Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:51:08 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Godzilla - Legendary Pictures Rumored Project « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Godzilla - Legendary Pictures Rumored Project  (Read 13491 times)
Henry88
Dedicated Viewer

« on: August 14, 2009, 10:08:25 AM »

55 years and 28 movies later, the Japanese monster Godzilla is looking to make his return to big screens everywhere. Making his first appearance in 1954 (Gojira) Godzilla is a giant monster that lives in the sea that comes from the ocean to feed on mankind. Bloody Disgusting has learned exclusively that Legendary Pictures is looking to do another major movie with the iconic horror monster (they are in early discussions), although there are NO details at this point other than this should be a reboot. In 1998, TriStar Pictures produced a remake set in New York City, directed by Roland Emmerich and starring Matthew Broderick. In recent interviews for 2012 Emmerich has said that he's not interested in sequels (even though all of his disaster movies are basically the same). More details as they come in.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17061
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:07:13 AM by Henry88 » Logged

venomx
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »

I love Godzilla movies, I have every movie on dvd or vhs - Gojira to Final Wars.

I'm thinking the rumored Godzilla 3D movie in 2013 and this "Rumored Project" might be the same?

BTW - I still wonder if Godzilla vs Gamera will ever happen ...

Thanks for the info Henry88.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:37:05 PM by Venomx » Logged
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:28:30 AM »

God, I hope this goes through.  I have high hopes for Legendary, since they seem to hold high standards. 

And screw Roland Emmerich.  I don't want to see another Disasterzilla. 
Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 02:40:49 AM »

I just hope that Toho will be involved in some way.  It'd be neat to see an international collaboration of some sort, and I'd definitely love to see an IMAX 3D version (there's been a rumor about and IMAX 3D G-film for a long time but it's mostly been in Limbo).

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 02:44:53 AM »

The 3D Imax one wasn't supposed to be done by Toho.  They supposedly licensed it out to Yoshimitsu Banno (director of Godzilla vs. Hedorah) to do an unaffiliated film.  As you said before, though, it seems to have fallen into limbo.  From what I heard about the 3D one, it was supposed to be set in South America, with Godzilla fighting a variation of Hedorah called "Deathla." 

Along with not making a Disasterzilla movie, I'm also hoping that they don't go the direction that TriStar did with Godzilla's look and origin.  He wasn't even recognizable anymore.  I'd rather see a familiar Godzilla than some random mutant iguana running around with the same name. 
Henry88
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:21:04 PM »

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118017027.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

"Godzilla" is coming back -- this time, with Legendary Pictures taking the lead, co-producing and co-financing with Warner Bros. for release in 2012.

Legendary announced Monday it had obtained rights to the iconic monster character from Japan's Toho Co., which has overseen more than 25 "Godzilla" films. Toho will release the pic in Japan.

Legendary said it's planning to announce a director shortly.

In addition to Legendary, producers on the new film will be Dan Lin, Roy Lee and Brian Rogers. Yoshimitsu Banno, Kenji Okuhira and Doug Davison will exec produce.

"Godzilla is one of the world's most powerful pop culture icons, and we at Legendary are thrilled to be able to create a modern epic based on this long-loved Toho franchise," said Thomas Tull, Chairman and CEO of Legendary. "Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop-culturally relevant for as long as it has."

Legendary noted the film will fall under its co-production and co-financing deal with Warner Bros. Legendary's productions with Warners have included "The Dark Knight," "300" and "The Hangover."

Speculation about a new "Godzilla" has been active since last summer. The Bloody Disgusting web site reported in August that the project was in development.

To the fans of Japan's finest cultural export since ninjas, I apologize. If you're someone who goes blurry-eyed with rage at the thought of Roland Emmerich's 1998 CGI-ification of Godzilla, you might want to find something hard to bite down on for this, but there's no point in delaying the inevitable: an American studio is once again bringing the giant monster to our shores.

Details are incredibly light at this point, but it looks like Variety has just confirmed that which Bloody Disgusting first reported back in August of '09: Legendary Pictures has officially obtained the rights to Godzilla. The studio will be co-producing and co-financing a new Godzilla film with Warner Brothers as their partners. Given that we're dealing with a city-destroying, radioactive behemoth, naturally his planned arrival will precede the end of the world. Yep, a new, American Godzilla will be hitting theaters in 2012.

Obviously it's easy to be cynical at this point, but Legendary Pictures have been up to a lot of good lately, enough so that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Without them we wouldn't have Batman Begins, 300, The Dark Knight, Trick 'r Treat, Watchmen or Where the Wild Things Are, so I'm willing to pry myself out of the fetal position for this one. There's even a note in the Variety piece from the CEO of Legendary Pictures, Thomas Tull, explaining that they intend to do the pop-culture icon Toho created over 50 years ago justice.

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/03/29/godzilla-roars-back-legendary-pictures-to-re-americanize-the

Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 04:49:37 PM »

Bette be man-in-suit Godzilla.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 08:53:50 PM »

Well Said Jim H.. Anything but a man in a suit will suck.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 10:59:11 PM »

I'm more worried about the design. Here's hoping they go back and use Stan Winston's design for the American Godzilla film that never was.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:23:11 PM by Jordan » Logged

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
feiyen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 04:02:43 AM »

MAN IN SUIT!!! no Cg disaster. Well if they did use that design it probably would have still been cg tsk tsk just can't beat the guy in the suit its classic.

Me and my partners comics
http://www.eyeshock.com
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 11:29:33 AM »

It will be CGI.  They want to make money, not pander to purists like us.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 12:52:34 PM »

Chances of suitmation are about as slim as Fiona Apple's right leg.  Especially if you've seen some of Legendary's other films like 300 or (trailers for, anyway) Clash of the Titans. 
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 01:07:19 PM »

It will be CGI.  They want to make money, not pander to purists like us.

So sad, yet so painfully true...  Bluesad

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 04:30:06 PM »

An all CGI Godzilla just won't be Godzilla.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 06:59:09 PM »

CGI?  Bleh! Give me the guy in the suit any day!

Hold onto your dreams ....
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Godzilla - Legendary Pictures Rumored Project « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.