Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:11:02 AM
714307 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Multi-Part Question « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Multi-Part Question  (Read 3430 times)
frodo
« on: August 17, 2009, 07:31:04 AM »

This is a question that I feel only the bad movies community can answer. Answer as you know them.

1. Who are some more directors like Quentin Tarantino, especially in reflection of Pulp Fiction. I’m looking for someone who uses surreal comic violence, stylized characters, engaging action, and coolness (aesthetic) if possible. Feel free to answer with a movie.
2. Who are some more directors like John Waters, especially in parallel to Desperate Living or Polyester. I’m looking for someone who produces classy over-the-top trash. Feel free to answer with a movie name.
3. Who are some more directors like Harmony Kormine, only in reflection of Gummo. I like startling imagery that is grotesque, obscure, strange, weird, fun, etc.
4. What is a dreamlike movie like visual poetry, especially with music to enhance the imagery.
5. What are some directors that clearly make movies under the influence of Cannabis? For example, I believe that Quentin Tarantino moving to Amsterdam to write Pulp Fiction was partially due to the Cannabis culture. From what I’ve read, stylized violence, cartoonish perception, non-linear movement, fast movement alternating with slow movement, and paired-down emphatic imagery are the result of Cannabis use.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:16:02 AM »

1.  Try KILLING ZOE, directed by Tarantino collaborator Roger Avary.  Or some Robert Rodriquez movies, especially EL MARIACHI.

2.  Just about any of Harry Novak's Box Office International movies available on "Something Weird" DVDs.  Or even some Russ Meyer movies.  Although, no one is as bizarre as Waters.

3.  Hmmmm?

4.  David Lynch's INLAND EMPIRE.

5.  EASY RIDER, NATURAL BORN KILLERS

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 02:57:28 PM »

1.  The Korean Chan-wook Park reminds me more than a bit of Tarantino. 

Small | Large

2. Paul Bartel sometimes reminds me of John Waters.

Small | Large

3. You should check out my website  Wink.  I didn't really like GUMMO, but if you liked him you might (possibly) like another guy I'm personally not particularly fond of, Gregg Araki (NSFW - language):

Small | Large

4. "Dreamlike" + "Visual poetry" + "Atmospheric Music" = STALKER, though be warned it's quite a slow movie and not for everyone (this scene is typical):

Small | Large

5. Um, that's a hard one.  In this day and age, most director's have probably smoked pot, but other than obvious stoner stuff (HALF BAKED, Cheech & Chong, DAZED AND CONFUSED) I can't think of movies that I think of as being "clearly made under the influence of cannabis."  To me, that's a bit like asking for "movies clearly made under the influence of alcohol"---a director could drink and make a movie in any genre. Richard Linklater (SLACKER, DAZED AND CONFUSED, WAKING LIFE) is clearly personally familiar with pot culture, but I don't think his movies exhibit all those traits you listed. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 05:10:45 PM »

I don't have an answer for most of the questions, but I do have an answer for question #2. British film director Ken Russell. The British equivalent of John Waters, or, maybe, John Waters is the American equivalent of Ken Russell, but here are six films that are about equivalent to anything that John Waters has done.

Lair of the White Worm
Salome's Last Dance
Gothic
Lizstomania
Tommy
The Devils

And reviews of "Lair of the White Worm" and "Gothic" can be found at this website.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 06:01:24 PM »

Okay, you ask alot here, mister, but I like your questions.

1. Directors like QT?  Good luck.  I think you are better off researching him and finding out who influences him.  He has volumes to say about film, most of it good.

As for the rest, if you want dreamlike, weird, grotesque imagery, etc.  David Lynch is your man, from Blue Velvet to Mulholland Drive.  If you are ready to nightmarish, check out his first film, Eraserhead.  Amazing.  Also, if you can find it, see anything by Jan Svankmajer.  He is a Czech surrealist filmmaker who does alot of stop-motion animation combined with live-action.  Very surreal, nightmarish stuff. He did a version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland that was very disturbing and grotesque. 

I'm sure I could come up with lots more, but I think that will steer you into some good directions.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 04:15:37 PM »

1. Evil Dead 2
Small | Large

2. Jim Wynosky
Small | Large

3. David Lynch, David Cronenberg, Ken Russel.

4.Peter Pan (Could be alone on this one. haha)
Small | Large

5. ?????

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »

1.  check out the Shaw brothers from Hong Kong, and Sergio Leone.

2.  John Waters is "classy?"

3.  I have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about.

4.  The Devil's Rejects

5.  Speaking of "cartoonish perception,"  have you ever watched old Looney Tunes cartoons while high?  It's freakin' awesome! 

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Multi-Part Question « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.