Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:10:13 PM
714314 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  ORPHAN (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ORPHAN (2009)  (Read 4280 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 02, 2009, 07:40:41 AM »

Sure, it takes ideas from movies like THE BAD SEED, THE OMEN, and THE GOOD SON.  Sure it has the irritating plot element where one person knows what's really going on, but NOBODY ELSE WILL BELIEVE IT'S TRUE NO MATTER HOW MUCH EVIDENCE EXISTS AND IS SHOVED IN THEIR FACES!

That being said, I enjoyed this movie as a piece of "don't try to rationalize it" entertainment.  What makes the movie really work is Isabelle Fuhrman's performance as Esther.  Without such a creepy, believable performance, the numerous cliches would have overpowered the rest of the movie.  Vera Farmiga and Peter Sarsgaard are also good as the parents.

This movie is not especially gory, so if that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere.  However, it is creepy and suspenseful and better than most of the so-called "horror movies" I've seen in the past few years.  

*** SPOILER ***

One thing that bugged me is they made a big deal about Esther always wearing wrist bands and a neck band and refusing to take them off.  However, there's a sequence where she breaks her arm and goes to the hospital.  Wouldn't the doctor have removed her wrist band to take x-rays and put on her cast?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:54:40 AM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 04:41:27 PM »

Thumbup

Wife and I went hoping for a 'so bad it's funny' experience, and were surprised by how effective it was.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Torgo

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:59:38 AM »

Some friends of mine told me that Orphan was much better than they thought it would be. They also said that the trailer didn't do the movie any favors of which I agree.  I'll check this one out on dvd at some point.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
The Burgomaster

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:03:16 AM »

This "psychotic child" movie succeeds in many ways that DEVIL TIMES FIVE failed (see my post in the "Bad Movies" forum).  Believe me, Isabelle Fuhrman is much scarier than Leif Garrett!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
justin
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 06:29:24 PM »

I really enjoyed this one, 1 of the best movies of the year so far.  Thumbup  TeddyR
BTM

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 07:55:40 PM »

I'll catch this when it comes out on DVD, sadly though, I read an article somewhere that I think spoiled the surprise of the film.  (That or maybe it was talking about a different movie and I'm getting confused...)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 10:49:01 PM »

I finally saw this one this weekend and LOVED it!  I did not see the plot twist at the end coming at all, and overall found this to be one very effective and scary movie!  I think Esther trumps all the other "creepy kid" characters I have ever seen, and oddly enough, the scene with the pigeon bothered me more than the murders did.

EXCELLENT film!  Check it out if you haven't!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
The Burgomaster

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 07:50:14 PM »

I just bought the DVD with the "chilling alternate ending" in the special features section.  The theatrical ending is better (although definitely more "mainstream").  In fact, the alternate ending is more like a "non ending."

BTM

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »

Hey, just watched this with my parents and it was pretty good!  I have to admit though, there were some quibbles, as others have mentioned the whole "one person knows what's going on, but no one will believe them" type thing.  Not to mention the fact that hypothermia does not seem to exist in whatever universe this film takes place in.  (I'm not expert, seem to me like if feel through ice into freezing water, it would effect you slightly.)

Still, it was a very effective film, and Isabelle did a great job playing Ester.  Be neat to see what she does in the future.  

Neat fact: according to the imdb, she lost a role in the film Case 39, to one Jodelle Ferland, another talent young girl who's played her share of creepy roles (Mary in Kingdom Hospital and Alessa in Silent Hill).

I didn't see the alternate ending though, can someone send me a message telling me what happened?  

(Mild spoiler below)

Love that whole "normal picture/turn on the black light" sequence. Are those easy to do?  Gotta try that sometime...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:21:48 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  ORPHAN (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.