Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:00:52 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Would you rent movies on your computer? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Would you rent movies to play on your computer?
Yes - 7 (35%)
No - 9 (45%)
Undecided - 4 (20%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Would you rent movies on your computer?  (Read 5998 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: September 23, 2009, 07:47:41 PM »

I notice that Amazon is offering the ability to rent movies to play on your computer.  Prices seem to be about $2.99/movie, and you can typically view them for a week before they expire.

I wonder if this is a viable movie delivery vehicle.  Would you watch a movie this way?  Why or why not?

I'm voting no, because I don't like watching a movie on the computer, and because it's cheaper to get the same movies from Netflix to watch on my TV.  I'm curious what others think.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
SPazzo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My kinda toy...

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 08:42:25 PM »

I would if it were cheaper.  I usually watch movies on my computer.  I have a 20 inch flat screen monitor so it's not that bad.  No one else in my family has the same taste in movies as me, so it's a little easier.

The only thing is that I'm not interested in having a credit card, and I'm too young for a Paypal account, so it's a little hard to rent off Amazon.  I think iTunes Store has 99 cent "Movie of the week" rentals.  Usually B-grade 70s-80s flicks. TeddyR
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »

I'm not interested.  I just don't like watching movies on my computer. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 08:50:52 PM »

While I might not be against it, half the fun of going to a store to rent/buy movies is just walking up and down the isles looking at the cover art and sometimes dicovering a titile you never heard of.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Rat-Bat-Spider
Dedicated Viewer

ICE to meet you!

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 08:56:05 PM »

Not at that price! Jeez! 2.99 a picture? Who do they think they are? Blockbuster?!?! I'll stick to Netflix; it's cheaper, it has a wonderful selection, and they carry the NC-17 titles that Blockbuster won't grow the stones to rent. And I also agree that I don't really like watching movies on my computer, but my monitor also sucks. I feel if they lowered the price, had a selection comparable to Netflix, AND somebody bought me a large HD-capable monitor, then I would probably give it a shot. But, as it stands, I'd rather get my hair ripped out in chunks than pay 2.99 per picture to watch on my POS Moses-brand computer screen. As Shatner shouted on track two of his world-changing album The Transformed Man: "NO THANK YOU! NO, I THANK YOU! AND AGAIN, I THANK YOU!"

www.cinematronica.wordpress.com
A movie review every day for an entire year. Can he handle it? Can YOU handle it?
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:59:23 PM »

Yeah I'd rent movies on my computer, just not at that price, like RBS said. Once it gets cheaper I'd be all over that.

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 10:31:40 PM »

I rented Vampyr from Amazon last week. I like watching movies on my computer, so that doesn't bother me. The only problem is, there aren't a whole lot of movies that I want to see on Amazon yet.
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 11:19:38 PM »

I feel it is worth noting that HDTVs have monitor connections.  With the right cables, you can very easily plug a computer into them.  Myself, I have a laptop that can do regular TV (S-video and composite) out.  I frequently move it over to connect to my projector to watch films, and sometimes lug it into the basement.  This is how I watch the Net Flix On Demand films (I have WiFi on my laptop, and a good WiFi router).  I might add there is no extra charge for that.

$2.99 for an online delivery method is LUDICROUSLY expensive.  There's no store front, no employees, the bandwith cost is minimal, and they don't even have the handling costs of Net Flix.  If it was $1 or less, and they had a large selection of obscure titles (biggest downside of Net Flix's on demand films is a shortage of obscure stuff, particular foreign and sci/fi horror), or something, I'd consider it. 
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 05:24:41 AM »

No.  I find no pleasure in sitting in a folding chair at a desk watching a movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
dean

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 06:58:41 AM »

If internet speeds were fast enough and the price was cheap enough then yeah sure, lock me in.

But at $2.99 I'd say no.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 07:19:15 AM »

No. I'd rather watch them on TV. Plus, any film I'm remotely interested in, I just buy online for less the £3 usually.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 07:28:45 AM »

my uncle can get his laptop to connect to the tv so he can watch movies easily. TeddyR

yeah no.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 09:27:32 AM »

Maybe. As a matter of fact, I do.

Netflix makes certain movies available for instant watching over the internet, and I use that feature a lot to avoid the delay of returning something and waiting for the next movie. Sometimes it's an impulse and you need your instant gratification, you know?

That price model works because I'm not paying by the movie. I have an unlimited number of instant movies per month as part of my Netflix subscription.

As far as watching it on the little bitty computer screen, that doesn't bug me. I like the freedom of being able to watch it anywhere in the house. But actually I was asking the guys at the Mac repair shop if there's a way of hooking the TV to the computer. They say that if I have a VGA to DVI cable, that should work on any newer TV with a DVI input.
Skull
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 10:28:09 AM »

hehe Im not sure how I can vote on this... I have Netflix and they give me an option to see on my computer but I'm not using Netflix to watch movies on the computer... :)
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 11:39:08 AM »

I would be interested if the movie they streamed had the same DVD-like qualities such as chapter selection, subtitle options, audio track options and also had the numerous special features I usually shop for in my rental selection.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Would you rent movies on your computer? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.