Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:55:18 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet  (Read 5313 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: March 09, 2010, 12:45:41 AM »

I recently caught six episodes of this series based on the adventures of the much beloved Nelson family on one of the Treeline multi-packs (100 TV Episodes) and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Sure everything was 50s style squeaky clean corn syrupy sweet but it was also surprisingly fun and engaging viewing. The first episode focused on Dave Nelson returning to work after his honeymoon and not finding anytime thereafter to see his bride. The second featured Dave trying to get some work done at home as repairs were being done at his office and finding himself constantly distracted by his a little too well-meaning wife. The third episode was focused on the Nelsons neighbors Joe and Clara (played by Lyle Talbot! and Mary Jane Croft) and Clara trying to make a contribution for the local ladies Bazaar - Ashtrays so ugly they eventually prove more useful as shooting target clay pigeons. The fourth was I felt funniest of all as Ozzie decides to spend a day in bed but is constantly being interrupted and disturbed by a whole bunch of outside distractions. The fifth story focused on Rick's fraternity friend Wally discovering a sure-proof study method involving sardines and standing on one's head while the last episode had the Nelsons visiting a Western ghost town presided over by a character good at spinning yarns named Grubstick Morgan.

The stories about Dave were kind of sweet and amusing yet they are very much also a product of their era yet there's something about them that for their time is also surprisingly realistic and believable (although that could just be that the people here remind me of many typical Newfoundlanders I know in terms of their great friendliness). To me, the stories focused on Ozzie were funniest of all as he plays a big part in the one about Clara's contributing to the Bazaar as well as the day in bed one which had him quoting Wordsworth "The World is Too Much With Us"...I found these episodes to be at times laugh out loud funny while the stories about Wally were just kind of goofy and silly. Still it's all innocent, charming fun from a bygone era. I even liked Ricky Nelson singing performances believe it or not Buggedout. Especially when he sings "You're Kind of Loving is my Kind of Loving".
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:51:29 AM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:28:20 PM »

An underrated and often very funny show.  I remember watching the reruns when I was a kid in the late 60s and early 70s.  There was a somewhat risque episode where Ricky (I believe it was Ricky . . . but maybe it was David or Ozzie) has a dream about a beautiful girl who performs a sultry dance for him.  Pretty tame stuff actually, but I thought it was a bit suggestive for the time period.

During the 1970s, there was a spin-off called OZZIE'S GIRLS.  It involved Ozzie and Harriett renting rooms in their house to two college girls.  It didn't last very long.  All I remember about it is one episode where the guest star was David Doyle and he was eating some pot roast that Harriett had made (looked delicious and gave me a craving for pot roast) and another episode where Harriett encouraged Ozzie to read a mystery book . . . Ozzie said he didn't like mysteries, but once he started reading the book he couldn't put it down.  I have no idea why I remember these obscure moments from the show.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:04:26 PM »

I have vague recollections of Ozzie & Harriet. I do remember watching it as a kid.  I must have had a Ricky Nelson crush ... sigh.   I remember he pretty much always sang some song at the end of the show.

Along the same idea, I remember watching Father Knows Best, The Donna Reed Show, and  Leave It to Beaver.  The shows were all in black & white and all the "mothers" were housewives who seemed to do their house cleaning wearing dresses and pearl necklaces. the "dads" wore suits and sweaters and everyone smiled a lot.

Leave It To Beaver is still around in reruns, and actually, the episodes are pretty funny sometimes.  Clean, wholesome, and innocent.  Refreshing! Smile

Hold onto your dreams ....
The Burgomaster

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:26:11 AM »

Leave It To Beaver is still around in reruns, and actually, the episodes are pretty funny sometimes.  Clean, wholesome, and innocent.  Refreshing! Smile

Leave it to Beaver is still one of my all-time favorite shows and definitely my favorite 1950s sitcom.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:38:49 AM »

Leave it to Beaver is still one of my all-time favorite shows and definitely my favorite 1950s sitcom.

I like Eddie Haskell-

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 06:13:30 PM »

After doing a bit more research, I discovered this series (Ozzie & Harriet) is still actually the longest running live-action TV sitcom with 14 seasons from 1952-1966. The episodes named above are David Goes Back to Work (Season 10, Episode 5), Dave's Other Office (Season 14, Episode 24), Women's Club Bazaar (Season 11, Episode 23), A Day in Bed (Season 4, Episode 21), The Nelsons Revisited (Season 14, Episode 6) (actually I'm not 100 % certain that this is one about Wally's study method) and The Ghost Town (Season 14, Episode 13).

