Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:52:44 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Ramar of the Jungle (1952) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ramar of the Jungle (1952)  (Read 2975 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: September 15, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »

I have been watching Fu Manchu serials and some of Bela Lugosis stuff and have been carefully satiating my craving for the 1940's, mainly via alpha video's bottomless and therefore somewhat daunting collection of popular stuff from this era.  "Ramar..."  isn't quite as exotic or crazy as either of those but it's really good, despite it's cheapness and it IS cheap.  

The star, Jon Hall, is good as is the comraderie between he and his crew, mainly one white guy and one black guy with a pet monkey "babbette".  This series is historically viewed as racist but it's not maliciously so, just has some now ridiculous depictions of blacks as scaredy cats and jungle people and  subserviant and so forth.  The bottom line for "Ramar" is that whoever made this knew how to bring a story, however trite,  to life  at a fast clip, something not many can seem to do even now.  This is part of a 10 disk set with 4 20 minute episode each and I could see blowing through that no problem.  not all in a row but eventually.

Some episodes are better than others but if you don't like this episode the next one starts soon enough, that kind of thing.  check out "lady of the leopards" on disk one, my towering favorite thus far, about a woman who is possesed by the jungle and wears a leopard bathing suit outfit and becomes a kind of god to a leopard tribe!!

The most ridiculous parts are the stock footage of animals.  they will be going along than someone will say "Doctor look!"  and it will be some rhinos or something and they will roll the footage for a moment then ramar will say "  you're right lets go this other way" .   I liked the anarchistic arrangement between ramar and the natives where they didn't have authority over each other or the people who came to the island.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:00:52 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Ramar of the Jungle (1952) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.