Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:01 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Coen Bros. remake True Grit with Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coen Bros. remake True Grit with Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn.  (Read 9070 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: September 11, 2009, 12:25:39 PM »

Don't know how I feel about this, but True Grit is my favorite western. I love the way they talk in that movie, and the fact that John Wayne finally got his well deserved Oscar (actually, his should've gotten one for The Searchers).

Bridges is the only casting they're talking about right now.  I also saw another piece that said they will actually be filming in Arkansas.

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/09/the-dude-in-true-grit-talks.html

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 01:13:15 PM »

I'm not thrilled with the idea. True Grit is a classic film that should be left alone. It's like someone trying to remake Casablanca or Citizen Kane to me.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 03:09:39 PM »

Remaking True Grit is a bad idea.  You can't replace The Duke in that film.  He's too much a part of it.

I'm not thrilled with the idea. True Grit is a classic film that should be left alone. It's like someone trying to remake Casablanca or Citizen Kane to me.

They already did remake Casablance.  It's called Barb Wire.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »

Well, it's already been remade once as a TV movie with Warren Oates as "Rooster." I've seen it, it's not as good as the theatrical film, but it's not a bad movie. Once Oates quits trying to imitate Wayne as "Rooster," and does his own interpretation of the role.

I checked out Jeff Bridges biography, and --at least--he's the right age to play "Rooster." I just wonder whether the film will follow the book like the original theatrical film, or go off on its own like the TV movie.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:11:47 PM »

Well, it's already been remade once as a TV movie with Warren Oates as "Rooster." I've seen it, it's not as good as the theatrical film, but it's not a bad movie. Once Oates quits trying to imitate Wayne as "Rooster," and does his own interpretation of the role.

I checked out Jeff Bridges biography, and --at least--he's the right age to play "Rooster." I just wonder whether the film will follow the book like the original theatrical film, or go off on its own like the TV movie.
Never got to see him do Rooster Cogburn, but WARREN OATES was great

TRUE GRIT is a great film, and it owed a lot to JOHN WAYNE, but I will say, Trekgeezer, that I think JOHN WAYNE's best was in THE SHOOTIST; certainly not his best film, but, his last and I think best performance. 

A remake could be interesting, but who am I kidding?  I won't see it.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 08:13:03 AM »

I don't think True Grit is Wayne's best , that's why I mentioned the The Searchers.  I love the movie in total.  You are correct that the Shootist is one of his best, but I would also say that his parts  in The Searchers and Red River at least match that performance.

According to the Coens they are going to make their movie closer to the  book than the original film.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »

I don't think True Grit is Wayne's best , that's why I mentioned the The Searchers.  I love the movie in total.  You are correct that the Shootist is one of his best, but I would also say that his parts  in The Searchers and Red River at least match that performance.

According to the Coens they are going to make their movie closer to the  book than the original film.

It is a comment like this that makes me wonder whether the Coens have read the book and/or seen the original film.

I have read the book, and the film is one of the most faithful adaptations of a book, I have ever seen.

What is in the book and not in the film, is either minor or would subtract from the film, such as the death of Glen Campbell's character, as he survivies in the book.

And what is in the film and not in the book adds to the film, such as Strother Martin's performance.

Doesn't anybody in Hollywood know know to make a film anymore?
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 01:01:49 PM »

Well..  This is the Coen Bros.  If anyone has a good track record working in Hollywood and writing original stories (as well as doing some very good adaptations), it's them.  Maybe they liked remaking the Ladykillers so much they thought they'd try it again? 

Very strange choice, though.  I'd like to see their reasoning behind it.
79superb
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:01:48 AM »

The actor that should be cast for Rooster is Tom Selleck  with out a doubt.  Jeff bridges is the wrong guy for sure
Starsky
Bad Movie Lover

you play a good game, boy!

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 02:13:34 PM »

Awesome, can't go wrong with the Coen's. Love the idea that Jeff Bridges is involved since The big Lebowski is one of my all time favorites.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Coen Bros. remake True Grit with Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.