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 07:58:44 PM »

...I even liked Ricky Nelson singing performances believe it or not Buggedout....
Hey!  I believe it!  Watch what you're saying!  I'm a huge RICK NELSON fan, and his contribution to Rock n' Roll is too often underrated and overlooked (though the later "My Kind of Lovin'" is not one of his best efforts.  I don't remember the exact title - surely have it on vinyl, but alas, not on CD).  Reruns of that show were not a part of my growing years (new episodes ceased being produced in 1966 - an extremely long run from 1952 and that's not counting their radio years preceding TV and for 2 or 3 years in tandem with TV!!)  However, I went thru a big '50s craze back in the 1980s and devoured everything ELVIS, RICKY NELSON, EVERLY BROTHERS, FATS DOMINO, BO DIDDLEY, LITTLE RICHARD, etc., and TV shows, movies... I actually subscribed to the Disney channel back then in order to catch the reruns of "The Adventures of OZZIE and HARRIET" a show I'd never seen.  Now, I think I've seen most episodes.  Also, they were briefly rerun on a local PBS station in the past year or so and I caught quite a few, but unfortunately, it quickly disappeared.  I've seen all the episodes you mentioned.  

Jase, you have any questions about this program, ask me.  I am not ashamed to admit a kind of expertise on it.   Smile

Leave It To Beaver is still around in reruns, and actually, the episodes are pretty funny sometimes.  Clean, wholesome, and innocent.  Refreshing! Smile
Now "Leave It To Beaver" I do remember from reruns, hated as a kid (I mean hatred) but I love it now.  I have all the episodes a friend burned to DVD for me.  

The last season of "OZZIE and HARRIET" was in color.  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 08:04:14 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:58:55 AM »

Ozzymandias speaks: I believe a god way to increase a teenagers self esteme is to show him the early episodes of Rickky as a small kid and then show the later episodes when he was a teen idol. He was butt ugly as a kid and became hansome in later episodes.

Later shows of the 60's sucked.

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 06:01:01 AM »

He was butt ugly as a kid and became hansome in later episodes.

I speak from experience ~ I wasn't bad looking as a kid, I was gross horrible as an adolescent because of very bad acne but I've gotten a bit better looking as I've gotten older. Not handsome, but serviceable at least.  Twirling

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 08:23:32 AM »

He was butt ugly as a kid and became hansome in later episodes.

I speak from experience ~ I wasn't bad looking as a kid, I was gross horrible as an adolescent because of very bad acne but I've gotten a bit better looking as I've gotten older. Not handsome, but serviceable at least.  Twirling

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »

Watch what you're saying!  I'm a huge RICK NELSON fan, and his contribution to Rock n' Roll is too often underrated and overlooked.  

I once heard that Ricky Nelson was #2 in record sales in the late 1950s behind Elvis Presley.  Not sure if this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is.  He had several big hits that many people seem to have forgotten.  My mother has about 6 or 8 cases of original 45 RPM records from the 50s and at least half a dozen of them are Ricky Nelson.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 02:47:22 PM »

I was stunned when I discovered Ozzie & Harriet ran for 14 seasons and is still the longest running live-action sitcom. It's definitely not the real world that's being portrayed that's for sure, in fact it kind of reminds me of the film Pleasantville where everyone is always pleasant. It's very much an idealized 50s style family household fantasy. Still there's something about shows like this..where people are actually kind and good to one another that is appealing on some level. And there are still some people like the people in this show (pleasant, good-natured, helpful), but I don't think it's anywhere near the majority anymore, where I live.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 10:07:52 PM »

Ozzymandias speaks: I believe a god way to increase a teenagers self esteme is to show him the early episodes of Rickky as a small kid and then show the later episodes when he was a teen idol. He was butt ugly as a kid and became hansome in later episodes.
Later shows of the 60's sucked.
Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
You speak out of your "ozzymandiassLookingup  Use spell check, kiddo.  And RICKY was never "butt ugly" (maybe in yo' dreams) but did have braces.  Now JERRY MATHERS was "butt ugly" particularly as he grew older.   Wink 
Once again I ask you: Do you know PERCY SHELLEY's poem? 
    OZYMANDIAS

I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.[1]

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 09:29:41 PM »

Here's where it started:
Small | Large

Just a few years later:
Small | Large

RICKY's greatest moment; that's JAMES BURTON on lead guitar (1959):  
Small | Large

Small | Large
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:29:47 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.