Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:49:04 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  October/Halloween Movie Watching List « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Author Topic: October/Halloween Movie Watching List  (Read 80526 times)
claws
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »

You are a hard man to please, Jack  TeddyR
I guess the 0.5 was for the eye candy  Wink
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »

You are a hard man to please, Jack  TeddyR
I guess the 0.5 was for the eye candy  Wink

It's pretty bad when two girls are always taking their tops off and I still want them to die  BounceGiggle  I dunno, I'm just not into the humorous horror stuff at all.  There have been about 4 movies of that type that I've liked - in the last quarter of a century  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2010, 12:33:54 AM »

Paranormal Activity (2007)

The later the evening, the more effective the movie. And yeah, my name is still listed in the end credits. I never get tired of mentioning that  TeddyR
October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including things that go bump in the night.

The Mist (2007)

People trapped in a supermarket must fight bizarro creatures from beyond hidden in the mist. Unsettling because religious people are actually scarier than the monsters.
October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including wandering mist, bloody rope tug, tentacles, giant bugs, neck swelling, preaching.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2010, 06:50:51 AM »

Banshee!!! (2008) - Some people go on a camping trip, but as it turns out there's a Banshee!!! running around killing people in the woods.  They eventually take refuge in a house with some other would-be Banshee!!! victims.  For a CGI creature, it was a little bit cool looking.  It could also take the appearance of any person it had seen, which made for a pretty good device to add some excitement to the movie.  The characters were a fun bunch, this is definitely a cheese fest - the monster is very sensitive to loud sounds, and one of the characters plays electric guitar - need I say more  BounceGiggle  It wasn't your typical cookie-cutter movie, the creators had their own ideas and didn't copy the usual formula verbatim.  Taken with a few adult beverages, I liked it:  4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »

His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th (2009)

Documentary about the one and only, even though this felt more like an extended 'making-of' promo reel. I did appreciate the interviews with everyone involved with the movies but I honestly didn't care much about the 'internet-celebs' and what they had to say. Still made for an ok watch.
October/Halloween score: 3/5 for including Felissa Rose and bad Tom Savini segments.

Dark House (2009)

A group of young actors are invited to perform in a Funhouse event but the place is actually haunted by the spirit of a nasty ghost. Pretty slick indie horror that looks like a million bucks. I quite enjoyed this one.
October/Halloween score: 3.5/5 for including Diane Salinger, haunted house theme, CGI blood splatter, lesbian drooling, ghost taking over computer, windows xp jokes.

George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead (2009)

Survivors of zombie apocalypse are heading to island inhabited by some crusty leader. I went in with low expectations and came out not hating it. The only thing really bad was the Romero intro on the blu-ray. Survival of the Dead worked for me though and it went down smoother than Diary of the Dead.
October/Halloween score: 4/5 for including humor, CGI splatter, underwater zombies, zombie riding horse, zombie driving car.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2010, 12:45:13 AM »

I didn't see this thread quite early enough.

Today I watched the John Barrymore 1920 version of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.  It was decent - I liked the look of this Hyde, and some of it was nicely shot.  VERY lethargic pace though - I gather there's a 59 minute version, and I expect it'd be much better.  6/10.

I also saw I Spit On Your Grave (the original 1978 version).  I'm not really sure what to say about this one.  Extremely brutal I guess.  Unpleasant.  Often effective.  It's not the completely sloppy POS a lot of people deride it as though.  On the IMDB I ended up giving it a 6/10, but it's a difficult film to apply any rating to.

Also this month I've seen:

I Sell the Dead (7/10)
Friday the 13th (7/10)
Friday the 13th pt 2 (6/10 - I liked it a lot more than the first time I saw it)
Subspecies (4/10, very disappointing after being interested in it for so long)
Monsturd (4/10 - a few good jokes but most of it was just plain dull)
Deranged (7/10)
Tombs of the Blind Dead (5/10)
Carnival of Souls (6/10)
The Changeling (8/10)
Exorcist III (5/10)
Baby Blood (6/10)

So I've seen thirteen horror films this October.  My goal every October from now on is to see at least 31 - I think I can manage it this year.   TeddyR
claws
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2010, 11:33:13 PM »

Carnival of Souls (1962)

Female organ player survives car accident but is haunted by zombified ghosts. Big revealing showdown at abandoned fair. Creepy cult classic always perfect for October viewing.
October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including abandoned carnival, dancing undead, haunting organ music, peeping tom.

