Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:39:59 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Seventy Years Ago Today « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Seventy Years Ago Today  (Read 2806 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: September 01, 2009, 07:55:46 AM »

Seventy years ago today, the great genre of World War Two movies had its beginnings.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:05:48 AM »

I was wondering why I was getting so many calls and emails regarding World War 11 footage recently.  Question Now I know ~ thanks, ER.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:09:22 AM »

I was wondering why I was getting so many calls and emails regarding World War 11 footage recently.  Question Now I know ~ thanks, ER.

World War 11? There HAD to be some cool robots involved in that one.  TeddyR

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:38:28 PM »

I asked all my classes today if they knew what happened 70 years ago on this date.  Very few did.

The panzers rolled, and darkness fell . . . for six long years. 

There are times I envy that generation that saved the world from Hitler - but then I remember the cost.

May it never happen again.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 11:16:44 PM »

I asked all my classes today if they knew what happened 70 years ago on this date.  Very few did.

There are times I envy that generation that saved the world from Hitler - but then I remember the cost.

That's right, sweet potata!!  But, a few students did know?  There is hope, yet.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 03:27:10 AM »

I remember my high school history teacher was very impressed when I could name all the major American wars (at the time, Revolution, 1812, Mexican-American, Civil War, Spanish American, Indian Wars, WWI/II, Korea, Vietnam, Cold War, Gulf War).  The only reason I knew this was because I had a good memory and an interest in history...  You sure don't learn that stuff very well in public education.

But man...  70 years.  Pretty incredible.  And World War III still hasn't happened, despite CNN's pronouncements.  I guess that is something.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 06:25:58 AM »

I remember my high school history teacher made WWII into the most boring exercise in date and name memorization possible.  I've read quite a few books about it since - amazing how anyone could make it dull.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 05:32:16 AM »

Well, today's the day....

Small | Large
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 05:34:08 AM by doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 09:48:27 AM »

I asked all my classes today if they knew what happened 70 years ago on this date.  Very few did.

There are times I envy that generation that saved the world from Hitler

and made the world safe for communism!  some trade off

Finally, the idea that the war left the world a better place seems to me unacceptable as a flat, unqualified statement. Yes, the defeat of Hitler’s regime was an excellent outcome—may such utter beastliness never dare to show its face again. But over large parts of the territory where Hitler’s troops had reigned supreme in the early 1940s, Stalin’s troops reigned supreme from 1945 to 1989. It is difficult to count Stalin as anything less than first-rate in the category of monstrous tyrants. Yet, if the war had a clear political winner, it was he. Moreover, he and the evil Soviet regime that carried on after his death wreaked massive human and material destruction over a wide swath. Similarly in the East, the defeat of Imperial Japan counts as a positive accomplishment. But that defeat removed a bulwark against Communism’s expansion and ultimate victory in China, and like the eastern Europeans held under Stalin’s sway, the Chinese were to pay a terrible price—the major political consequence of Japan’s defeat on the mainland of Asia.

robert higgs^
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:00:56 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 02:04:34 PM »

I thought this was going to be about the 70th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz.  One of the theaters in my area is having a special digital screening later this month.  I might go.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »

Well, regardless of how we feel individually or collectively about war, we should realize that it was 'the greatest generation' that allowed for our generation to exist.
People sometimes lose sight of the fact that many gave up their lives so that many
more could live.  It's hard to grasp for some, and understandably, because noone
wants to die, but it also depends on what you die for. 

WW2 was not a multiple choice-you either participated or you got dragged into it and were forced to fight due to circumstances beyond your control.

