Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:15:35 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My Foray Into the World of Airsoft « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Foray Into the World of Airsoft  (Read 1963 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: August 05, 2009, 02:26:56 AM »

This is kind of a long post, but there's a lot of info to tell you so you have a good idea of what Airsoft is all about and my experience with it.   

For a long time, my main hobby was playing my Xbox 360.
Sitting on my butt for countless hours not only got boring, it made me gain weight.
I needed a new hobby...one that got me active and outdoors.

My first experience with Airsoft goes back several years when I bought several spring-loaded Airsoft guns.  They were all cheap and two of them broke just a few days after I purchased them.  I never actually played the sport...I was mostly interested in the guns.

For those of you who don't know what Airsoft is, it's a lot like paintball only based more on realism.  People who play Airsoft usually invest alot of money into it by buying a full combat outfit and an AEG. (Automatic Electric Gun)

Instead of paintballs, AEG's shoot 6mm plastic BB's.
Don't let that fool you, though. 
Most modern AEG's are usually made of full metal with wood or plastic parts.  They are almost always 1:1 scale and can shoot hundreds of feet per second and pump out hundreds of rounds per minute.
I own a Galil SAR and it shoots around 370 feet per second and shoots about 700 rounds per minute.
They're no joke!  They hurt when you get shot by them.

Here's a video review of my gun:
Small | Large

Types of Airsoft events and my reasons for playing it

Most Airsoft events consist of the typical game modes you find in first person shooter video games.  Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Squad Elimination, and several other variants are played.
For some, those modes aren't good enough.  They want extreme realism and base their game modes on real-life or pre-scripted made up events.
They involve strict rules and are played out as serious tactical military simulations called "MilSims".
I haven't progressed into the hardcore MilSim territory yet and I doubt I will.
To me, Airsoft is a hobby that's meant to be extremely intense, yet fun and somewhat laid back.

Why did I choose to get into Airsoft?
There are several reasons.

If you're male, chances are that you played Guns or War when you were a kid.
I did.  I had all kinds of toy guns when I was a boy.  Pistols, rifles, fake assault weapons that made a rat-a-tat sound when you pulled the trigger.  You name it, I had it.
Basically, Airsoft is like playing guns, only we're big boys now and we have better equipment and weaponry.  Wink Thumbup

Another thing that got me into it was the realism.
Airsoft guns come with a federally mandated bright orange tip on the end of their barrels.  Once you purchase it, you are free to either remove the tip, or, paint over it.  Some states don't allow that, but mine does and the first thing I did was paint over the orange tip.
My gun is the exact same size and weight of its "real steel" counterpart.
People who play Airsoft also wear authentic military combat gear.  Many websites sell this stuff online, but most people I know go to a local military surplus store and buy actual military garb and gear.

The third reason is that it's healthy for you.
Playing Airsoft is no walk in the park.  It's a strenuous activity that can test the limits of your physical endurance if you're not in shape.

And the final reason I like it is because it is a game of honor and camaraderie.
Working together with your team to secure an objective or eliminate all of the opposing players can be immensely gratifying.   Smile

(me aiming my Galil)

The Event

My buddy Mario recently moved out to Central City, Iowa which is about a 20 minute drive northeast of where I live.  He acquired about 12 acres of property and 90% of it is dense forest.  Perfect for playing Airsoft!
I convinced him to host an Airsoft event and he agreed.
I aggressively got the word out and we got several people to come out and skirmish with us on August 1st and Aug. 2nd.
The cost was $10 per person per day or $25 for the entire weekend.  (camping included)
Click this link to see the area:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashthecat3/sets/72157621666151114/

We busted our butts for a week blazing trails through the forest to make it Airsoft friendly and skirmishable.  When we finished, the results were astounding!  It's a dense forest with clean-cut trails snaking through it that were specifically made for combat.

We set some strict rules down and all persons attending were required to sign an Accident and Liability waiver in order to participate.  All minors were required to have their parents sign a Parent/Guardian waiver.

Even though not as many people showed up as we had originally hoped, it was a success!
Everyone who played had a wonderful time and that's what we were hoping for.

Here are a couple of group pictures we took:

Mario giving me rabbit ears.  I wasn't in on it but everyone else was:   TeddyR

I even shot video of one skirmish and it turned out pretty good!  I do not appear in the video.  Instead, I was running the camera and providing commentary.
Check 'em out: (the rules are explained in the beginning of Part 1)

Sniper Fallback: Part 1
Small | Large

Sniper Fallback: Part 2
Small | Large

(NSFW due to bad language)

What do you think?
Ever played Airsoft or paintball?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:38:21 AM by Ash » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 05:29:36 AM »

I always wanted to try it-but I didn't know any one else who did.
True:WAAAAAY back in 1979-I read an articale in CHIC magazine (kinda a cheap imatation of HUSTLER) about an underground network of people who played a game called BB Gun War. People wore googles and Carhartts and -basically-did what you guys do! I thought it was cool! So I suggested it to my buddies.They kinda laffed at me. (sigh)  Bluesad I think it's cool! Sounds and looks like loads of fun,Ash!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 12:01:26 PM »

Glad to had a good time, everything went off without a hitch, and nobody got hurt!  Looks like a blast!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 03:12:39 AM »

This is what I do on the weekends:
(I'm the one recording & narrating)

We're playing Escalation.  Each team is comprised of two people who run out into the forest.
If you get shot, you wait to be tagged in by an opposing team member and are then "absorbed" into their team.
You cannot be tagged back in by your original teammate.

Eventually, all the players will be on the same team against a much smaller force.

Small | Large

Smile

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:30:32 AM by Ash » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My Foray Into the World of Airsoft « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.