Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:53 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Any blood donors here? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Any blood donors here?  (Read 5818 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: July 28, 2009, 05:24:45 AM »

I am one, blood type 0+, which the Sir Christopher Lee imitators at the SA National Blood Donor Service tell me is a good type, as my blood can be given to all other blood types, except AB-.  Smile

I'm not squeamish, I don't mind needles and I don't care who gets my blood so long as it helps, but what does bother me is: "What happens to the poor bugger that gets my blood? Don't they go a little nuts?"  Buggedout Buggedout

Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:41:03 AM »

I used to be a frequent donor.  In fact, I was in a special program about 20 years ago where I gave blood on a regular schedule for an entire year.  I have type AB - , and there was a shortage of this type of blood.  So, I signed up for the 1 year donor program.  The last time I gave blood was around 8 or 10 years ago.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Paquita

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:44:02 AM »

I never give blood.  I'm not afraid of getting shots, but having blood (or anything) drawn makes me faint, especially if the phlebotomist is terrible.   I'm AB+ which means I can take anyone's blood (does that make me a vampire?), but only other AB+ can take my blood, but they don't need it cuz they can take anyone's blood too.  So I registered to be a bone marrow donor to make myself useful.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:44:39 AM »

The sight of needles and blood makes me sick to my stomach  Bluesad

But good for you guys for doin' it !  Thumbup
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:29:51 AM by doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:46:56 AM »

O- here, I must be the anti-Trevor. If Trevor and I met and shook hands, would we cancel each other out and be zapped out of existence? If so, would there be a giant release of energy, possibly collapsing all of creation into itself?

I've given blood, but not in quite a while. I used to a bunch when I was younger, part of the fun was seeing all the bigger guys pass out, that and free cookies and orange juice.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 04:36:28 PM »

Nobody would want my blood-it's all messed up. But I'll take some!  Drink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 01:41:18 AM »

O- here, I must be the anti-Trevor. If Trevor and I met and shook hands, would we cancel each other out and be zapped out of existence? If so, would there be a giant release of energy, possibly collapsing all of creation into itself?

BounceGiggle TeddyR

I would like to meet you one day and looking at the amount of work I have before they let me go on leave, getting zapped out of existence isn't a bad idea.  TeddyR

I've given blood, but not in quite a while. I used to a bunch when I was younger, part of the fun was seeing all the bigger guys pass out, that and free cookies and orange juice.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I don't know what they put in the OJ at the blood donor clinic in Pretoria, but it is really sweet ~ enough to rot your teeth.  Buggedout

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 03:05:02 AM »

I give blood whenever I can, which translates to when it is most convenient for me. But that's quite often. If the blood truck is available on campus, and I have some free time, go ahead and suck some blood out of me.

O+ is the most common blood type in the world, but highly sought after because we can donate blood to almost everybody. (I'm O+.) Ghouck, you're O- negative blood is what they call a universal donor. If you don't mind, you should give blood whenever possible, because everybody can use it. Seriously, if you don't mind needles, giving blood is a very easy thing you can do that will help a lot of people.

The downside to you being a universal donor is that you are not a universal recipient. Quite the contrary in fact. All the more reason to give blood.

My main problem with giving blood is that I have small veins. I would give "Power Red," but the last time I tried the technician nicked my vein and left all my blood, which I use regularly, pumping into the skin under my arm. I ended up looking like somebody had pounded my arm with a crowbar. (It didn't hurt in the slightest, that's just what it looked like.)

I really promote everybody to give blood. If you give blood, you're really only a couple of cheeseburgers away from recouping your loss. In the meantime, your blood may save somebody's life. It only takes an hour or so, and they usually give you cookies and juice.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 03:51:25 AM »

I used to donate plasma all the time.
Haven't done it in about a year because it started to get excruciatingly painful each time I got stuck.  It would hurt badly the entire time I was donating so I gave it up.
Got a permanent scar on the inside of my right arm from all the donations I've made.

Funnt story about that...

During my very first donation ever, the little connector valve that holds the tube together broke with about 2-3 minutes left to go in the donation. (before they give you that ice cold saline)
Instead of my red blood cells going back into my body, it leaked out of the valve and all over down into the chair.
Because of the way my arm was positioned, I never felt the blood trickle down.  And it was wintertime so I was wearing long johns and jeans and couldn't feel it through them.

When the donation was complete, the phlebotomist came over to disconnect me and said out loud, "Oh my God!"
There was a ton of blood all over the back part of my shirt, the seat of my pants, and down my legs.
I had been sitting in a puddle of my own blood for several minutes and didn't even know it.   On my very first donation!  Buggedout

They were apologetic and gave me these plastic-like bloodproof blue sheets of material they use there. (can't think of what they're called) 
I put them on the seat of my car and sat on them so I wouldn't stain my seats with blood on the drive home.
When I got home I scrubbed the pants and shirt thoroughly in the kitchen sink using cold water and detergent.
The blood came right out!   Smile  You couldn't even tell that blood had been on them.

You'd think that after having a first time donation like that, I'd never go back.
It didn't deter me.  I ended up donationg twice a week for years after that.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:56:59 AM by Ash » Logged
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 06:47:54 AM »

Buggedout Yikes, Ash, that couldn't have been pleasant for you at all.

About the 5th time I gave blood, the nurse attending me was hopeless. First of all, she couldn't find a vein and then when she did, she pumped the needle in away like a mad garage mechanic.  Buggedout Then later on, she told me the blood wasn't flowing into the bag quickly enough, so she wrenched my hand and arm up.

Errmmmm...... I have a needle in my arm, lady!!!!!!!  Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

Needless to say, I swore loud enough to peel the paper off the walls and didn't go back there for a while. When I went back again, she had resigned or been fired, one of the two.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 07:03:52 AM »

and left all my blood, which I use regularly

TeddyR BounceGiggle

One would hope so.  Wink

The cookies and juice (our clinic also has coffee) part of it is one of the reasons I go frequently.  Smile

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 05:23:57 PM »

Yes, but the operative word is "was.' I use to give blood, about twice an year, then I found out I had hepatitis, and as hepatitis is a blood-borne disease, I can't give anymore. But, I sure enjoyed giving it out, when I could.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 02:51:59 AM »

You'd think that after having a first time donation like that, I'd never go back.
It didn't deter me.  I ended up donationg twice a week for years after that.

Twice a week? That is way more than you should.

The phlebotomists here make me wait three months before I donate again. That is a LOT of blood to give. You need to give yourself some time to make new blood cells. You need them.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »

I used to give blood regularly, in spite of being one of those big guys who passes out, now that I take medication for a heart condition I can't donate any more. I have to have blood tests 1  to 2 times a month though, after 8 years of this I no longer pass out, in fact I've been used as an example to show children and nervous adults that having blood sucked out of a vein in your arm is no big deal. The idea still scares me, I just don't show it.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 03:25:44 PM »

Twice a week? That is way more than you should.

The phlebotomists here make me wait three months before I donate again. That is a LOT of blood to give. You need to give yourself some time to make new blood cells. You need them.

I was donating plasma, not blood.   Smile
When you donate plasma, the machine runs in two cycles.  The collection cycle and the return cycle.
During the return cycle, your red blood cells are returned to you.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Any blood donors here? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.