Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:37:55 AM
713399 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "As seen on the Sci-Fi Channel" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "As seen on the Sci-Fi Channel"  (Read 1936 times)
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 24, 2009, 02:00:23 PM »

On my DVD on Hydra which just arrived I noticed a sticker that said... well, see the thread title.

Strangely, I think this is the first time I've seen this. I mean, the Sci-Fi Channel not distributing DVD's, they're involved in the production of very few Sci-Fi Channel movies, as they usually commission them or buy the rights to existing ones (usually from companies that previously made low-budget creature features), and... I guess they'd have to mention their channel somehow.

(Note: Actually, if I understand correctly, according to Andrew's reviews of Dragon /fighter, etc., the production companies still have legal rights... what the heck is the Sci-Fi Channel's connection to these movies then? I'd assume there's some difference between say, Nu Image Sci-Fi channel movies like Flu Bird Horror and other Nu Image movies like Shark Attack 3 that aren't "Sci-Fi Channel movies" but air on the channel.)

So actually, the weird thing is not the sticker but its absence on other Sci-Fi Channel movie DVDs.

Has anyone else bought a Sci-Fi Channel movie DVD without the sticker, and where, if anywhere, was the SciFi Channel mentioned?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:06:10 PM by BakuryuuTyranno » Logged
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 04:11:27 PM »

I would consider any label that reads, "As Seen On The Sci-Fi Channel" as a warning that the movie you are about to watch is bound to suck. I have yet to see a good movie made for that network or by that network that I enjoyed as a good horror or sci-fi film. Seen a lot however that I enjoy watching as bad films however.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »

Considering the usual quality, I wouldn't be surprised!

I thought Hydra was pretty good, actually. The hunters, who were the equivalent of the regular henchmen, were somewhat dangerous, the two main villains had chemistry, people had the sense to shoot a large carnivore in the head, and the monster wasn't bulletproof. And the last two were probably because of that one specific monster, but nevermind.

Or maybe I've just seen so many of these that a competently-made one registers as "good" in my mind. I don't know.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 05:54:40 PM »

I think the SyFy Channel contributes about half the money to make some of those movies.  Sometimes the film makers themselves find the other half of the money from investors or something.  I know productions companies like the Asylum make movies for SyFy, but I guess it's some sort of financial arrangement.  Form what I've read, the film makers check with the network exec's, SyFy says "add more CGI", and that's about it.  It's a sweet deal for the Asylum because they get their movies shown on TV which otherwise would be pretty darned rare for them.

I've got several of their DVD's, it usually mentions the Sci-Fi Channel in the opening credits, like they're the main producer or production company or whatever.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 06:04:12 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:12:23 PM »

There's no Sci-Fi label on my copy of Tin Man.  And they were proud of that one.  Might have been on the plastic rap-can't remember.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 08:05:37 AM »

I don't have the link to it anymore, but I read and article about this a few years back. Those movies typically cost about $3mil and  SyFy gives them $750,000 which gives them the right to tweak the scripts and such.  I think the production company holds the DVD rights and SyFy keeps the broadcast rights.

I see now that Chiller and Sleuth (both owned by NBC as is SyFy) have begun showing these movies too.

Some of them I think they just buy and stick their SyFy original tag on.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "As seen on the Sci-Fi Channel" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.