Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:39:31 AM
714235 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Duellists (1977) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Duellists (1977)  (Read 2801 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 22, 2009, 05:42:54 PM »

Plot: France, early XIX century. D'Hubert, a young soldier, is ordered to arrest another one, Ferand, after he badly wounds a personality during a duel. But D'Hubert doesn't count with Ferand's fierce nature, and ends up duelling Ferand himself. Over 15 years they duel again everytime they meet, despite D'Hubert's intentions to leave it all behind.

Comments: I think this is the only Ridley Scott film I hadn't seen yet, and it's a good one. It's his first movie, but you can notice many of his trademarks already, specially his eye for breathtaking visuals. But I'm afraid it's not a film without important flaws. The script reduces pretty much everything to the duelling plot. Sometimes that works well, specially at the beginning, when any meeting between D'Hubert and Ferand leds almost inmediately to a duel. Such urgency reflects well Ferand's obsession with killing D'Hubert, but as the film progresses the result of the final duel becomes the only thing to wait for.

And that alone is a problem, but Ridley Scott's focus on aesthetics rather than in moving the plot forward only makes it more evident. Thankfully, there are moments when Scott's visuals rise to the occassion and alone justify the viewing, such as in the wonderful chapter of the Russian campaign. And also thankfully Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel both deliver terrific performances (I for one was pleased to see Carradine as the lead, so far I had only seen him in supporting roles). But sometimes those are the only things that keep the film from looking like a "Barry Lyndon" wannabe.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:45:34 PM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 05:01:29 PM »

I've seen this one and enjoyed it. Thus, a couple of things to note. First, supposedly the film was based on a true incident. Both duellists were in the French army, and whenever they were stationed close to each other, they would get together and fight a duel. If there is any good news, the two duellists were so evenly matched in skill, the duels always ended in a draw, until such time friends were able to reconcile the two duellists.

Second, I don't know if anybody likes sword duels, but if you do, this is regarded as having some of the best ever filmed.
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:16:40 AM »

Who doesn't like sword duels?  I thought every man in the world liked sword duels!

The DVD sums this one up nicely.  I think there's a quote calling it a "staggeringly gorgeous" film, which is accurate.  Some of the most incredible images and shots I've ever seen.  Many stills from this could be framed and mounted as photographic artwork.  Great, great stuff.

Keith Carradine and Keitel are also actually quite good in their respective performances, which is also nice.

But yeah, the storyline is a little too one-note and there's not enough stuff in it otherwise to quite justify its 100 minute run time.  A little bit more didn't need to be added to the plot, the film just needed to be shorter.  I think maybe 20 minutes shaved off would have helped tremendously. 

Still, a solid 7/10.

BTW, I like this post from Ted Sewell, who has worked in costuming in Hollywood from some time.

"As stated, 'The Duellist' had a small budget. So, the uniforms used in the movie was dictated by what was available at Western Costume. We did our research and did the best we could on the costumes. It was easier to change the regiment than make new costumes. Keith and Harvey were wearing costumes originally made for movies dating back to the twenties and thirties. I.E. King Vidor's 'War and Peace.' You can't imagine how many rotten old pants split during those dueling scenes. We did make some new costumes for the leads but we still had to match the uniforms we had the most of. My bona fides? Look me up on IMDB. "

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0075968/board/nest/109686253

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0786604/

Fascinating stuff.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Duellists (1977) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.