Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:16:24 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DEVIL TIMES FIVE (1974) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DEVIL TIMES FIVE (1974)  (Read 1600 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 18, 2009, 08:43:49 PM »

I just bought this Code Red DVD and, sorry folks, this may be a "cult classic" but I wasn't impressed.  For a movie about psychotic killer kids to be effective, the kids need to be scary . . . and need to be good actors.  Nothing of the sort here, I'm afraid.

The story is about a group of people at a ski lodge who are terrorized and killed by five kids who were patients at an insane asylum (one of them is young Leif Garrett before he became a teen idol and eventually a co-host of True TV reality shows).  The first hour or so of the movie plods along at a dull pace . . . it has the look and feel of a 1970s television movie-of-the-week thriller.  In fact, if they had cut out about 3 or 4 minutes of nudity and violence, this could have been a TV movie.

There are a few interesting scenes (including a woman in a bathtub being attacked by piranha fish), but it takes too long to get to these scenes . . . and there aren't enough of them to make this movie worthwhile.

The Code Red DVD uses the DEVIL TIMES FIVE title on the boxcover, but the opening credits of the movie use the alternate HORRIBLE HOUSE ON THE HILL title.  (The DEVIL TIMES FIVE opening title card is available in the special features section of the DVD).

And, yes, that is Sorrell Booke in the theatrical trailer!

Small | Large

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Javakoala
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:56:49 PM »

Personally, I liked this movie.  Okay, it isn't top quality, but it is refreshing to see them paint the kids in such dark colors.  I don't like kids, and this is my evidence that they can be pure evil with a candy coating. In fact, I'll even plug my review here:  Devil Times Five Review

Nice trivia:  Leif Garrett and the little dark-haired girl are brother and sister and the lady who gets chewed by piranha is their mother, in real life.  The extras on the Code Red DVD are worth watching.  You also find out why the film isn't quite what it could have been due to the writers and directors.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:32:33 PM by Javakoala » Logged
hellbilly
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 01:02:16 AM »

Much love for this one. Devil Times Five made my personal top 100 Best Bad Movies ever and shall remain there forever  Smile

I always try to watch it with Bloody Birthday (1981) and The Pit (1981), two more favorite killer kid flicks.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:40:59 AM »

I liked it too.  my review

"4.5 stars alot of the conventions of the horror movie hadn't yet been ironed out by 1974, for better or worse, so you'd have every right to wonder what in the world is going on until about halfway through this. slowly it begins to reveal itself with some disturbing "The Baby" type weirdness : an attractive brunette attempts to seduce a mentally handicapped man, a little boy comments on how well a dress goes with his eyes and appears to be propositioning a middle aged man. All of the suddent it gets rather potent rather quickly. scary kids!"
Skull
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:00:28 AM »

It has several freaking themes within the story... :)

Javakoala
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 02:36:15 PM »

They had to work this theme in due to Leif moving on to another role after principle shooting and had his hair cut rather short for the new role.  He was called back to reshoot some scenes (again, evidence of a monkeyed-up production) and had to wear a wig.  In case anyone noticed the changes, they worked this cross-dressing nonsense in, but Lief made such a pretty little girl.
Skull
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:19:26 AM »

They had to work this theme in due to Leif moving on to another role after principle shooting and had his hair cut rather short for the new role.  He was called back to reshoot some scenes (again, evidence of a monkeyed-up production) and had to wear a wig.  In case anyone noticed the changes, they worked this cross-dressing nonsense in, but Lief made such a pretty little girl.

Hmmmmmm... from what I understood the original version was 40 minutes long and they had to add 48 more minutes to make it a feature film... Also the cross-dressing really makes Leif really creepy... :)

Here is my review:

http://forums.myspace.com/t/3768703.aspx?fuseaction=forums.viewthread
bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 03:08:55 AM »

My favorite part is when the retarded fellow talks to his rabbits"They play silly games,take your pants down....".

My brother likes the little black kid that thinks he's a soldier("Hot damn!I got me a knife.")
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DEVIL TIMES FIVE (1974) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.