Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:01:11 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Tonight, on WOR 9's Fright Night « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tonight, on WOR 9's Fright Night  (Read 7246 times)
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« on: August 21, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »

Fright Night was a late Saturday=early Sunday morning horror show that played on WOR 9 out of Secaucus N.J. It started around 1970 and went on until it ended in 1987.
And, believe it or not, a then unknown named Vince McMahon had a show called "Professional Wrestling" on at 12 midnight before Fright Night aired at 1 in the morning.

Here, my fellow fright fans, is the opening to Fright Night.

Small | Large

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 09:02:53 AM »

that's a cool intro and peeping tom is an awesome movie.  We had Elvira on saturday nights but no actual local horror host.

I was just watching some Ghoulardi stuff on youtube.  that was pretty demented stuff for early 1960's
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 06:45:04 PM »

that's a cool intro and peeping tom is an awesome movie.  We had Elvira on saturday nights but no actual local horror host.

I was just watching some Ghoulardi stuff on youtube.  that was pretty demented stuff for early 1960's

Elvira, well  most of guys remember her hosting "Saturday Night Dead" right after Saturday Night Live around the mid 80's.  And like most guys, we had 2 great reasons to watch her, rather big reasons, that is hehe

Here's another one you might like: This is the opening to WPIX channel 11's Chiller Theatre that played Saturday nights.  This was cool!

Small | Large

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

venomx
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 07:13:34 PM »

1st - Very cool videos Umaril. Thumbup

I think to myself, Why can't TV be like that now? Really? With all the stories and technology we have. Why?

It's like the world don't have enough monster fans or something.

Question - Is there anything like that on scifi channel now? ... any other channels now?

Also I think that "Professional Wrestling at midnight" you speak of is what was on Jordy's TV in Creepshow's segment "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" (Stephen King)
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 10:44:21 PM »

1st - Very cool videos Umaril. Thumbup

I think to myself, Why can't TV be like that now? Really? With all the stories and technology we have. Why?

It's like the world don't have enough monster fans or something.

Question - Is there anything like that on scifi channel now? ... any other channels now?

Also I think that "Professional Wrestling at midnight" you speak of is what was on Jordy's TV in Creepshow's segment "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" (Stephen King)

This will be a bit long, so bear with me, thanks  Cheers

Currently there's nothing like Chiller or Fright Night on Sci-Fi channel, sadly.  And I agree: stations need to start listening to the fans and get some of this classic stuff back on the air!  

As to "Creepshow" I think that Professional Wrestling may have been the show given
the time period.  

As to Chiller: The opening I posted (The Hand) is now the property of Chiller Theatre (the convention) and they want a hefty price for Channel 11 to buy it back so they can show it again., so I doubt we'll see The Hand anytime soon.......However, Chiller's original host, Zacherley, (late 50's and early 60's) came out of retirement to do a Halloween night re-broadcast of "Tarantula" last year that included The Hand.  Word is is that Chiller will be on again this Halloween.

Oh hey, here's a special treat: Before Chiller Theatre's "Hand" opening, here is the original opening of the show on WPIX 11 from 1961.  Enjoy!

Small | Large
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:46:10 PM by Umaril The Unfeathered » Logged

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 09:03:56 AM »

this chiller theatre intor is shown in the pot smoking horror comedy "idle hands" btw
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 07:27:37 PM »

this chiller theatre intor is shown in the pot smoking horror comedy "idle hands" btw

Indeed it is!  The kid sits down to watch TV and it's on every channel he tunes in to.  It's not the entire opening, but apparently someone had the memory of The Hand and put it to good use  Thumbup

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »

Elvira, well  most of guys remember her hosting "Saturday Night Dead" right after Saturday Night Live around the mid 80's.  And like most guys, we had 2 great reasons to watch her, rather big reasons, that is hehe

Here's another one you might like: This is the opening to WPIX channel 11's Chiller Theatre that played Saturday nights.  This was cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asO97gdn2oo

Actually, SATURDAY NIGHT DEAD was hosted by someone called Stella....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Dead

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »

Actually, SATURDAY NIGHT DEAD was hosted by someone called Stella....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Dead

Damn. "Stella!" Back in the day my friend's family had a summer cabin somewhere in Pennsylvania (I can't remember where anymore) and he'd invite me to come for the weekend. He and I would always stay up to watch "Stella" host some godawful movie. I don't remember any of the films but I definitely remember her! 

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 04:15:04 PM »

As one of the original "HEY, GROUP!" group, I'm glad you enjoyed Ghoulardi; I'm hoping his son (who has a production company out in Hollywood) will put some of his SHOCK THEATRE episodes on DVD.

This was his opening music....

Small | Large

And he used this a lot on the show....

Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »

We usta have DOUBLE CREATURE FEATURE outta South Bend,Indiana when I was a kid. I saw BEAST OF MORROCO, Godzilla movie,the old Universal stuff,obsure s**t like MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM and MUTINY IN OUTER SPACE.

On channel 41-(these were uhf channels-hadda hook up a coat hanger to yer tv to get reception.) we had SHOCK THEATER. Not the NY based Shock...a Kalamazoo based Shock-some guy dressed up like a witch. It was cool. I saw the BRAIN THAT WOULDNT DIE,ASTRO ZOMBIES,THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG-lotsa cool movies.

BUT! It all started when I was 7 yeras old-with THIS in upstse New York. Milton NY,to be exact. Right next to Marlboro. !969.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Tonight, on WOR 9's Fright Night « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.