Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:51:33 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE HURT LOCKER « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE HURT LOCKER  (Read 2049 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: August 01, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this film yet.  Maybe it's not playing in enough theaters?  It's definitely worth a look if you have the chance to see it. iHere's my capsule:

The adventures of a three man American bomb squad in Iraq led by an unhinged adrenaline junkie. Great character development is just a bonus to this thrilling film that thrives on incredibly tense and believable wartime set pieces. 

This is the best movie I've seen in 2009; I'm tempted to give it 5 out of 5 stars, though I'm hesitant to do that immediately after I've seen a movie.  It was a great theatrical experience, though; it really gives you a soldier's-eye view of some maddeningly tense situations.  Just like it would be for the soldiers, there's no way for the viewer to tell which of the Iraqi citizens at a given scene is an innocent bystander, and which one might be set to detonate an explosive with a cell phone as soon as a soldier gets close enough.

I wonder what any of the military folks here think of this movie?  I's particularly be interested in hearing Andrew's take, although I can understand if someone who's been to Iraq wouldn't exactly want to relive that experience. 

There's no real political content to it, which is refreshing.  For the most part, the soldiers were presented as normal people, extremely skilled but not perfect, trying to do an impossible job and just survive.   

Highly recommended.  My one question was whether an officer who so consistently and blatantly refused to follow proper protocol could get away with it for so long without being disciplined, no matter how good he was at disarming bombs.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 05:15:30 AM »

I think it's the best Irak movie I've seen so far, but it still has room for improvement. The action / bomb disarming scenes were terrific, but the characters were a bit shallow, and that the film didn't use big name actors somehow worsened that. A star, like it or not, has a certain background that helps you filling the gaps when the character is underdeveloped.

I rarely call for big names in a movie, but I think they would have helped here.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 05:59:30 PM »

Really wanted to see this.  I actually drove out to a theatre to go see it, had to go a good deal out of the way, but the theatre had the time wrong on their website and I missed it.   Hatred

This is directed by Kathryn Bigelow, who also did Point Break and Near Dark.  I'll see anything she does.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE HURT LOCKER « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.