Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:37:04 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Best Buy makes a typo, people threaten to sue. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best Buy makes a typo, people threaten to sue.  (Read 4589 times)
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« on: August 13, 2009, 10:46:58 AM »

Apparently Best Buy made a typo on their web site, stating the price of a $1700 television to be $9.99. Many people tried to buy one, then got irate when their purchase was cancelled. Some of the crap people spewed afterwards:

"Is it really worth it to lose a customer?"
My answer: The less sensible ones, yes it is.

"I'll go to my lawyer and see what he has to say about it."
My answer: So they can laugh at you also? If getting this deal is such a big issue to the person, I have trouble believing they have a lawyer in the first place.

"I knew it was a mistake, but when I go to Walgreens and they forget to take a tag off for a sale that was yesterday, they honor that price."
My answer: then go to Walgreens and get your TV there.

This reinforces my belief that a large portion of the human population just plainly SUCKS.

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/smartspending/archive/2009/08/12/customers-irate-about-10-hdtv-ad.aspx
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 02:03:37 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:54:58 AM »

This was an extremely obvious typo, but I will say that some states (Texas is one) do have laws saying that a retailer must honor an advertised price. That may well apply only to prices advertised in the physical store (I would hope it would), but the law does exist. Most circulars say in tiny print that they are not responsible for typographical errors on product descriptions or pricing, so there is that way out if something like this happens. Still, even I might pay $10 for a huge new television, and I'm a royal cheapskate.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »

What I like is the fact that it also shows most people don't read any offers throughly. Best Buy has on their website a disclaimer that reads:
Prices and availability of products and services are subject to change without notice. Errors will be corrected where discovered, and Best Buy reserves the right to revoke any stated offer and to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions including after an order has been submitted and whether or not the order has been confirmed and your credit card charged.
The sad truth is too many people want something for nothing or next to nothing. I've dealt with a lot of people like this when I was working as a rights advocate. Each week I would have at least one case where someone claimed they were discriminated against because someone would not give them something for nothing and swear they had a case. Then they would get mad at me when i would tell them they did not after reviewing it. Often these would be the same type of people who would not give a dying man a glass of water if it would save him.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »

This reinforces by belief that a large portion of the human population just plainly SUCKS.

Is that a typo ?
Do my mean 'my' not "by" ?

I'm now gonna sue ya, ghouck !

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 02:04:33 PM »

This reinforces by belief that a large portion of the human population just plainly SUCKS.

Is that a typo ?

I'm now gonna sue ya, ghouck !

There is no typo in my original post. Misrepresenting what I posted is SLANDER, and YOU will be held liable.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »

Is that a typo ?

Maybe he has a cold.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:33:13 PM »

lol, took me a few reads to get that one. . .

Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 05:04:51 AM »

A few years back maybe even longer ago..... I think it was Argos who made a price error and under consumer law had to see to those who ordered at the dirt cheap price. Think it was a TV worth £50 being sold for under £10.

It could have been 6-8 years back.... How time flys.

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »

If it is too good to be true, then it is!  Don't understand why people don't use that logic.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
BTM

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 11:28:47 PM »

If it is too good to be true, then it is!  Don't understand why people don't use that logic.

Because a lot of people are greedy, conniving idiots.

That reminds of various other typos I've read about in the past where some company or another would have a lottery of sorts where if anyone got such and such a number from wherever (under a cap, on a scratch off ticket, etc), but they (or the paper) printed the WRONG number, and then HORDES of people would show up DEMANDING their prize (usually money or whatever.) 

One time they had a big cash prize (think like $100,000 or so) but the wrong numbers got printed, so it turns out HUNDREDS of people had won this thing instead of just a few, and the news media showed this HUGE like of people waiting outside the company headquarters, and they're all angry and indignant.  One lady was like, "I ain't leaving till I get my money!  If I can't get a 100,000, I should at LEAST get something! Maybe 50 thou..."

And the reporter, maybe being ironic, asked, "Well, what if they just offered twenty thousand?"

The lady was like, "Yeah, that'd be good!"

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Best Buy makes a typo, people threaten to sue. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.