Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:01:26 AM
714336 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  what happened to saturday morning cartoons? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: what happened to saturday morning cartoons?  (Read 18812 times)
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 24, 2009, 09:14:20 PM »

saturday mornings dont mean anything anymore. its sad, this used to be the best part of the whole week for a kid. especially in the 80s with so much variety, there was a lot of anticipation. i think s/mornings died out towards the end of the 90s. kids nowadays dont even care about cartoons, most have never even seen a real cartoon, just that mass produced manga-looking computer crap. sometimes i think thats a big part of our screwed-up society, kids dont want to be kids anymore.  i guess its more profitable to put old cartoons on dvd sets and charge an arm and a leg instead of showing them on tv.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 12:05:52 AM »

Saturday morning cartoons have sucked since the late 80's, as far as I can tell.

You can still see The Herculoids and Thundarr and other good stuff via Youtube, but the stuff on air is crap.... edited Warner bros cartoons, lots of stuff I don't even recognize.

In the 80's, even the bad cartoons were enjoyable and watchable (ie, Mr T cartoons) on a certain level.  And you had stuff like Buck Rogers thrown in amidst the other shows.

I used to get up at 6:30 or 7, every saturday, and make hot chocolate, and watch straight on through until about noon... the good stuff started to flicker out into sports coverage (boooring!) about 11:30 or so.

That sound familiar to anyone else here?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 09:47:16 AM »

Saterday mornings were a holiday. The Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Show,Spiderman,Johnny Quest-and I agree with Zap-the old Warner Bros. carttons have been edited for PC standerds.

Todays Saterday!
 Cartoon time! YAY!!!! Break out the Quisp and Quake!  Smile
Small | Large

How many of the stars do you recognize?

Classic!-
Billy boyboyboy-
Small | Large

You'll never see this on TV again....
Small | Large

When Captain America throws his mighty sheild----!

Small | Large

Yes-the animation is p**s poor.And the quality of this video is as well.But not as bad as trying to pull it in on rabbit ears in the sixties!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 09:53:48 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »

I agree that Saturday morning cartoons used to be a cool ritual.  But now kids can watch cartoons any hour of the day, any day of the week on The Cartoon Network, Nickolodeon, Disney Channel, etc.  I bet if you'd offered me that deal when I was 7 or 8, I would have taken it in a millisecond.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:04:07 PM »

I agree that Saturday morning cartoons used to be a cool ritual.  But now kids can watch cartoons any hour of the day, any day of the week on The Cartoon Network, Nickolodeon, Disney Channel, etc.  I bet if you'd offered me that deal when I was 7 or 8, I would have taken it in a millisecond.   

That's a good point Rev, I know I would have jumped at the chance to watch all that stuff any time of the day. I guess part of the nostalgia for Saturday Morning cartoons is the ritual itself, looking forward to it after a week of school planning out which shows to watch on which channels. Sometimes this was difficult if you had brothers and sisters. I seem to remember also in the early '80s USA had the Cartoon Express which was around six hours of cartoons.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »

Saturday morning cartoons have sucked since the late 80's, as far as I can tell.

I'd say they lasted til the mid 90s, at least in my area...  I grew up from the late 80s to that period watching Saturday Morning cartoons.  I watched a lot of misc. crap, about an hour of Looney Tunes, Tiny Toons, reruns of Animaniacs and other WB shows, and a number of other bits.  I do seem to recall by the mid 90s there were very few NEW shows being shown on Saturday Mornings anymore though.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 09:51:58 PM »

Yes indeed...what happened to them and why the f--k are they all anime like now for the ones we actually have on?

Saturdays during the 80s was the sh*t for television.  I recall watching Gummy Bears, Wuzzles, Snorks and most importantly Looney Toons.  I always caught Looney Tunes with my father and laughing together with him at the zany antics brings back so many awesome memories of those days.  

I used to get up at 6:30 or 7, every saturday, and make hot chocolate, and watch straight on through until about noon... the good stuff started to flicker out into sports coverage (boooring!) about 11:30 or so.

That sound familiar to anyone else here?