The Last Man on Earth (1964)

A deadly virus wipes out the entire population by turning humans into zombified vampire creatures. One scientist appears to be immune but soon enough he finds other survivors. Grim terror with a little cheese and a superb Vincent Price.
October/Halloween score: 3.5/5 for including burning pit for dumping bodies, undead best friend with a grudge, daughter turning blind, super 8 home movies.

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

The dead rise and feast on the living. Classic stuff but I always forget how lethargic the Barbara character is. I really prefer the Night of the Living Dead 1990 Barbara.
October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including Duane Jones taking charge, overall apocalyptic feeling, first nude zombie (I think).
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2010, 07:03:26 AM »

Amok Train (1989) - A group of American college students go to Serbia for some sort of class trip, but as luck would have it, the professor they meet there is actually Satan's right-hand man, and one of the college girls is destined to be ol' Beelzebub's bride.  The group manages to escape from the professor's trap and get on a train, which soon becomes possessed by Satan and takes them for quite a merry little ride.  Okay, when was the last time you saw a train jump its tracks, drive through a lake, take out a couple of people in a fishing boat (decapitating one of them and sending her head flying into the air), then drive out the other side of the lake and get back on its tracks?  This is a pretty cool and weird movie overall.  They manage to create a real feeling of isolation, and being extremely far from home out on the cold yet beautiful Serbian plains.  There's not a lot of dialogue, and the majority of what there is is spoken in Serbian with no subtitles, which further enhances the feeling of bleak loneliness.  And then there's those special effects - a model train (very obviously) doing the most insane things that  it's hard not to laugh.  I guess you have to be in the mood for this thing.  I was and I enjoyed it quite a bit.  4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2010, 02:19:27 PM »

Yesterday I watched the Wings Hauser film Mutant. Yeah.  It was...  OK.  Competently shot and a few entertaining scenes and whatnot...  5/10.

I also watched The Gorgon.  Hammer film with Lee/Cushing.  As usual, Lee has way less screen time than Cushing, but Lee is actually a hero in this one.  Pretty bad effects for the title character, though it isn't seen much.  Starts out quite good, but it really takes way too long to go anywhere - felt like it could have been a half hour shorter.  Well-acted and a good score.  6/10.

Finally, I also saw The Undertaker and His Pals.  After a quite amusing opening scene and some bad puns, the film slows down to much and not a lot happens in too many scenes.  For such a short and simple film (it's just over an hour) it's also surprisingly confusing.  Some more bad puns and a few gore shots (rare for a mid 60s film) combined with a pretty funny and random ending did make it worth a watch, but I don't think I'd watch it again.  5/10.
claws
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2010, 12:04:35 AM »

Evil Dead II (1987)

My first time HD viewing. I didn't expect to be blown away and indeed the quality doesn't seem to differ much from the DVD, except for the climax when the colors explode on screen. The Blu-ray also offers a little more fine detail but pore-freaks will be underwhelmed.
October/Halloween score: 5/5 for being ... Evil Dead II.

Prince of Darkness (1987)

Students spend the weekend in an old church analyzing green swirling goo inside a huge mixer. Crafty thrills from Carpenter that still holds up these days.
October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including apocalyptic feeling, Alice Cooper as a bum, slime puking, transmissions from the future, mirror doorway, ants, bugs, dead dove.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2010, 07:03:45 AM »

