Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:45:22 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America' « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America'  (Read 4579 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: September 14, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »

Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America' 
A British film about Charles Darwin has failed to find a US distributor because his theory of evolution is too controversial for American audiences, according to its producer. 

Creation, starring Paul Bettany, details Darwin's "struggle between faith and reason" as he wrote On The Origin of Species. It depicts him as a man who loses faith in God following the death of his beloved 10-year-old daughter, Annie. 

The film was chosen to open the Toronto Film Festival and has its British premiere on Sunday. It has been sold in almost every territory around the world, from Australia to Scandinavia. 

However, US distributors have resolutely passed on a film which will prove hugely divisive in a country where, according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution.

Movieguide.org, an influential site which reviews films from a Christian perspective, described Darwin as the father of eugenics and denounced him as "a racist, a bigot and an 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder". His "half-baked theory" directly influenced Adolf Hitler and led to "atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and genetic engineering", the site stated.

The film has sparked fierce debate on US Christian websites, with a typical comment dismissing evolution as "a silly theory with a serious lack of evidence to support it despite over a century of trying"...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6173399/Charles-Darwin-film-too-controversial-for-religious-America.html

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 09:29:09 PM »

I would be interested in seeing the film.  Darwin was a fascinating character and one of the most influential men of all time, regardless of how one feels about his theories.

Some of my co-religionists do need to lighten up a bit. TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 10:16:05 PM »

It sounds more like they are trying to hype the film than anything else. Sure distributors might claim it's cause the film is too controversial but odds are it's because they don't feel they can make a large enough profit off it. And why I feel it's mostly being said to hype the film is because seldom do many Brit films get a wide theater release in the US. Most run in limited engagements in larger cities like New York or LA. Smaller venues like the small town I live in almost never get any films beyond those released from the major studios here in the US. By claiming it's too contraversial for release in the Us helps build intrest in the film that makes people want to see it on DVD or pay-per-view.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 05:07:25 AM »

Some people just don't like the truth.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:44:25 AM »

What's really funny about this is that Darwin's theories say nothing about the origin of life.  I personally think evolution is as evident as the nose on your face.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:24:01 AM »

I'm inclined to agree with meQal on this one. Sounds like somebody is trying to drum up publicity. The quotes from the article up above do little to dispel the notion.

I'm certainly no fan of evolution deniers, but to say that this film will be "hugely divisive" and is "sparking fierce debates" is to over-inflate its importance. Quoting from "influential site" Movieguide.org is a poor case of cherry-picking an argument to create false controversy.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 10:33:55 AM »

My standard response to ferocious anti-evolutionists: "So where do nipples on men fit into God's Plan?"

That being said, I look forward to seeing this film. 

akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »

It isn't controversial, actually.  There aren't really that many anti-evolutionists, they are a very vocal minority.

This "too controversial" business is probably just to drum up interest in the movie.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »

It isn't controversial, actually.  There aren't really that many anti-evolutionists, they are a very vocal minority.

This "too controversial" business is probably just to drum up interest in the movie.
Could be hype.  Yet, I wonder how many British films of CREATION's caliber fail to find an American distributor?   

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 08:20:43 PM »

Could be hype.  Yet, I wonder how many British films of CREATION's caliber fail to find an American distributor?   

Your asking how many intellectual documentaries about historical figures fail to find an American theatrical distrbutor?  All of them, I suspect.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 11:49:20 PM »

Your asking how many intellectual documentaries about historical figures fail to find an American theatrical distrbutor?  All of them, I suspect.
It's not a documentary, but a drama starring JENNIFER CONNELLY based upon a fictional account of the DARWIN family. 

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America' « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.