Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:59:16 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  My Bloody Valentine (re-make) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Bloody Valentine (re-make)  (Read 4507 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: July 23, 2009, 01:28:38 AM »

- before anyone says, I did a search for this on here (turned out to be only one thread, which was only for the trailer) and was greeted by this:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 180 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

so here's my new topic.

as a fan of the original film I was quite apprehensive about seeing this rehash , but to my suprise I thought it kicked ass! super-gory deaths, didn't get boring, a cool updated twist on the original, and sometimes funny as well.

possibly the best pointless horror remake (equal with The Hills Have Eyes) that I've seen.

what did anyone else make of it? (and also why was it billed as '3-D' in the cinema versions - did anyone see that, and did that add anything to it?)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:30:36 AM by DCA » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 02:42:09 AM »

I thought it wasn't very good. I also enjoyed it.

The not good part was that it was very cheesy. Poor acting, poor story, and no real surprises.

The good was that there was a lot of mayhem. An average slasher film, not great, but enjoyable enough.

It was billed as 3-D because it was in 3-D in some theaters. Not the old style blue-red 3-D, but I think something more akin to IMAX or Captain EO 3-D.

I didn't see it in the theaters, which I am sad for, because that would have made it so much better. Without the 3-D effects you're left with an average movie.

Like I said, it wasn't good, but I still liked it.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Cthulhu

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 06:22:58 AM »

I agree. Even though I didn't see the original I enjoyed the remake. It wasn't a wussy pg-13 flick. It had full frontal nudity! And gore! In 3D!
I saw it in a cinema with a few friends and a great time. Mostly from laughing at the film, but that not important.
The 3D was actually pretty good at some parts, even though sometimes it was obvious that they just wanted to exploit it to all it's worth. The axe throwing scene freaked people out.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:27:05 AM »

Saw it with a friend in theaters in 3D and I think that made all the difference.  In that setting it was a fun night out, other wise if I had seen it on TV or video I would have thought it was a pretty decent horror film.  Nothing really remarkable, but not really that bad.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »

possibly the best pointless horror remake (equal with The Hills Have Eyes) that I've seen.
Okay, I haven't seen this yet but I have seen the original (As well as the original "Hills"), and as ashamed as I am to say it, it's a fairly flawed film for how cool it is. I've actually heard this one is scarier than the original and employs traditional direction, unlike many modern horror films. You said this one was a good popcorn film, but is it actually pretty well done?

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 12:18:14 PM »

(and also why was it billed as '3-D' in the cinema versions - did anyone see that, and did that add anything to it?)

You can get it on DVD in 3-D, too.  But it's not the excellent theatrical 3-D . . . it's red / green "blur-o-vision." 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 02:01:07 PM »

Original is better in my HO.  Smile

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »

You said this one was a good popcorn film, but is it actually pretty well done?
in an overall entertainment sense, and a technical sense (i.e. special FX, general production values etc) I would say yeah, well made...

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 07:54:05 PM »

Original is better in my HO.  Smile
damnit! don't call b***hes ho's  Smile

yeah I think the original was probably good for its time, but me and my friend watched the remake, then attempted to watch the OG straight afterwards to compare them, but after 5 minutes we couldn't be bothered because the original is pretty slow moving, in comparison. taken on its own merits it's a good film though.

as for the 3-D stuff, I wouldn't want to watch the DVD thru those weird red/blue/green whatever glasses...don't see how that could add to it. in the cinema, then maybe, cuz then you're more up for having an 'experience' (or something)...

BTM

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 08:15:40 AM »

I thought it was okay... wish they had actually attempted more of a surprise with the ending though.  Haven't seen the original, I may have to look it up.

(mild spoiler)

In the beginning of the film where that one dude wakes up from a coma, I have to say, he's pretty good! He manages to take out about half a dozen people (some apparently standing in the same hallway) WITHOUT making too much noise, or anyone screaming, thus alerting the nurse (the final victim) to what's going on.

Is this guy like The Flash of serial killers or something?

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »

I thought it was alright. I saw it in theaters, and liked it enough there, but I credit that mostly to the excellent 3-D, and the the little tingle of joy that went up my spine in seeing Tom Atkins' mustache in three dimensions (lol). As a movie, sans the 3-D element, it's so-so. Better than most of the current crop of remakes, but that's not saying much. So far, The Hills Have Eyes has been the best one in my opinion, but I still prefer the original. Both new TCM movies blew. Dawn Of The Dead remake blew. NOTLD 3-D blew. The Hitcher blew. House Of Wax blew. Prom Night blew. Friday The 13th blew. They all just flat-out blew. But Hills Have Eyes was pretty decent actually, and, even without the 3-D, like I said, this one was okay. I wouldn't own it on DVD, though, and I'll probably never see it again. It's alright, but it'll never rise above mediocre. Without the 3-D, it's pretty much useless.

By the way, just curious, did anyone else notice that, structurally, this remake felt more like a remake of Cutting Class than My Bloody Valentine? Sure, it had the whole My Bloody Valentine backstory and setting and stuff, but the story itself felt much, much more like Cutting Class to me than anything else.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  My Bloody Valentine (re-make) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.