The Boogeyman (1980) - A couple of children are mistreated by their drunken mother's boyfriend, so one of the kids kills the boyfriend.  Flash forward 20 years and, in case you missed that stuff that happened about a minute ago, they show you the whole thing again in flashbacks.  Oh for chrissakes, I just saw this!  Anyhow, the kids are grown up, the boy hasn't spoken since that night 20 years ago, and the girl is haunted by nightmares;  you know the drill.  The psychiatrist suggests they go back to the scene of the murder so the girl can overcome her fears, but instead she sees the reflection of the creepy boyfriend in the mirror.  She breaks the mirror, douchebag husband gathers up the pieces and brings it back home with them - he's completely ignorant of the fact that he's in a horror movie.  This is actually a haunted mirror movie, not a boogeyman movie.  Shards of the broken mirror glow red and cause terrible things to happen.  Then people talk about the terrible things.  And talk, and talk.  It's pretty slow paced.  But it is from 1980, so it has a nice low-budget horror atmosphere to it at least.  The main girl is quite likable and carries the movie.  Overall this was moderately entertaining, despite my frequent bouts of yawning.  3/5.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2010, 10:37:26 PM »

10.20. Filmcount: 44

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Aliens take over the world by replacing humans with emotionless duplicates. Classy Sci-Fi that looks great on Blu-ray.
October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including frontal Brooke Adams nudity, priest on a swing, dart-kill, kicking pod.

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Zombies take over the world but four people are hiding out in a shopping mall. Here's still hoping for the Ultimate Blu-ray.
October/Halloween score: 5/5 for being ... Dawn of the Dead.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:33:49 PM by claws » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2010, 06:33:21 AM »

Prom Night 3 (1990) - Mary Lou Maloney was the prom queen back in 1957, but she died in some freak accident.  I think this was covered in Prom Night 2, but I haven't seen that movie in about 15 years.  In the present time, we meet out main character, Alex.  He's a very average high school student, but dreams of better things.  He meets the ghost of Mary Lou, and next thing you know, he's become the star player on the football team.  And he's getting the best grades in the entire school.  And he's doing a hot ghost babe.  The only problem is that Mary Lou has a habit of killing anyone who stands in Alex's way, so he has to spend his nights burying dead bodies under the football field.  Alex is pretty much okay with this - all relationships have their problems, right?  But Mary Lou eventually gets too possessive, killing his best friend, and then she's jealous of Alex's human girlfriend.  We're headed for a climax of truly B movie proportions.  This was a dark comedy all the way, and a pretty clever one at that.  I actually chuckled - twice!  It's pretty rare that I can tolerate a horror comedy, but this one managed to keep my interest by maintaining at least a semblance of seriousness.  Sort of.  The characters were quite good;  well developed and likable.  The plot moved along at a good pace.  Oh and the DVD - it's the edited for TV version  Bluesad  Who knows if this ever had nudity in it.  I certainly don't.  The swear words were replaced by really stupid words.  Still, I got a moderate amount of entertainment out of it.  3.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2010, 09:33:25 PM »

10.21. Filmcount: 46

Love Object (2003)

Young man falls in love with sex doll made up to look like his new co-worker Lisa. The doll becomes jealous when he goes on a date with Lisa. Fun little f**ked up movie about sick obsessions.
October/Halloween score: 4.5/5 for including Udo Kier, sleazy website, tense daymares, s&m action.

High Tension (2003)

Two friends on a weekend trip to study encounter brutal killer. The blood splatter looks nice in HD. Overall decent Blu-ray presentation.
October/Halloween score: 5/5 for including sick fantasies and sprays of blood.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2010, 09:58:11 PM »

Prom Night IV: Deliver Us from Evil (1992) - Back in '57, an insane priest kills some kids at the school prom because he disapproves of their immoral behavior.  The church keeps him locked up and sedated for 30 years, but the priest who's in charge of guarding him is getting old, so they appoint a new guy to take over the position.  Of course this guy is too smart to keep him sedated, he wants to talk to him.  Yup, he lasts for about 24 hours.  Meanwhile, two young couples go to a mountain cabin for a weekend of fun.  It's not long before psycho priest shows up, and he disapproves of their immoral behavior as well.  This is one of the best old-style slashers I've seen in several years.  It focuses on suspense, the characters are very likable and fun, and although it isn't exactly the most fast paced movie out there, I really enjoyed it.  4.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  October/Halloween Movie Watching List « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.