Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:19:42 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  "St. Angers" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "St. Angers"  (Read 10995 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« on: August 25, 2009, 10:53:25 PM »

When Load came out, it divided Metallica fans.  Many of their old school fans abhorred the lack of metallic material behind it, and felt that they had become more along the lines of "Alternica," what with the album's leanings toward the music of the time. 

I didn't mind load, or even Reload.  They were okay albums, but didn't compare to their original work.  However, Metallica created something that would live forever as a monument to sucktitude: St. Anger.  It was not only bereft of their original skill, but loaded with horrid mixing and nu metal influence that just didn't feel at home with a band like Metallica.  Suffice to say, it was below their caliber. 

Every prolific band has an album like this.  I usually refer to them, as such, as St. Angers.  There probably is another term I don't know of.  Usually, it's late in their career that they do it, often feels "experimental," and is usually preceded by a band member mentioning that they were going to try something "new" or "different."  Quite often, it produces an album that will be forgettable in the long run and often times not even mentioned when talking about a prolific band's (or solo musician's) discography. 

And what are some others I've always thought of as other band's "St. Angers?"

Maybe you know some other worse albums from these bands... Any other St. Angers?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:56:15 AM by Joe the Destroyer » Logged
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 08:16:08 AM »

Motley Crue get Vince Neil back, then try to be NIN.

Skid Row go alternative after 2 awesome slabs of metal.

Dear lord King, no! Just no!

St. Anger indeed...

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:45:41 AM »

I forgot about Generation Swine!  I used to own that album, tried to listen to it twice, and pawned it.  What a pile of s**t!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 11:56:25 AM »

Though Circus has disagreed in the past  TeddyR

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 02:05:33 PM »

Killing Joke - Outside The Gate

This was supposed to be a Jaz Coleman solo album, but the record company decided to slap on Killing Joke's name to it, unfortunately. The material on this is just of poor, poor quality and lacks everything that made the Joke such a great band. I wouldn't call this a "St. Anger" per se, it's not really considered an "experimental" album, but it really left a black mark on the bands name. Thankfully, the band regrouped and bounced back, putting out consistantly great material since then.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Torgo

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 02:21:23 PM »

VAN HALEN  "III"

A horrible, atrocious album.  Gary Cherone was the singer on this one and it really isn't his fault the album turned out so bad. The music is just horrible.  While I didn't like Sammy Hagar's last album with the band Balance, at least that one had some good songs on it.

III is just a punch to the gut of all VH fans. The cover artwork is appropriate in this case.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 02:24:59 PM »

YES "Drama"

What was left of the progressive rock at at this point hit rock bottom with this horrid release.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 02:04:26 AM »

This was the downfall of the makers of the D-beat genre of punk. This album IS the punk version of St.Anger. They lost the gutairist,Bones, and this was the result. This sound like a third rate Iron Maiden clone. Its that horrible.

Their first two albums were good political street punk and then this monstrous crap came out. Couldn't get past first two songs.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 08:30:42 AM »

everything NAs did for the following decade and then some after Illmatic
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 12:39:03 PM »

Aarrggh!!  Hatred

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 02:35:36 AM »

Although some do argue that Soundtrack to Your Escape is worse than this one.  Personally, I find this the worse of the two.

The closest Pantera will ever come to a "St. Anger."  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.  Probably their least good album.  Even the cover looks pretty lame.

voltron

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 07:54:16 PM »

Paradise Lost - Host

On this album Paradise Lost go for a "Depeche Mode meets metal" sound. Quite a change from their Gothic days.

Paradise Lost - Believe in Nothing

Yet another styylistic change. Here, PL transform into an alternative/ modern rock band. You know what? It's still a pretty cool album.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 01:18:45 AM »

God, another one.  I sold this one today at a yard sale for $2 to my future mother-in-law.  May God have mercy on her soul.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 04:52:10 PM »

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  "St. Angers" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.