Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:40:32 AM
713408 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Rodan\War Of The Gargantuas « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rodan\War Of The Gargantuas  (Read 4719 times)
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« on: September 03, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »

Yesterday, a special day for me-I got the double disc set of the officially licensed Japanese versions of these 2 great movies.  

The Japanese WOTG is far superior: unlike the constant spate of canned AIP music in the American version, you get Ifukube's original tracks, AND the music plays only when necessary or to establish atmosphere in a scene.

There is one scene between the creatures that is especially eerie because there's no music.  Some extra scenes and some seriously remastered spurce material make this one come to new life.  And, fear not-the relationship between Frankenstein and The Gargantuas is clearly explained and even added upon.

I haven't seen the Rodan disc yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing this one a lot.
For $19.95, how can you go wrong?   Cheers

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pilgermann

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 12:01:47 AM »

I've had this set for a while and I just watched Rodan last night.  I watched the Japanese cut and found it very enjoyable.  The ending is actually has a sad poetry to it in my opinion.  I only watched part of the American cut but what I saw was very different.

War of the Gargantuas is good fun, too.  There's a neat documentary on the Rodan disc called Bringing Godzilla Down to Size.  It focuses mainly on Tsuburaya and other folks involved with special effects throughout Toho's film history.  It really gives one more appreciation for their work and passion put into the productions.  There's also a cool bit with 3 of the actors who've had the rare honor of being the the Godzilla suit, including the first guy to ever play him!

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:43:27 PM »

I'm interested in this set mostly for WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS (I'm not quite as interested in RODAN).  Are these widescreen versions?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Burgomaster

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 12:44:54 PM »

By the way, deepdiscount.com has this for $14.79!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pilgermann

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 01:30:30 PM »

I'm interested in this set mostly for WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS (I'm not quite as interested in RODAN).  Are these widescreen versions?

War of the Gargantuas is the original widescreen "Tohoscope" 16x9 enhanced.  Rodan is in its original aspect ration of 1:33:1 or so which is a "full screen" image.

The Burgomaster

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »

War of the Gargantuas is the original widescreen "Tohoscope" 16x9 enhanced.  Rodan is in its original aspect ration of 1:33:1 or so which is a "full screen" image.

Thanks.  I'm buying it!

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 01:30:36 PM »

War of the Gargantuas is good fun, too.  There's a neat documentary on the Rodan disc called Bringing Godzilla Down to Size.  It focuses mainly on Tsuburaya and other folks involved with special effects throughout Toho's film history.  It really gives one more appreciation for their work and passion put into the productions.  There's also a cool bit with 3 of the actors who've had the rare honor of being the the Godzilla suit, including the first guy to ever play him!

Indeed! How could I forget the documentary? Many great actors apperared on that one, including Akira Takarada, who played Dr. Serizawa's rival in the very first movie, "Gojira."

Other actors included Yoshio Tsuchiya (The Human Vapor, 7 Samurai, to name a few)  

There was a fantastic interview with Mr. Inoue (i forgot his first name) who is the man who created the minitaures and the vehicle designs.  AND the original Godzilla himself, Haruo Nakajima (of whom I have had the unprecedented honor of meeting at Chiller Theatre)

Without the combined works of Ishiro Honda, Eiji Tsuburaya and Tomoyuki Tanaka, and the unrivalled music of Akira Ifukube, Toho may not have led the way in the fantasy\science fiction field.  

Unlike CGI today, everything was a miniature, and a labor of love went into every crushed builidng, bomb explosion and pyrotehcnic.  Toho will always be the leader in this field no matter what comes or goes afterward.  

This documentary was a masterpiece,and I thank God that someone got the real firsthand stories from the surviving members of the golden era of the monster film before they passed on.  Thumbup Cheers
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 06:32:03 PM by Umaril The Unfeathered » Logged

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 01:36:41 PM »

By the way, deepdiscount.com has this for $14.79!

Ahhh....foiled again!  Oh well, it's nice to have anyhow  Cheers

Posted by: Pilgermann 

I've had this set for a while and I just watched Rodan last night.  I watched the Japanese cut and found it very enjoyable.  The ending is actually has a sad poetry to it in my opinion.  I only watched part of the American cut but what I saw was very different.

Indeed-there was a very sad ending to it. But to think that these movies were at the forefront of the monster film, and that over 50 years have gone by in the case of some of the films, makes you really admire what they did considering what they had to work with. 

Some people say "oh it's only a monster film" but then again they never think about what goes into them! I wonder if they'd accept miniatures and non-CGI in today's world?

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 11:20:17 PM »

i'd buy it for 5.00 TeddyR i'm real cheap! Thumbup TeddyR Cheers

yeah no.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 09:48:13 PM »

i'd buy it for 5.00 TeddyR i'm real cheap! Thumbup TeddyR Cheers

Hah!   TongueOut

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Torgo

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 07:37:13 AM »

I greatly enjoy both of these films and also picked up the 2 disc set when it came out. Like the Godzilla box set that I also have, I love that they put both the original Japanese cuts and the edited American versions on the discs as a lot of times new footage was filmed by the American distributor and cut into the movie. Rodan has always been one of my top Japanese movie monsters.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »

I just picked this up and can't wait to watch it. I was planning on saving it for the weekend but I might not be able to wait that long.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Rodan\War Of The Gargantuas « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.