Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:29:44 PM
714244 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Other Side of Midnight (1977) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Other Side of Midnight (1977)  (Read 2582 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 06, 2009, 09:59:43 AM »

from imdb
Because of a phenomenal success of the book, 20th Century Fox was sure that this was going to be a huge hit at the box office. At the same time there were such low expectations surrounding Star Wars (1977) that most theaters refused to book the film. So the distributor at Fox came up with the idea of a package deal: telling theater chains that if they wanted this movie they had to book Star Wars first. This movie went on to become a box office dud while Star Wars went on to become one of the most successful films of all time.

I thought this was going to be a Lifetime-ish / paper back romance sort of middle aged ladies story, I rented it for some variety then regretted it when it was on it's way.  Even moreso when i noticed it was nearly 2 and a half hours long.  There was a little of that, but it was much moreso a very strong epic story of love, war and betrayal  on two continents that brought to mind Gone with the Wind and Hitcock far more than whatever Meredith Baxter is starring in on the afformentioned womens' network this week.  I haven' seen this good a STORY in ages.  and the best part is the last half hour and not just because it features a young Susan Sarandon in a soaking wet see through nightie.  from a novel by Sidney Sheldon.  for the full effect you should get one of those old hair dryer things from a beauty salon and say "oh you cad" whenever the handsome male lead comes on the screen.  No i'm kidding it's awesome

note: I think it was marketed more heavily to women and it has one of the worst trailers ever.  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 10:09:47 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 03:42:26 PM »

I remember when this was in its original theatrical run.  I didn't see it, but I do remember my mother and father going to see it with their friends from across the street.  There seemed to be quite a few of these so-called "steamy romance" movies in the mid-to-late 1970s, such as THE SAILOR WHO FELL FROM GRACE WITH THE SEA and A STAR IS BORN.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Sister Grace
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 03:49:26 PM »

I've never watched this movie, i would like too however seeing it was one of the best books i ever read. I'll have to check it out...

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Javakoala
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 04:42:57 PM »

I've never watched this movie, i would like too however seeing it was one of the best books i ever read. I'll have to check it out...

This and Necromantik as well...you are a lovely enigma, aren't you?
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 08:49:16 AM »

Sister Grace-  I think you will be "surprised to the upside" as they say on CNBC.
Bargle5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 10:22:31 PM »

I remember watching this on HBO back in the day. There was one scene where John Beck is supposedly finally remembering Marie France-Pisier from the war years. I could never make up my mind whether he was doing a good job of portraying a guy doing a bad job of pretending not to remember his old girlfriend or if he was just acting badly. It being John Beck, I lean towards the latter.

Frogs with their endless croaking, croaking, croaking in the night.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Other Side of Midnight (1977) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.