Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:54:07 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  2012 The Movie and 2012 Hype. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2012 The Movie and 2012 Hype.  (Read 5747 times)
Jaer
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 11:28:24 AM »

I agree that the "word Ending" thing has been done a lot recently, and that the calendar ending is just a calendar ending.

But the end of the calendar also happens to be at the same time as a significant astrological event, which is rather interesting. Many "primative" cultures were able to better track cosmic bodies then "modern" science has been able to until very recently. How and why are still unknown, but they seemed to get a lot more about the working of the universe then we have now. The date corresponds with a planetary alignment with the center of our solar system.

Most of the info I have seen does say the Mayan calendar ended on this day for a reason, but not because the earth would be destroyed.  Several ancient cultures pointed to that day as a new era in human enlightenment.  Supposedly it will issue in a time of spiritual development for us as a species.  This is why the calendar ended; the era in which they were tracking time will be over.

I don't think the world will end and more than likely the day will pass and be gone without any true notice.  At least, however, they are getting original.  Thinking the world will end because the current calender hits a significant change (turn of a century or millenium) is just dumb.  The numbers are completely arbitrary and, in a cosmic sense, mean nothing.  The Mayan calendar, however, is different since the calendar is based on celestial movements.
venomx
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 08:22:07 PM »

Are Violent Video Games Preparing Kids For The Apocalypse?  BounceGiggle Twirling BounceGiggle

Small | Large
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 02:20:32 AM »

Are Violent Video Games Preparing Kids For The Apocalypse?  BounceGiggle Twirling BounceGiggle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTbYUd1jUc4&NR=1&feature=fvwp

BounceGiggle That is great!

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 10:42:24 AM »

I recently took a Mesoamerican history class taught by a professor who'd specialized his career into study of the Mayans. 

The Mayans had a pretty good understanding of astronomy, and were hardly "a bunch of primitives." 

The Mayan Calendar Stone in question marks the end of the current Bak'tun, or set of thirteen K'tuns, each K'tun being a 52 year cycle.  When this Bak'tun ends...it starts over! Look at one of our calendars -- does the world end on December 31st? It's the same principle. 

I always thought it'd be something like that. I mean, they had to stop SOMETIME. I doubt we have calendars printed for 2050, 2100 or so, doesn't mean we think the world is going to end. We have developed the pattern, so any time we need to make a new calendar, we just extend the existing one using that pattern. I guess the Mayans would have done the same if their civilization was around when their calendar gets close to ending.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 09:49:43 PM »

NOOOOOOO!!

I participate in Yahoo! Answers. I give answers to math & science questions mostly. And "will the world end in 2012" literally gets asked every 20 minutes or so. Go on to the "Astronomy" page any time of day and you'll see that 3 or 4 times on the front page. At last count, it has now been asked 40,000+ times. So I'm just a little sick of it.

Then I come here and see... a 2012 discussion. ARRRRRGH!

Other favorite rumors:
Nostradamus predicted it.
Merlin the Magician predicted it.
The Hopis predicted it.
The Book of Revelations predicted it.
The (some fictional ancient book that doesn't actually exist) predicted it.
Scientists say the poles will flip.
Scientists say there will be a killer flare.
All of the planets are going to align (doesn't happen. Ever.) and that will cause something or other (why?)
We'll cross the galactic plane (not for a few million years, sorry) and that will cause something or other (why?)
There's a killer planet that's going to hit us/cause the poles to flip/create giant killer tidal waves (where is it?)

Now with the hype for the 2012 movie coming out, we start getting questions like "I saw this commercial that the world is going to end in 2012 and I'm really scared. What are scientists doing about it?"

Or people saying "I saw this website. Is this for real? Some people say it's for a movie but I dunno. I'm too young to die."
http://www.instituteforhumancontinuity.org/
They're apparently incapable of reading the "Copyright Sony Pictures" or "Explore the 2012 Movie Experience" lines at the bottom.

OK, rant over. I feel better now.

Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 04:52:13 AM »

I refuse to feel any hype for any movie by Roland Emmerich.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 06:35:56 AM »

Well, if the world ends in 2012, Roland Emmerich and co will have to release this movie long before we bite the big one.  Buggedout Buggedout TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  2012 The Movie and 2012 Hype. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.