Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:57:52 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Woods (2006) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Woods (2006)  (Read 3967 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: August 10, 2009, 08:20:27 AM »

Young Heather (Agnes Bruckner) is dropped off at a creepily isolated girls school somewhere in New England, because she apparently can't behave to her prick of  mom's standards.  Her dad (Bruce Campbell) seems to be pretty much ignored.

The school headmaster (Patricia Clarkson) seems at first to be the most normal acting of the faculty, the rest having various ticks and strange habits.

There is the usual cast of characters for this setting. The bully Samantha (Rachel Nichols) who bedevils Heather and the weird Marcy, who befriends her.

The school is creepy enough, but when girls start to go missing with no one apparently looking for them and tales of witches things really get tense.

This movie apparently sat on a shelf for three years before finally getting this DVD release. A bit of trivia, this movie was being made at the same time as M. Night Shamylan's  "The Woods", which caused that movies title to be changed to "The Village".

This movie was directed by Lucky McKee (May) and he does a good job of building tension, but some may find the ending a bit rushed.  From the reviews I read on IMDB, this movies is compared by many reviewers to Suspiria.

The film was made in Quebec and the school location does look very remote.  The acting is good and the CG effects are excellent.

I picked this up at Big Lots for $3 and it was more than worth it.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »

I didn't care too much for that one.  The characters were basic stereotypes and the plot was "mysterious" to the point where it didn't really make any sense.  I just found it uninvolving.  The production values were very high though.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »

I enjoyed it. I like how they played down played Bruce Campbell in the beginning and he totally shined at the end.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Neville

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 03:36:59 PM »

This film had bad buzz, but I found it rather enjoyable. It's a flawed film, alright, and the mystery payoff is not that great, but it has atmosphere in spades and a good casting. I too had a blast watching Bruce Campbell in a serious turn for once, and Rachel Nichols was very funny as a school bully. I still find myself thinking "Firecrotch" whenever I see a redhead, and I chuckle.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
hellbilly
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 04:50:12 PM »

Because of The Woods my friends and me used to say "Fire Crotch" all the time. For some reason we thought was funny as hell. Myself didn't really care much for The Woods. It had its moments but overall it left me unimpressed.
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:01:22 PM »

Good film, I appreciated the "evil dead" nods toward the end. I got a chance to ask Bruce Campbell about it at monsterfest, and he said that Lucky McKee didnt have an ending planned, and had to come up with something on the spot.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 03:30:44 PM »

Good film, I appreciated the "evil dead" nods toward the end. I got a chance to ask Bruce Campbell about it at monsterfest, and he said that Lucky McKee didnt have an ending planned, and had to come up with something on the spot.

That's funny, I saw the Q&A on youtube so I actually heard you ask this question! 

I've been meaning to check out the film, basically just because of Bruce Campbell.  I'll get to it eventually.
Neville

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 03:44:05 PM »

If you are going to watch it just because Bruce is in it, keep in mind his role is pretty small.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 04:05:12 PM »

I Thought The Movie Was Okay But Not The Best

I Also Think The Movie Is Kind Of A Ripoff Of The Movie SUSPIRIA , Because It Is About A Girl Going To A Far Away School That Is Secretly Run By Witches
Neville

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 04:13:46 PM »

Could you edit that to add a spoilers warning? There's people following this thread who still haven't seen the movie. Thanks.

skully13
Dedicated Viewer

"Cujo, where are ya boy?"

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 01:26:23 PM »

This film was decent but personally, I believe the characters excelled in other films such as Nichols in P2 and Campbell in the Evil Dead Trilogy. That's just my opinion though.

"Oh,there will be blood."
vanlutz
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »

Thought this movie was terrible and boring. A waste of all talent involved.

The problem with this movie is it didn't have a stand out talent like Angela Bettis. May would have sucked if she weren't the star. Nothing happens in The Woods, and when something finally does, you're already asleep.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Woods (2006) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.