Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:36:24 PM
713367 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  District 9 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: District 9  (Read 18212 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 14, 2009, 03:39:35 AM »

Just got back from a midnight screening of District 9.

Good stuff, overall.  It's very late and I need to go to bed, so I'll be brief for now.

I liked the overall concept.  Well-directed, well-edited, and excellent effects work.  You'd never guess the film's budget was a scant $30 million.  Great acting from the lead. 

Great, believable world.  Sadly, perhaps too believable.  Lots of small details show a lot of work, skill and intelligence went into this production.  I expect Blomkamp will really be going places after this. 

Also, some good action scenes in the last half.

However, I do have some problems with the film.  First, I really feel we needed a couple more alien characters and the two we do get could have used more development.  Or, even just a greater explanation of the prawns and their actions.  We don't need to know everything, but a little too much was left unexplained. 

Second, I think I would have liked to have seen greater detail in the universe of the film - it builds up all these good ideas in the first third, and then doesn't do enough with them to further this later on.  Third, there are a number of things in the film that I feel weren't that well explained and may be plot holes.  I'll not get too detailed there to avoid spoilers.

Overall, it is a quite good 8/10.  I've heard people saying this is like when The Terminator or Aliens came out..  Sorry, I can't go that far.  Both of those films are a 10/10 from me.
BUREINPARESU
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:51:21 AM »

I plan on seeing this one, I'm quite surprised by some of the reception it's gotten, especially from people who seem to be taking it a bit too seriously and are criticizing it for being a metaphor or whatever.
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 11:58:25 AM »

I plan on seeing this one, I'm quite surprised by some of the reception it's gotten, especially from people who seem to be taking it a bit too seriously and are criticizing it for being a metaphor or whatever.

It's actually a quite accurate metaphor for humanity's treatment of groups segregated by the dominant powers.  In fact, the aliens are treated in almost the exact same way man has historically treated "alien" peoples.  

Mild SPOILERS

A few examples: aliens have to adopt English names, signs enforcing segregation, unfair trading for what is basically an addictive drug, claiming to relocate an unwanted people used as an excuse for cruel actions, control of alien reproduction, and exploitation of aliens for profit.  It is even implied the government sometimes steals away alien children under false pretenses, much like what happened to Australian Aboriginals until very recently and American Indians.  

end SPOILERS

In this sense, it isn't even really a metaphor, simply a realistic portrayal of the flaws and cruelty of mankind.  
3mnkids

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »

It's actually a quite accurate metaphor for humanity's treatment of groups segregated by the dominant powers.  In fact, the aliens are treated in almost the exact same way man has historically treated "alien" peoples.  

Mild SPOILERS

A few examples: aliens have to adopt English names, signs enforcing segregation, unfair trading for what is basically an addictive drug, claiming to relocate an unwanted people used as an excuse for cruel actions, control of alien reproduction, and exploitation of aliens for profit.  It is even implied the government sometimes steals away alien children under false pretenses, much like what happened to Australian Aboriginals until very recently and American Indians.  

end SPOILERS

In this sense, it isn't even really a metaphor, simply a realistic portrayal of the flaws and cruelty of mankind.  

Thumbup   exactly. 

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 05:24:21 PM »

Finally a science fiction movie with a story.  Granted to some it might seem preachy (although it never really is), it's a pretty amazing movie considering the budget .

Hard to describe without spoiling  the film, but I really liked it and I think word of mouth will bring it a lot of business.

I'd definitely say that the director Neill Blomkamp and  the lead actor Sharlto Copley both have promising careers ahead of them.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:20:47 PM »

I just got back from seeing it also. Great movie, could have used a little more gunplay, but that's largely because they are SOOOO F-ing cool. Bonus: Saw a preview for "Zombieland" also, I'm super pumped for that one.

Personally I liked the lack of explanation in regards to the aliens, I hate it when a movie explains things that aren't apparent to the characters in the film, makes it more obvious it's a story.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 11:58:44 PM »

***1/2 out of ****.   A great and original movie. The less you know going into seeing it the better.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 12:16:51 AM »

I just got back from seeing it also. Great movie, could have used a little more gunplay, but that's largely because they are SOOOO F-ing cool. Bonus: Saw a preview for "Zombieland" also, I'm super pumped for that one.

