Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:50:59 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  "Let the Right One In" (aka: Låt den rätte komma in) 2008 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Let the Right One In" (aka: Låt den rätte komma in) 2008  (Read 21548 times)
p1zl3
Dedicated Viewer

Kill'n it...

« on: July 27, 2009, 03:03:02 PM »

Let the Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in):

--Let me start by saying, "Wow, I didn't see this coming!". This film is very impressive from beginning to end. It's rich in character, story, cinematography, and effects. The actors are young, but seem to move naturally in front of the camera and carry this unsettling story along well. With exception of a few minor scenes, this film is absolutely brilliant!

Story: A young boy named Oscar (Kåre Hedebrant) is living in an apartment complex with his mother and attending his local grade-school where he is the ridicule of bullies and teachers alike. He stays removed from his peers and that makes him an easy target for pranks and abuse. Oscar feels alone and rejected by the world which gives place for evil desires and fascinations to brew inside him...
   One evening Oscar leaves the apartment to vent his frustrations, when he is met in the courtyard by a mysterious newcomer to the complex, Eli (Lina Leandersson). She is quizzical and interested in Oscar which immediately draws him near her and closer to her dark secret....

That's as far as I'll go, but know that the story is very interesting and holds true to the tradition and folklore of the genre, yet remains curiously original and fresh.

I give her a 9/10 or  Thumbup Thumbup     
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 06:45:15 PM »

I also thought the movie was great, even though I had to watch it with dumbed down subtitles.

MINOR SPOILER!
Makes you wonder how many "friends" she has made throughout the years.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
p1zl3
Dedicated Viewer

Kill'n it...

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »

I also thought the movie was great, even though I had to watch it with dumbed down subtitles.

The version I saw was english dubbed and I kinda wish I had gone the subtitle route. The dubbing was ok, but some of the character's voices just didn't seem to match them. Other than that (and the Oscar hand slice scene) it was a decent flick!
dean

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:53:55 AM »

Heard alot of good things about this one, but missed it at cinemas and regretted it.  Am looking for this one to be released on DVD soon!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:50:41 AM »

Excellent film all around, the bleak snow covered landscape is nearly a character in itself. This film brought a much needed breath of fresh air into the mostly stale Vampire genre. Sadly this is already slated to have a Hollywood remake  Bluesad I see signs of the [REC]/Quarantine debacle in its future.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
3mnkids

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 10:12:06 AM »

Excellent film all around, the bleak snow covered landscape is nearly a character in itself. This film brought a much needed breath of fresh air into the mostly stale Vampire genre. Sadly this is already slated to have a Hollywood remake  Bluesad I see signs of the [REC]/Quarantine debacle in its future.

It is a great movie. I love vampire movies and this is one of my favorites. The kids are great in it, its shot beautifully, and there isnt a lot of gore but, what it does have is pretty impressive.

Hollywood will muck it up like they always do. I just hope they dont sexualize the kids. The relationship between oskar and Eli is so sweet and innocent.

I hated Quarantine. It is very much like REC but just...off somehow.  It didnt give me that sense of claustrophobia like REC did. Hollywood needs to stop remaking foreign films. They suck at it. 

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »

I'm ambivalent toward vampires, and I hate kids.  (I also had the ending spoiled for me already.)

Should I bother seeing this?

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 04:15:07 PM »

I hated Quarantine. It is very much like REC but just...off somehow.  It didnt give me that sense of claustrophobia like REC did. Hollywood needs to stop remaking foreign films. They suck at it. 

Quarantine would have fared better if [REC] did not exist, as it is the changes they made were a step in the wrong direction. The terrorist slant they put on the zombie virus was not nearly as scary as the esoteric demonic possession that was hinted at in the original. That part was unexpected and could have been a whole another story in itself. How hard would it be for them to put some effort into promoting some of these superior films like they did for Pan's Labyrinth? Certainly it would be cheaper than making an entirely new film sometimes less than a year after the original in some cases. 

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
p1zl3
Dedicated Viewer

Kill'n it...

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »

Quarantine would have fared better if [REC] did not exist, as it is the changes they made were a step in the wrong direction. The terrorist slant they put on the zombie virus was not nearly as scary as the esoteric demonic possession that was hinted at in the original.  

Although that theme ("esoteric demonic possession") did present it's self in the final 5min of the film Quarantine. Look at the newspaper clippings and other props scattered throughout the final hidden room, it has demonic occultism written all over it. Terrorist biochemical warfare was simply societies explanation of unexplainable/supernatural events...

It was creepy, I kinda dug it!

Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 10:33:07 AM »

Yeah I guess you are right, but I still did not care for the spin they tried to put on it as much. I saw [REC] months before, and it was just even more creepier by the end to me. Whoever did the ad campaign for Quarantine should have been fired though, not since they revealed the final two seconds of Phantasm 2 in the trailer has a movie been so blatantly spoiled ahead of time. On the poster even, and DVD cover as well. 

3mnkids

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 12:46:40 PM »

I'm ambivalent toward vampires, and I hate kids.  (I also had the ending spoiled for me already.)

I would say yes.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
p1zl3
Dedicated Viewer

Kill'n it...

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 02:51:57 PM »

Honestly, I hate vampire movies. I think the entire concept of vampires has been molested so badly by neo-goth teenage crybabies*, and mainstream media that it no longer holds any fear factor, but this film didn't really feel like a vampire movie. It was more of dark fairytale about friendship, innocence lost, and personal sacrifice.

...the vampirism is present, but more or less a sub-text.

Notation *:

SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 09:30:02 PM »

Thumbup Just saw this the other night. I don't really care for vampire movies but this was amazing.

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 03:30:10 PM »

I alway say if you hate vampire films still watch this. Its just great.  Cheers

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 05:44:53 PM »

I'm glad to see this one listed, because it allows me to say, despite all the good reviews for it, I really, really have problems with this film. To whit . . .

The empathy
As someone who rather ride with the villains in a film, rather than the heroes, my empathy runs toward the bullies and not their victim.

Violence against children
As some long forgotten character say in some long forgotten novel by some long forgotten novelist, though I have always remembered what he said: "To kill a man is bad. To kill a woman is worst. But, to kill a child. . . ? (Shaking his head) You just don't do it."

Revenge killings
I know this is a film and not reality, but I really, really have problems with revenge killings.

Thus, these problems will probably prevent me from ever seeing this film, or the American and/or British remakes, which are suppose to be on the way.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  "Let the Right One In" (aka: Låt den rätte komma in) 2008 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.