In no way is this a promotion of war-just a reminder think about the men and women of the past, present, and future, who have and will continue to sacrifice for the freedom of America and\or their respective countries.  America's vets are Her greatest treasure, and our greatest also.  We wouldn't be here without them.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 02:42:39 PM »

WW2 was not a multiple choice-you either participated or you got dragged into it and were forced to fight due to circumstances beyond your control

sorry, but I think alot of that is mythology.  it' s the good vs evil mentality that led to debacles like the iraq war. 

ww2 happened because of the onerous conditions of the treay of versailles.  were it not for that there would never have been the hyperinflation in the weimar republican cand no chance for someone like Hitler to come ot power in the rubble of that economic disaster.  It wasn't like everyone was minding their business and along came hitler.

My grandfather dropped bombs on german cities and drank himself to death, in no small part over the horror of what he did.   thus, you can see why I'm averse to glorification of ww2 but of course give respect to those who died in it
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »

Posted by Lester1\2jr
[sorry, but I think alot of that is mythology.  it' s the good vs evil mentality that led to debacles like the iraq war.

First off, I refuse to address any piggybacking of Iraq-WW2.  Separate issues.

And to those who see the Iraq war as a war for oil, I suppose some of these
same individuals saw nothing wrong with squeezing Germany dry as France controlled their economy and natural resources to the point of creating a state of desperation that literally created Hitler in the post WW1 world.

It didn't matter if they were enforcing peace thru the destruction of civilians and their economy, as long as peace was being forced on them.

But yet all we hear about is Iraq and what we did to them...

I agree with you on the Versailles treaty however. If the French hadn't been so greedy perhaps the situation would have been different.

Oh, and France allowing Germany to annex Czechoslovakia's Sudetenland region in 1938? Opened the door to Poland.  Not Bush's fault, not the Republican's fault, but the fault of Britian, France, and Italy for approving the measure.

Perhaps it's time for Europe to stop screaming victim and using WW2 as an excuse, and start seeing their own part in creating tyrants instead of laying it all on Germany. 

Germany had very legitimate gripes that were agreed upon by America and Britian, but they went about addressing them the wrong way in WW2. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 01:24:54 AM »

WW2 was not a multiple choice-you either participated or you got dragged into it and were forced to fight due to circumstances beyond your control

sorry, but I think alot of that is mythology.  it' s the good vs evil mentality that led to debacles like the iraq war. 

ww2 happened because of the onerous conditions of the treay of versailles.  were it not for that there would never have been the hyperinflation in the weimar republican cand no chance for someone like Hitler to come ot power in the rubble of that economic disaster.  It wasn't like everyone was minding their business and along came hitler.

My grandfather dropped bombs on german cities and drank himself to death, in no small part over the horror of what he did.   thus, you can see why I'm averse to glorification of ww2 but of course give respect to those who died in it

Probably what is most interesting about the Treaty of Versailles is that it didn't totally cripple Germany's economy beyond viability.  If it had, they never would have been able to rise again as quickly as they did.  Essentially, it really did hurt them and make them think they'd been badly screwed over (which, arguably, they had) - but not enough to really stop them.  In other words, it was exactly the worst thing to do. 

With a people as industrious and as effective militarily as Germans, either make them your friends or totally crush them.  Don't do something in-between.  I might note World War II and the aftermath completely crushed Germany, but much more favorable policies afterward (post-USSR raping and murdering everyone, and the other allies starving the country) made it a friend.  And look where we sit with them now.

As a final addendum, I'd like to add Germany eventually began to totally ignore the Treaty of Versailles waaaay before the start of the war - and no one did anything about it.  So, that's a pretty poor excuse on the Nazi's part for invading other countries and helping spark the worst war the world has ever seen.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 08:39:37 AM »

they started ignoring the treaty of versailles after hitler rose to power. I think the point is hitler wouldn't have rose to power without , say, weimar hyperinflation.

the mid 20th century was an insane era of big government when citizenry around the world thought it would be very clever to sign over their rights and most of their paychecks to their governments.  It wasn't clever at all.  FDR was kept in check due to the constitution, though he flouted it in some cases namely the 2 term limit, but all over the world it was like a government bubble that broke and what was left was death and communism.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Seventy Years Ago Today « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.