I think I was up at 6 or 7 and before the annimated fun, I would watch a local guy named Captain Bob who used to draw pictures of ocean wildlife.  Then after the cartoon-fest, I'd catch some lame Kung Fu flicks.  All seeds planted for who I am now.  

I agree that Saturday morning cartoons used to be a cool ritual.  But now kids can watch cartoons any hour of the day, any day of the week on The Cartoon Network, Nickolodeon, Disney Channel, etc.  I bet if you'd offered me that deal when I was 7 or 8, I would have taken it in a millisecond.    
I agree for the most part but it was the waiting for Saturday that made it so cool.  Almost like your reward for making it through the week at school.  

Hell, I remember in the 80s they had a big preview show for all the new cartoons that were coming out the Friday before. 

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:54:36 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:14:52 AM »

Saturday mornings...

Lets see, I remember Bucky O Hare, Batman TAS, The Real Ghostbusters, Animaniacs, Chip 'n' Dale, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Street Sharks (channel 4 used to have loads)...lots of others, mainly repeats of 80's cartoons..

What happened ?

I like Recess, Kim Possible, Fairly Odd Parents and Johnny Bravo so not all modern stuff is rubbish.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »

Saved by the Bell killed the Saturday morning cartoon. Once the networks discovered a poorly produced live-action show could out-profit a poorly produced animated show, the cartoon's days were numbered. Soon Saturday morning, and television in general, was awash in bad live action shows; a process that is still ongoing today every day of the week.

But I agree with the Rev., cable television has made the single day of cartoon's unnecessary.

I don't agree with the hatred towards present day cartoons or anime. Children's entertainment is across the board generally poor, we just generally get to pick and choose our memories to remember the good stuff and forget the crap. I mean, I love Camp Candy as much as the next person, but I never want to go back and see it again.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 12:04:40 PM »

Saturday mornings were a good time for me.  I saw Cardcaptors, Recess, Pokemon, Batman Begins, Animainaics, Static Shock, Jackie Chan: Adventures, Men in Black: The Series, and Extreme Ghostbusters.  Good times, good times...

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Doggett

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 01:49:55 PM »

Saved by the Bell killed the Saturday morning cartoon. Once the networks discovered a poorly produced live-action show could out-profit a poorly produced animated show, the cartoon's days were numbered. Soon Saturday morning, and television in general, was awash in bad live action shows; a process that is still ongoing today every day of the week.

Oh, man.

I forgot about that, and you're right it is rubbish.

Yet I'm strangley nostalgic for the theme tune...

Small | Large

The opening credits have all been disabled ! Hatred
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:20:12 AM by doggett » Logged

Jamtoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 07:14:32 PM »

Not all Saturday Cartoons, but I grew up with these:

Mighty Orbots:
Small | Large

M.A.S.K.
Small | Large

Pole Position:
Small | Large

Galaxy Rangers:
Small | Large

Thunderbirds 2086:
Small | Large

Blackstar:
Small | Large

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:24:20 PM by Jamtoy » Logged

Seven years on MacGyver and you cannot figure this out? We got belt buckles, shoe laces, and a piece of gum. Build a nuclear reactor for crying out loud.  You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, MacGimmick, and now you are now 'Mr. MacUseless'.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 06:58:37 AM »

Mighty Orbots was a good one I remember, Pac-Man I liked too. One show I do not recall the name of had two super cars a blue and a red one with computer personalities ala KIT. They could change into hovercrafts. For me though the penultimate Saturday Morning cartoon experience was Dungeons & Dragons.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 11:04:19 AM »

I wouldn't have traded it, honestly.  QUALITY over QUANTITY.  The new cartoons suck.  Have you seen the new Scooby Doo?  The new Batman? The new Ninja Turtles?  Not as good as their '70s-late '80s counterparts.  At all.  It's a shame, really.

For me, personally, I'd wake up at like, 7:00, watch all the cartoons until about 11:00, then there'd be WWF Superstars on USA Network from 11-1.  Good time.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Doggett

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 01:10:43 PM »

The new Ninja Turtles? 

*shudders*

I saw that yesterday...

No wonder kids today are morons !
It doesn't even have a good theme tune.  Hatred

Man, it was poor...

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  what happened to saturday morning cartoons? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.