Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:39:02 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Semicolon « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Semicolon  (Read 5033 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 12:01:18 PM »

Without the Semi-colon, I wouldn't be able to make the winky-smiley face to women I'm trying to have cyber-sex with.

I don't think ghouck is joking... Bluesad

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 03:53:27 AM »

I remember being taught about it in school, but I've never really used it because I didn't know how or when.

I wrote that in my original post.
Would the semicolon work in that sentence?
It would read: "I remember being taught about it in school; but I've never really used it because I didn't know how or when".

Is that correct?

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 04:17:43 AM »

I remember being taught about it in school, but I've never really used it because I didn't know how or when.

It would read: "I remember being taught about it in school; but I've never really used it because I didn't know how or when".

Is that correct?

Not quite. Just remember that the semicolon is a bit less than a full period stop, but a bit more than a comma.

Since you added "but," the sentence only requires a comma. If you left that out, you could probably use the semicolon.

"I remember being taught about it in school; I've never really used it because..."

But you could probably just make it a period and get rid of worrying about it altogether.

Correct punctuation should be used to avoid ambiguity. Myself, I think when punctuation is properly used it should become invisible. I also try and get rid of extraneous bits whenever possible.

How awkward would this be?

Myself, I think, when punctuation is properly used, it should become invisible; I, also, try and get rid of extraneous bits, whenever possible.

A bit overpowering. Keep it simple.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 08:12:22 AM »

Is that correct?

Mofo Rising is correct. An alternate version of your sentence where a semicolon is needed might be:

"I remember being taught about it in school; however, I've never really used it because I didn't know how or when."

Another good point Mofo Rising made is that punctuation should seem invisible, only appearing to make a sentence's meaning clearer.

Punctuation "rules" (there are very few hard and fast rules in grammar; "conventions" is a better term) are fluid. That is, they change as society changes them, as do grammar and usage. One hundred years ago, there were definite "rules" about when to use "thou" or "you." As "thee" and "thou" fell out of general use, those conventions ceased. When I was in college, a group of teachers got together and codified all the comma rules in a "simple" form: State the rule, give one example, and then move on. There were about one hundred of them. By the time I started teaching composition courses, that number had dropped to about six.

If you are really interested in learning more about proper punctuation (and hey, who isn't?  TeddyR), go to a used book store and buy a recent grammar handbook such as The Little, Brown Handbook. Make sure it was published in the last five years or so. It should be cheap; few people keep them after college. Recent handbooks do a good job of explaining usage.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
3mnkids

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 12:19:37 PM »

If you are really interested in learning more about proper punctuation (and hey, who isn't?  TeddyR), go to a used book store and buy a recent grammar handbook such as The Little, Brown Handbook. Make sure it was published in the last five years or so. It should be cheap; few people keep them after college. Recent handbooks do a good job of explaining usage.

I will see If I can find it. I'm terrible with punctuation.   Lookingup  Its embarrassing when my 13 yr old is looking over my shoulder as I type and starts correcting me.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Semicolon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.