Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:18:12 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Which are worse. . « previous next »
Poll
Question: Sci-Fi/SyFy Channel original movies or movies from The Asylum?
Sci-Fi/SyFy Channel original movies.
Movies produced by The Asylum.
Both are equally bad.
Other.  (explain)

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which are worse. .  (Read 3623 times)
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« on: August 02, 2009, 12:29:11 PM »

Howdy,

I don't know if anyone is still bothering to tune into syfylys to check out their "original" movies or not but if you're one of those who've given up know that what precipitated this little poll was this week's syfylys rot called DRAGONQUEST.

To find out what set me off read my post: Dragonquest a Dragonquash?

In the meantime feel free to express your own opinions on this question.

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »

Well, personally, I don't think it's fair for me to express an opinion as I don't know what "The Asylum" might be.   Lookingup 

However, the so-called "original" "SYFY" movies are just terrible... I mean BAD but not in any redeeming fashion. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 01:00:54 PM »

Well, personally, I don't think it's fair for me to express an opinion as I don't know what "The Asylum" might be.   Lookingup 

Prepare to tremble in weak kneed fear and quake in bowel flushing horror as you click the following link to discover the dreaded chthonic soul devouring force that is THE ASYLUM.   Wink

Actually like I state in my linked to rant their output is not all bad.  But when it's bad, it's ten day old maggot infested mutant rat corpse rotten!

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 01:35:43 PM »

I'm going off the board and voting for Pendulum Pictures.  I've suffered through many of these in the TOMB OF TERRORS and DECREPIT CRYPT OF NIGHTMARES 50 movie packs.

http://www.pendulumpictures.com/

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 01:57:02 PM »

I vote for the "Ass"ylum. The basic premises and how different they are from the movies they are trying to cash in on are entertaining, but they usually turn out rather boring (Excepting the stuff they just distribute, not produce) overall :P . SciFi has made some "OK" stuff, and occasionally make up for their worse movies with their better TV productions :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »

I went with SyFy originals.  The Asylum can certainly put out some of the worst turds I've ever seen, but SyFy seems to specialize in bad movies that are boring, and I mean completely uninteresting, while the Asylum more often than not makes bad movies that I find quite entertaining.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
3mnkids

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 03:18:50 PM »

I voted for syfy. It was a hard decision since I used to love to sit in front of the tv all weekend and watch the syfy(I hate typing that I prefer scifi damnit)  TongueOut  movies. Here lately though they have been bad but not so bad that they are good. Im very disappointed.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 05:15:44 PM »

I Think Both THE ASYLUM And The Sci-fi Channel Have Done Their Share Of Great Movies  , And Both Have Done More Than Their Share Of Bad Movies

.......A Couple Of Questions Kind Of Off Topic ....Why Did The Sci-fi Channel Change Their Spelling To SYFY

And Why Does The Sci-fi Channel Now Show Wrestling , Infomercials , Home Shopping , And Fitness Programs? Question
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »

metalmonster,

IIRC the syfylys press release right they changed the name because "Sci-Fi" wasn't something that was a trademarkable brand.  (Though I think the way they worded it it was due to brand dilution, whatever the smeg that frak means.)  Bbascically the powers that be needed a logo they could copyright and trademark that no one else could use.

Of corse the fact the person(s) put in charge of the network seem to loath science fiction probably had a lot to do with the name change.  Sort of like how MTV used to play music videos, got some new studio suits with their own idea of what the network should be, and now doesn't anymore.

KP

Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »

Sci-Fi/Sciffy/Syfylys Originals run the gamut from mind-numbing garbage to honestly entertaining (PTERODACTYL and MAN-THING at bad end of the spectrum, FRANKENFISH at the other, MAMMOTH in the middle).

I've yet to see an Asylum film that didn't make me want to see how many rusty nails I can eat. 

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 11:13:51 AM »

I've never knowingly watched either a ScyFy original or an Asylum movie.  Should I be proud, or ashamed?   Question

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
akiratubo

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 12:04:38 PM »

SyFy Original Movies, at worst, make me not want to watch them.  Asylum movies, on average, make me want to die.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Caronte
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 01:07:16 PM »

always asylum!! the only one who could beat it is NU-IMAGE...

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Which are worse. . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.