Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:39:24 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Les Lye ("Barth" from You Can't Do That On Television) RIP « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Les Lye ("Barth" from You Can't Do That On Television) RIP  (Read 2591 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 23, 2009, 10:06:34 PM »

Canadian actor Les Lye has passed away.  He's probably most know to those of us who were kids in the 80s for playing all the male adult roles in the TV series You Can't Do That On Television.  He played Ross, Barth the cook, El Capitán, Senator Lance Prevert, you name it.

Anyway, I was a HUGE fan of that show when I was younger, I still to this day can remember a ton of the jokes and skits from it.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090722/OTT_Les_Lye_090722/20090722/?hub=OttawaHome

CTV Ottawa legend Les Lye passes away

Updated: Thu Jul. 23 2009 16:47:36

ctvottawa.ca

Actor and broadcaster Les Lye passed away on Tuesday at the age of 84.

Born in Toronto, Lye came to Ottawa after graduating from Lorne Greene's Academy of Radio Arts in 1948.

He joined CFRA Radio, where he served listeners for more than a decade. It was at CFRA, that he worked with Rich Little and they collaborated on a comedy album, 'My Fellow Canadians' - a spoof of the Diefenbaker years.

In 1961, he joined CJOH-TV as a freelance writer and performer. It was here, that he forged a long-lasting partnership with Bill Luxton. Together, they created the popular 'Willy & Floyd,' which ran for more than 20 years. Such personalities as Alanis Morissette, Klea Scott, Bruno Gerussi and Margaret Trudeau would drop by for surprise guest appearances.

Opportunity knocked when producers of 'You Can't Do That on Television' were looking for a versatile actor to play the many adult "foils" for the kids. Lye answered the call and instantly became a household name around the world.

Lye is survived by his wife Johnni, three children Brett, Daralyn and Emily.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:05:01 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:16:23 AM »

I loved YCDTOTV when I first watch it on my parents cable box back in 79 when Nick first came on. Les Lye was one of my favorite on the show. The skits with him as Barth was crazy. R.I.P Mr. Lye
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 06:45:27 PM »

I never seen the show, but I am familiar with him (Thank you Nostalgia Critic).  Such a shame.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
BTM

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 08:00:51 AM »

FINALLY, some replies!  This post got buried fast and I couldn't help but think, "Oh, come on! I couldn't have been the ONLY person on this board to have watched (and loved) that show as a kid!"

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Les Lye ("Barth" from You Can't Do That On Television) RIP « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.