Personally I liked the lack of explanation in regards to the aliens, I hate it when a movie explains things that aren't apparent to the characters in the film, makes it more obvious it's a story.

Thinking about it, there aren't any huge gaps that really bothered me.  Mostly just nitpicks and what seem to me to be plotholes. 

Overall, rethinking the movie, my biggest complaint is definitely a lack of prawn characters and character development in general.  The villainous merc is also way too cartoonish for my tastes.  But, overall it was still quite a good film.  I think I'm going to see it again, maybe my opinions will change a bit on repeat viewings. 
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 12:47:32 AM »

Yea, I went with my kid and a friend of his, and we were all like "Oh yea, you KNOW that guy is getting the 'ultra-brutal death scene' treatment by the end of the flick" when that merc first appeared. .

I liked how it kinda pounded through the story with minimal character development, sure seemed to keep the pace up. Coming from someone with an extremely short attention span, it's not surprising I liked that aspect. Attention deficit disorder FTW. . .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 09:53:59 AM »

Saw it last night, and really enjoyed it. It was a nice blend of both the documentary style and classic movie narrative. Sure there are a few things here and there that could have been fleshed out more in the story, but I like vagueness in films; characters living in them wouldn't monologue explanations about things they already knew all the time in real life so it is far more believable. I am also glad someone made an alien movie where it seems the US Government is nowhere in sight. Also the main character was so unlikable yet you managed to feel for what he was going through despite his selfishness/prejudices persisting until nearly the end.

This director is going places, and I hope it is not straight into Hollywood cookie-cutter summer blockbusters. For $30 M. they managed to outdo practically effects wise every $100-200 M. movie out there. 

Also like ghouck I am stoked to see Zombieland, it looks like a lot of fun.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »

Yea, I went with my kid and a friend of his, and we were all like "Oh yea, you KNOW that guy is getting the 'ultra-brutal death scene' treatment by the end of the flick" when that merc first appeared. .

I liked how it kinda pounded through the story with minimal character development, sure seemed to keep the pace up. Coming from someone with an extremely short attention span, it's not surprising I liked that aspect. Attention deficit disorder FTW. . .

Wikus' development was actually OK.  It was a little scanty for a straight drama, but fine for a sci fi/action film.  It was really just Christopher and his kid I wanted more from. 

Oh yeah...  And you don't happen to live in the St. Louis area do you?  Because some younger person to my right said almost word for word what you said about the merc and how he'd be offed.   Buggedout
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:48:37 AM »

Saw it tonight, was not all that familiar with the story going in and was totally blown away by it. The social commentary is well done, its worth noting that the director based the film on his own experiences with apartheid as a child. I didnt mind the plot holes much, although the open ended conclusion leaves me hoping for a sequel. According to imdb, there was plenty of backstory written that was not directly presented in the film, so theres a good chance of a continuation in some form.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 10:15:29 AM »

Oh yeah...  And you don't happen to live in the St. Louis area do you?  Because some younger person to my right said almost word for word what you said about the merc and how he'd be offed.   Buggedout

So YOU'RE the one to my left with the poor hygiene and uncontrollable flatulence. You just don't get the hint do you? I thought you'd realize I wasn't interested the first time I slapped your hand, but you just kept on trying to go up my shirt, didn't you.

No, I live in Alaska. . .

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »

When I originally saw the trailers for this, I had no interest in seeing it.  I've seen the trailers several times and it still doesn't look like my cup of tea.  However, I've read some good things about this movie, so maybe I'll see it.  Although, comments I've read about the "shaky cam" work still bother me.  A little shaky cam is okay . . . but too much is . . . well . . . TOO MUCH!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 02:29:04 PM »

When I originally saw the trailers for this, I had no interest in seeing it.  I've seen the trailers several times and it still doesn't look like my cup of tea.  However, I've read some good things about this movie, so maybe I'll see it.  Although, comments I've read about the "shaky cam" work still bother me.  A little shaky cam is okay . . . but too much is . . . well . . . TOO MUCH!

There's not that much, honestly.  There's definitely some, but even when it is present it is way less shaky than Cloverfield, for example.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  District 9 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.