Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:08:24 AM
713391 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  District 9 « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: District 9  (Read 18229 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »

My wife and I really enjoyed this one.  It is a pretty original piece of Sci-Fi and the effects are really awesome.  Definitely worth the rental fee.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
hellbilly
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2009, 12:10:26 AM »

Watched this last night and enjoyed it as well. Very good movie.
Javakoala
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 07:34:01 PM »

Most impressive. The whole thing had my tense and knotted up throughout the whole thing, once things got started, which was about 10 minutes in. Utterly impressive on every level.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 11:59:09 PM »

really pretty damn good Thumbup

yeah no.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2009, 02:19:53 AM »

I just watched this movie and loved it.

The first thing I thought of was how this movie should win the Philip K. Dick award for making the protagonist such an irredeemable bastard.

Second, since this is a South African film, I want to hear what our resident expert Trevor thinks. Granted, the movie posits an alternate reality where aliens drop down on Johannesburg in 1982. Filmed in New Zealand, but with many South African leads.

I can tell you one thing I liked about this movie, is that the filmmakers explicitly stated that they did not want to make a political movie. Of course it has politics, but it's more of "what would happen if it happened here" than any sort of political message.

The movie was never afraid to go for the goofy and irredeemably gory special effects.

I thought it was great, and very compelling.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2009, 12:43:31 PM »

Filmed in New Zealand, but with many South African leads.

The film was shot on location in Chiawelo, Soweto during a time of violent unrest in Alexandra, Gauteng and other South African townships involving clashes between native South Africans and Africans born in other countries.[18] The location that portrays District 9 in itself was in fact a real impoverished neighbourhood from which people were being forcibly relocated to government-subsidised housing.

This is a quote from Wikipedia,  the only New Zealand connection is that Peter Jackson was the producer and WETA workshop did the digital effects.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Torgo

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2009, 11:03:02 PM »

Watched District 9 again tonight on DVD. The movie holds up extremely well on repeat viewings. I think it deserves a best picture nomination.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
BTM

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 08:20:46 AM »

My best friend worked on Zombieland painting around 1200 clay pots and various set props over a long weekend a few months back while it was shooting here. Her handiwork can be seen decorating the cigar store indian/outpost in the trailer. 

Cheers

Whoa, you know someone who worked on some props for the film Zombieland?  That is AWESOME. 

Also, pity about WCS, it seems like it could be a cool film...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Vane
Dedicated Viewer

narnia is like compton

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 01:06:09 PM »

1. Saw it in the theatre on the midnight release.
2. Saw it again the next week.
3. Purchased the 2-disc on its release day as the store opened. ( i also reserved it. )
 What im trying to say here is that i loved that movie. ALOT.
the preachy-ness was... tacky.
 but true.

i am the walrus
nilbog
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2010, 05:19:14 PM »

Watched District 9 again tonight on DVD. The movie holds up extremely well on repeat viewings. I think it deserves a best picture nomination.

Looks like you got your wish!

craptasticmovies.com

"Nilbog! It's Goblin Spelt Backwards!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 02:02:25 AM »

Second, since this is a South African film, I want to hear what our resident expert Trevor thinks.

I was told by a few people that this is an anti-South African film and I don't go for those, so I haven't seen it.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jim H

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »

Second, since this is a South African film, I want to hear what our resident expert Trevor thinks.

I was told by a few people that this is an anti-South African film and I don't go for those, so I haven't seen it.

Well, it does use in large part the position of the aliens as a metaphor for apartheid.  By and large the statement seems to be that people jump at the idea of being in a position of power over others (as everybody seems to look down on the aliens, even those of the black persuasion who might have reason to be sympathetic), and that people don't like poor immigrants. 

Johannesburg is certainly depicted as having a serious crime problem, of course - but, the city does have a crime problem, and the world of District 9 is very different from ours anyway (it's essentially Sci-Fi alternate history, since the aliens have been on Earth for 30 years when the film takes place).

Think the people who'd be most offended by the film would probably be Nigerians.  They're basically monsters in the film.

But, on the flip side, it somewhat dodges the issue much like Avatar did by having the really bad people be either mercenaries hired by an evil corporation, or people in the corp itself.  Thereby, to some degree, absolving any real peoples of true blame for the plight of its characters.

I don't know.  I guess I'd say overall it is a mixed bag for anyone sensitive to negative portrayals of South Africa.  It is negative, but it's more explicitly negative against people in general than South Africa in particular.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 09:40:38 PM »

Coming in really late to this conversation.   I just watched it and enjoyed it.  It took me so long because many people I had talked to about it weighed me down with their opinions.  Stuff about it being deep and sending profound messages.  Well, the "message" was there but I found it more or less to be on the dark comedy side of things.  Matter of fact I think the film was laced with many moments I found to be hilarious.   Perhaps this was intentional or maybe I'm just a sick b@stard (or both) but it worked nicely.  Either way, mankind in general are made to be the dufuses.

Maybe I missed something but why is it the Aliens put up with so much sh*t?  Their weaponry was beyond superior to that of ours.   A few of them in that Iron Man-like suit could easily take over a country within a few days.  

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 06:17:21 AM »

It took me so long because many people I had talked to about it weighed me down with their opinions.  Stuff about it being deep and sending profound messages.

That's another reason that I haven't seen it as yet. I probably will still do so.

Maybe I missed something but why is it the Aliens put up with so much sh*t?  Their weaponry was beyond superior to that of ours.   A few of them in that Iron Man-like suit could easily take over a country within a few days.  

Welllll........these South Africans are strange people...... Wink Wink TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
3mnkids

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2010, 10:19:04 AM »

I think they say something towards the beginning of the movie, when they are interviewing people, that the aliens didn't have any motivation or something like that. They assumed because of illness.. They were sick and near starved when they were found and just like human nature if you constantly do something for someone they wont do for themselves.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  District 9 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.