Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:00:06 PM
714160 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Dealing With Difficult Teachers « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dealing With Difficult Teachers  (Read 6595 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: September 01, 2009, 04:15:49 AM »

So I've started the Fall semester at college and one of my classes is Intro to Accounting.
I didn't want to take Accounting, but I'm planning to open my own business after I receive my degree and there's no way I'm going to attempt to run a business without a basic understanding of accounting, so I took the class.

Accounting is an inherently boring subject.
Not all people think that.  I'm sure there are people out there who seriously get their jollies off on accounting.  More power to them.
But for me, accounting is boring.

The problem with this class I'm taking isn't the subject matter...that I can deal with.
It's the teacher.
She's almost as dull as the subject of accounting itself.
Her lessons are often dry and she doesn't always explain things to the fullest extent possible.
Rather than get us students involved and interactive, she simply talks in a monotone voice and writes accounting equations and methodologies on the large dry erase board.

That's where I come in...

I'm a "hands-on" type of learner.
I actively participate in class and ask a lot of questions.  It isn't enough for me to just sit there taking notes and not saying anything.  I learn by doing and asking questions.
Most of the other students in my class just sit there for the entire 75 minutes and don't ask a single question or even utter a word.
That, to me, is unthinkable.  I paid good money to learn this stuff, and dammit, I'm going to ask questions!
Unfortunately, that seems to get on this particular teacher's nerves.

I've never been good with math and numbers, so when I get into a class like accounting, I ask more questions than usual.
It isn't to annoy the instructor, it's to make sure I get what she's talking about and that I completely understand the material.

We've only had 3 classes and already I've had a problem with her.
Just yesterday she was giving us a lesson and I looked at all of the other students and it was clear that they were just as confused as I was.  When the instructor paused, I asked what was probably my fifth or sixth question within a 15 minute time period. 
She turned, looked at me, gave an angry sigh in front of the entire class, and then turned back to the board without answering it.
That ticked me off something fierce and I almost confronted her about it right then and there, but I didn't.
All of the other students looked over at me with shocked expressions or sly grins on their faces.
The instructor basically embarrassed me and made me look like an ass in front of the whole class.

The scary part is that I have to deal with this woman for the rest of the semester and I've already entertained thoughts of dropping the class.  Like I stated before, it isn't the subject matter, it's the teacher.
The teacher can make or break your experience in a class, and this teacher is breaking it.
I'm not going to drop this class.  I'm going to stick to it.

What advice do you have?
What would you do if you were in my situation?
Would you confront her or stay silent and take it?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:29:31 AM by Ash » Logged
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:12:21 AM »

You have my sympathies, Ash: I've always had hassles with my teachers from starting school in 1972 until leaving it in 1984.

My teachers (with one exception) all treated me like dirt and made it plain to one and all that my IQ was low, that I was withdrawn most of the time and that I was different. I suppose me being abandoned in a hospital as a baby and living through a horrific civil war had f***-all to do with me being withdrawn and introverted? Question

Their conclusions: Trevor will never do anything worthwhile.

The turning point came in 1980 when, in my first year of high school at age 13, I was told that because my IQ was low, I had no place in the school, but they decided to keep me on anyway. What made me do this, I don't know but I told the headmaster that I would prove him wrong not only in academic work but also in sports.

1. I passed all my exams
2. I have a diploma in library & information science
3. I have written a book on the film history of SA
4. I lecture a lot to film students and am a mentor in film to my younger colleagues
5. I intend studying for a BA: Film Production soon
6. Teachers don't know everything.

Just ignore the teacher and do the best that you can.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 06:51:15 AM »

Brings back memories of my days in college.  Most of the general ed professors were weirdos.  I'll never forget my philosophy prof', he'd speak a sentence, then write in on the board.  Speak another sentence, then write that on the board.  It was the most boring experience imagineable.  The weird part was, he was a rather young and obviously intelligent guy, the last person you would expect to conduct such a dull class.  Then there was my political science prof', he'd stand in front of the class and speak so softly, and so slooow...ly, it was utterly impossible to pay attention to him.  I could hear the professor in the next classroom much better.

In most of the upper level classes, I looked at it this way:  You read what was in the book and did the homework.  That's where you learned everything.  In class, the professors would give lectures that would have probably been very impressive for any visiting scholars.  Unfortunately the lectures were way over the heads of all us students, so we sat quietly and obediently and listened in total mind-numbed confusion.  Of course, you had to attend the lectures because of the occasional tidbit that "will be on the exam". 

