Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:50:42 PM
714314 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  DVD listing wiped out! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DVD listing wiped out!  (Read 3072 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 16, 2009, 03:45:11 PM »

A couple weeks ago I posted some comments about my computer being fried.  One of my biggest losses was an Excel spreadsheet where I had more than 2,700 of my 3,500 or so DVD titles listed alphabetically (I still needed to input the titles from several Mill Creek 50 and 100 Movie Packs, and a bunch of stand-alone DVDs).  This spreadsheet is now gone, baby, gone.  I bought a new computer and I'll be building the spreadsheet again, slowly but surely, over the coming months.  SIGH.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 03:48:06 PM »

I had the same thing happen with a list of all the CD and vinyl records I own. Bummer  Bluesad

BTM

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:37:49 PM »

A couple weeks ago I posted some comments about my computer being fried.  One of my biggest losses was an Excel spreadsheet where I had more than 2,700 of my 3,500 or so DVD titles listed alphabetically (I still needed to input the titles from several Mill Creek 50 and 100 Movie Packs, and a bunch of stand-alone DVDs).  This spreadsheet is now gone, baby, gone.  I bought a new computer and I'll be building the spreadsheet again, slowly but surely, over the coming months.  SIGH.

Wow, that sucks.  :(

I have to ask though, how in the world are you able to have 2,700 DVDs?  I mean, that sounds like it would be a lot of money, even if you've been collecting since the DVD player was introduced...

Just curious.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:11:09 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:57:13 PM »

3,500 - wow  Buggedout  I don't even have that many pictures of sexy babes in spandex on my computer.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 07:47:21 PM »

Bummer man, I hate losing data. That's why I do weekly backups. I have a folder on my desktop that gets backed up and I just throw a copy of any project I'm working on in it. Even if you just add a second drive and back up to that, you're in much better shape. Tons of free software to backup with also.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 08:16:21 PM »

I use DVD Aficianado to catalogue all my movies.
No need to worry about losing your data if your hard drive goes out again.  Just create a free account and you can start cataloging all your titles.
The site is devoted to pretty much anything DVD related. (right up your alley  Wink)

http://www.dvdaf.com/

By the way...
If you've used the old DVDAF website and had your collection archived there, you'll have to migrate it over to the new version of the site. (version 2)
Click on Site Map and then scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 08:18:24 PM by Ash » Logged
The Burgomaster

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 06:02:44 AM »

I have to ask though, how in the world are you able to have 2,700 DVDs?  I mean, that sounds like it would be a lot of money, even if you've been collecting since the DVD player was introduced...

Just curious.

Actually, I have about 3,500 titles (but some are not stand-alone DVDs . . . they are included in 50 movie packs and other multi-movie boxed sets).  Anyway, to answer your question, I just spend a lot of money on DVDs (although, I've slowed down recently).  There have been times when I'd walk out of Best Buy with 10 or 15 DVDs or place an order from deepdiscount.com for 20 or more movies at a time.  It's an obsession, I guess.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 06:07:51 AM »

Same here. I buy about 10 Dvds a month, but they're only about $2 each from second hand sellers.

I'm 22 now, so I figure I'll have monster collections in decades to come, if I carry on at the same rate.  Smile

The Burgomaster

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 06:16:48 AM »

Same here. I buy about 10 Dvds a month, but they're only about $2 each from second hand sellers.

I'm 22 now, so I figure I'll have monster collections in decades to come, if I carry on at the same rate.  Smile

I'm 45 and I've been buying DVDs for 11 years (??) or so.  So that's about 300 - 350 titles per year or nearly 30 per month, on average (although, for the past year or so, I bet the average is closer to 5 or 10 per month).  This isn't difficult if you have some 50 movie packs in the mix.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 11:03:30 AM »

No need to worry about losing your data if your hard drive goes out again.  Just create a free account and you can start cataloging all your titles.
The site is devoted to pretty much anything DVD related. (right up your alley  Wink)

Thanks for suggesting that site Ash. I signed up, an just spent the last hour adding my collection to it. Apparently I only have 32 horror films and 29 comedy films! I keep saying I don't have enough comedy films... (where did all those come from?)

The site is quite annoying though and it won't upload or picture or navigate around properly.  Lookingup

Raffine

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 12:00:36 PM »

I'm 22 now, so I figure I'll have monster collections in decades to come, if I carry on at the same rate.  Smile

I'm 45 and I've been buying DVDs for 11 years (??) or so.  So that's about 300 - 350 titles per year or nearly 30 per month, on average (although, for the past year or so, I bet the average is closer to 5 or 10 per month).  This isn't difficult if you have some 50 movie packs in the mix.

Sorry to hear your list got wiped out.

Yep, those 50 movie packs really increase your movie ownership totals!

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 03:32:16 PM »

I can't use this site.  I'm not an afficianado.  I'm just a jackass.  Bluesad

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  DVD listing wiped out! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.