Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:53:19 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Reccomendations? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Reccomendations?  (Read 9298 times)
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« on: July 22, 2009, 12:02:40 PM »

Based solely on my liking the following movies, tell me what others you would suggest:

(in no particular order)
Naked Lunch
Eraserhead
Liquid Sky
Videodrome
THX 1138

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:04:38 PM »

the demon seed.  sci fi plus weird
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:08:22 PM »

More David Lynch.

Lost Highway
Inland Empire
Mulholland Drive

Hmm....what else...

I'm guessing you've seen The Brood ?

Society ?

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
hellbilly
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 12:32:19 PM »

Andrzej Zulawski's Possession (1981)
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »

The Sinful Dwarf

Braindead (the 80's one, not the Peter Jackson one)

Begotten

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »

the demon seed.  sci fi plus weird

I'll try that one, Thanks.

More David Lynch.

Lost Highway
Inland Empire
Mulholland Drive

Hmm....what else...

I'm guessing you've seen The Brood ?

Society ?

I've seen them all except Inland Empire. Good examples though, I'll give Inland Empire a try.

Andrzej Zulawski's Possession (1981)

I'll give it a shot, Thanks.

The Sinful Dwarf

Braindead (the 80's one, not the Peter Jackson one)

Begotten

I see two Braindeads, one made in 1990, and one in 2007. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:50:22 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 12:47:26 PM »

I've seen them all except Inland Empire. Good examples though, I'll give Inland Empire a try.

INLAND EMPIRE is mesmerizing . . . but plan to watch it 3 or 4 times before you even begin to understand it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 12:54:29 PM »

I see two Braindeads, one made in 1990, and one in 2007. Thanks.

Darn, I meant the 1990 one. Forgot the year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099173/

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 12:59:19 PM »

INLAND EMPIRE is mesmerizing . . . but plan to watch it 3 or 4 times before you even begin to understand it.

I'm still trying to understand it.

I think it's weird for weirdness sake.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »

In the Mouth of Madness
TITUS (a futuristic, sci-fi adaptation of Shakespeare's worst play ever, with Anthony Hopkins and Jessica Lange, it is beyond weird)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 03:15:52 PM »

Forbidden Zone
12 Monkeys

Maybe Jacob's Ladder
Possibly The Dark Backward, though I don't personally care for that one too much.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »

Maybe Jacob's Ladder

Why didn't my noodle sponge think of that!?  Question

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 04:43:47 PM »

Z.P.G. (1972)

Small | Large

Ken Russel's the DEVILS (1971)

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 03:27:21 AM »

Forbidden Zone
12 Monkeys

Maybe Jacob's Ladder
Possibly The Dark Backward, though I don't personally care for that one too much.

I don't think Andrew has forgiven me for bringing The Dark Backward to his attention. But, hey, if you like that one, check out Motorama or Rubin & Ed. (Neither of those is on DVD.)

Judging by your suggested movies, I think you should naturally check out any movies directed by David Lynch, David Cronenberg, or Terry Gilliam. They are all off-kilter, and there are more hits than misses.

Sideways, I recommend you check out anything written by Philip K. Dick, especially his later period when he was in the midst of a full-fledged mental breakdown.

Movies though:

The Reflecting Skin - Another movie only available in the U.S. on VHS. Miserably disturbing film. I'd be glad to lend you my copy, as long as I get it back. (You can probably find it for cheap anyway.)

Pi hits the bill, but you've probably seen it.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Herzog and Kinski at their best.

Being There - The best political film ever made?

The Butcher Boy - Like Oliver Twist, except the hero does not escape any childhood trauma, but slowly becomes more and more disturbed. Told from his point of view!

Clean, Shaven - Probably the most accurate, visceral portrayal of schizophrenia I've ever seen. You will cringe.

Dead Man - Well, you might not like this, but it's one of my favorite movies.

Intacto - Spanish thriller that builds up to more than the sum of its parts.

Paprika - Or any other anime directed by Satoshi Kon. That guy is crazy, and able to communicate it in style.

Oldboy - Or any other movie by Chan-wook Park. Same as above.

The Ruling Class - A fairly demented take on class structure in '70s England. Really, pretty weird.

Save the Green Planet! - South Korea is quickly becoming one of my favorite film producers. This movie is demented.

The Signal - Probably my favorite low-budget (it doesn't show) horror film in recent years. Very good, and surprisingly funny.

Touching the Void - A mountaineering expedition gone wrong. Starts out bad and slowly gets worse. Really explores the outer edge of human suffering. (Really, the Bony M song is above and beyond your average level of torture.)

Yeah, I just flipped through my Netflix 5-star ratings to give you a sampler, but those seem like they would at least be up your alley.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 10:17:43 AM »

I don't think Andrew has forgiven me for bringing The Dark Backward to his attention. But, hey, if you like that one, check out Motorama or Rubin & Ed. (Neither of those is on DVD.)

Judging by your suggested movies, I think you should naturally check out any movies directed by David Lynch, David Cronenberg, or Terry Gilliam. They are all off-kilter, and there are more hits than misses.

Sideways, I recommend you check out anything written by Philip K. Dick, especially his later period when he was in the midst of a full-fledged mental breakdown.

Movies though:

The Reflecting Skin - Another movie only available in the U.S. on VHS. Miserably disturbing film. I'd be glad to lend you my copy, as long as I get it back. (You can probably find it for cheap anyway.)

Pi hits the bill, but you've probably seen it.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Herzog and Kinski at their best.

Being There - The best political film ever made?

The Butcher Boy - Like Oliver Twist, except the hero does not escape any childhood trauma, but slowly becomes more and more disturbed. Told from his point of view!

Clean, Shaven - Probably the most accurate, visceral portrayal of schizophrenia I've ever seen. You will cringe.

Dead Man - Well, you might not like this, but it's one of my favorite movies.

Intacto - Spanish thriller that builds up to more than the sum of its parts.

Paprika - Or any other anime directed by Satoshi Kon. That guy is crazy, and able to communicate it in style.

Oldboy - Or any other movie by Chan-wook Park. Same as above.

The Ruling Class - A fairly demented take on class structure in '70s England. Really, pretty weird.

Save the Green Planet! - South Korea is quickly becoming one of my favorite film producers. This movie is demented.

The Signal - Probably my favorite low-budget (it doesn't show) horror film in recent years. Very good, and surprisingly funny.

Touching the Void - A mountaineering expedition gone wrong. Starts out bad and slowly gets worse. Really explores the outer edge of human suffering. (Really, the Bony M song is above and beyond your average level of torture.)

Yeah, I just flipped through my Netflix 5-star ratings to give you a sampler, but those seem like they would at least be up your alley.

Thanks Mofo, I have seen almost every Cronenberg and Lynch film, and a couple by Gilliam. The two Davids are dead-center on my radar screen, one of the reasons I was disappointed with "Twin Peaks". I've seen Clean, Shaven, at the suggestion of someone here (good suggestion BTW, suggested due to my interest in Cronenberg's 'spider', another favorite), and I have Agguire: Wrath of God, but haven't watched it yet, one of the few movies I have that I've not watched. I've not seen Pi, I'll check that out. Unfortunately, I have no access to nor way to watch VHS movies, I do thank you for the offer though.

especially his later period when he was in the midst of a full-fledged mental breakdown.

Wow, I've heard of a few making intense movies while going through a divorce (Cronenberg did, and I believe Lynch did also), but never by someone truly losing their mind. I'll check that out. Thanks for the help.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Reccomendations? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.