So my advice?  Study the book, make sure you understand everything thoroughly, and do the homework.  The lectures, I dunno.  In some classes you learn a lot from them, in others, very little.  Personally I just went with the flow.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:35:03 AM »

I've got some experience here from the teaching side. One thing I've noticed is that returning students (i.e., you) have a vastly different attitude toward their classes than most kids straight out of high school. Your "I paid good money for this class and want to learn everything I can" attitude is NOT typical in the younger students. That would help to explain some of their lack of participation. As for the teacher's reaction, there is no good excuse: She acted inappropriately. My advice would be to talk to her, not confrontationally, but just explain to her that math is not your strongest subject and that you are not trying to be a nuisance; you just want to understand everything. Maybe even ask her about getting some extra help, either from her or a tutor. Don't suck up to her, but use a bit of your charm: flatter her a little, ask for help or at least helpful advice, and see how she responds. Most teachers will help a student that genuinely wants help. If she isn't willing to help, then she's a schmuck. It could just be that she is used to students like the others in the class, those that just sit there and fumble through, so she may not be good at dealing with the more eager students. You are a very outgoing person, and some teachers get so involved in presenting the same lecture for the 100th time that they don't like interruptions. It's not good teaching, but it happens. Anyway, confrontation isn't usually the way to deal with teachers; asking for help or advice usually works better.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:39:29 AM »

I recall one semester having some personal issues which prevented me from doing well in college.  However, to boot I had a really, really, really awful Biology teacher.  I'm not sure where she got her teaching credentials but I swear she was trained with 3rd graders.  For one of our labs, she literally had us make a cell using Cheerios, yarn and other items.  I bet she wondered why I was looking at other people's paperwork in class.  I failed the class only to retake it with a different professor thus obtaining an "A".  

We had a retro hippy teacher for one of my communication classes.  The guy was so obnoxiously spiritual and well mannered.  He taught classes like Communication History and Communication Ethics, both of which have NO use in the world of Communications.  I used to leave his class for a half hour, eat breakfast at the cafeteria and head back to class.  I was in my late college days back then and really didn't care.  

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:40:38 AM »

The instructor basically embarrassed me and made me look like an ass in front of the whole class.
No she didn't: she made herself look like an ass.  You did just fine.
I agree: this is often the best one can do.
So my advice?  Study the book, make sure you understand everything thoroughly, and do the homework.  The lectures, I dunno.  In some classes you learn a lot from them, in others, very little.
Yup.  That text is your lifeline.  Know it well.  Read ahead so you can be prepared to address the toughest bits - either *hoping* to catch enlightenment on them in the lectures or at least having well-posed questions at hand.

Find outside help if you can: is there a tutorial or teaching assisstant?  Use them.
Continue to ask questions, but it might be best to try to make it as non-confrontational as you can, and choose your questions carefully.   This may get easier as you become more conversant with the subject (one hopes!)  
As you said: you are paying good money for this, so you are entitled to full value!

Listen to Derf's advice: it is all good! 

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 09:04:12 AM »

We had a retro hippy teacher for one of my communication classes.  

Peace man, now that's a teacher that I could like.  Thumbup TeddyR

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 10:21:55 AM »

What advice do you have?

First, gather the following supplies:

Chloroform
Two rolls of duct tape
1 tarp, at least 10' x 10'
1 ski mask
2 plastic spray bottles, 16 oz or so
1 gallon of bleach or ammonia
2 pair latex gloves
1 large container of Vaseline
1 stolen or rented car, any size as long as it has a large trunk, the less conspicuous, the better
1 set of stolen or otherwise untraceable license plates
10 gallons of gasoline
1 box of wooden matches
1 wind-up alarm clock

We'll talk about step 2 later. . .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
3mnkids

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »

looks like you have gotten some great advice. I would definitely talk to her about the attitude. I hope it works out and you are able to keep going to the class.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Javakoala
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 12:46:16 PM »

What advice do you have?

Chloroform
Two rolls of duct tape
1 ski mask
2 pair latex gloves
1 stolen or rented car, any size as long as it has a large trunk, the less conspicuous, the better
10 gallons of gasoline
1 box of wooden matches
1 wind-up alarm clock

You forgot the 25-foot length of nylon rope.  Slip ups like that can get you kicked out of the Dark Brotherhood.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 03:44:13 PM »

Accounting is an inherently boring subject.
Not all people think that.  I'm sure there are people out there who seriously get their jollies off on accounting.  More power to them.

I'm a CPA and I've been in the accounting field since 1991 (mostly as an auditor . . . I've been with a consulting firm for the past 6 years).  Accounting in and of itself is truly boring and I'd say only about 20% of what is on the CPA exam has any practical use in the day-to-day business world.  But having an accounting degree opens a lot of doors . . . you'll never go hungry.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 10:33:42 PM »

I had my first session with my night class at the community college where I teach this evening.  (U.S. History 1301, Colonization thru the Civil War).  I hope I wasn't boring - I love my subject, have a decent speaking voice, and try to project lots of energy and humor into the class.  I think the kids had a good time.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 11:27:37 PM »

What advice do you have?

Chloroform
Two rolls of duct tape
1 ski mask
2 pair latex gloves
10 gallons of gasoline
1 box of wooden matches
1 wind-up alarm clock

Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 03:33:45 AM »

If you really honestly feel you HAVE to keep asking questions like you describe, and you don't feel like you can deal with repeatedly being humiliated and hated by your teacher, I'd honestly suggest dropping the class or transferring to a different time of the class with a different prof (if that's an option). 

You could try speaking to her about it in class, and if that doesn't help go over her to the department head/dean/whatever (especially if your teacher is being an ass about honest questions)...  But my experience is, if the problem is something intrinsic between the two of you, you can't really fix it.  It'll always be there.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 04:06:41 AM »

10 gallons of gasoline
1 wind-up alarm clock

These three worry me a little, ghouck.  Buggedout

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Dealing With Difficult Teachers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.