Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:49:38 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  John Cazale « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Cazale  (Read 2789 times)
vanlutz
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 28, 2009, 12:18:55 AM »

I found this pretty interesting.

John Cazale played in The Godfather, The Deer Hunter and was Pacino's bankrobbing partner in Dog Day Afternoon. He was also engaged to marry Meryl Streep when he died in 1978.

Would you ever put those two together?
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:42:30 AM »

I didn't realize they were actually engaged, but I knew she was by his side throughout his illness until he died.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 01:15:20 PM »

I always felt that his career was unfortunately cut short due to his death. Who knows what would of come if he had lived. I think he could of gone on to be one of the modern acting greats like DeNiro and Pacino. Also, I didn't know he was engaged to Meryl Streep.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 05:58:24 AM »

I read somewhere that all the films that John was in (five only) either won or were nominated for a Best Picture Oscar.

The Godfather
The Godfather Part 2
The Conversation
Dog Day Afternoon
The Deer Hunter

I think those are them.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 06:01:49 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 06:19:26 AM »

He was one of many who was taken way before he should have. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 10:45:21 AM »

I loved his role in Dog Day Afternoon. A person just has to sympathize with his character: He wasn't very smart to begin with, which one could conclude was how he ended up in Viet Nam (not being college material, therefore drafted). It seems he was an infantryman (the reference to him having killed before), so he saw alot of action which fried his brain a bit. From there, well, we know how well Veterans were welcomed back. He whole role just reeked of desperation, lack of control, and failure.

I am NOT trying to say anyone drafted or anyone the went to Viet Nam was dumb, not at all. My point was that THIS CHARACTER was not highly intelligent, and because of that would not have been able to avoid the draft had he wanted to. (pointing out the fact that people wit ha lower IQ have less options available in life than those with a higher IQ) Also, being low on the IQ scale ensured he didn't get a medic or mechanic job, but rather one right in the crap, the crap it appears he didn't have the facilities to deal with. He was more a victim of circumstance and not entirely in control.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:52:43 AM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 02:35:57 AM »

Cazale's early death was a pretty terrible blow for film.

Not to sound crass, but I believe it does put him as pretty much the only working actor to ever not be in a bad film. If you look at his short filmography, pretty much every film is considered, if not great, at least a seminal touchstone. Pretty much everybody else, you can easily find a film they've been in where you can safely say, "That wasn't very good." Not the case for Cazale.

Small comfort.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  John Cazale « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.