Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:38:46 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  America armed, but guns not necessarily loaded ~Historic bullet shortage in U.S. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: America armed, but guns not necessarily loaded ~Historic bullet shortage in U.S.  (Read 3407 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: September 23, 2009, 11:53:42 PM »

America armed, but guns not necessarily loaded 
NEW ORLEANS – Bullet-makers are working around the clock, seven days a week, and still can't keep up with the nation's demand for ammunition.

Shooting ranges, gun dealers and bullet manufacturers say they have never seen such shortages. Bullets, especially for handguns, have been scarce for months because gun enthusiasts are stocking up on ammo, in part because they fear President Barack Obama and the Democratic-controlled Congress will pass antigun legislation — even though nothing specific has been proposed and the president last month signed a law allowing people to carry loaded guns in national parks.

Gun sales spiked when it became clear Obama would be elected a year ago and purchases continued to rise in his first few months of office. The FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System reported that 6.1 million background checks for gun sales were issued from January to May, an increase of 25.6 percent from the same period the year before. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090923/ap_on_re_us/us_ammo_shortage     

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:19:03 AM »

...the president last month signed a law allowing people to carry loaded guns in national parks.

WOW !

The US parks must be really dangerous ! Buggedout

Here's a nice British national park*. Gun free.**

*yes, that's actually a British park. I'm as surprised as you. It's kinda Middle Earthy. TeddyR

**All the people with guns are currently in London shooting each other. Leaving the parks completely safe.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 02:06:24 PM »

I think most people are interested in carrying guns in parks to defend themselves from animals rather than people, though both are a concern, I'd guess.  In Montana I saw a guy with his family in a state park (not a national, different rules) openly carrying a pistol on his hip.  Montana is a very gunny state though.

The new legislation basically brought the parks in line with the rest of the country. 

But yeah, the rush on ammo is ludicrous.  People are dumb.  Even if there is a ban somehow, it'll take forever to go through as they always do in the USA, and Obama shows no signs of doing it anyway.  It's generally thought now that the Assault Weapons Ban in 1994 (a moronic piece of legislation both from an anti-gun train of thought AND a pro-gun train of thought) was a major factor in the democrats losing so many seats in congress in the 1990s - eventually leading to a republican controlled congress and white house. 

They seem to have decided to more-or-less leave that issue alone. 

Ammo prices are crazy now, and even places like Wal-Mart are sold out of like everything and prices are ridiculously high...  Some of the surplus ammos are in the range of 4 to 5 times the price of a year or two ago.
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 04:25:01 PM »

I think most people are interested in carrying guns in parks to defend themselves from animals rather than people, though both are a concern, I'd guess.

True, especially if you are by yourself.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 04:52:07 PM »

I think most people are interested in carrying guns in parks to defend themselves from animals rather than people, though both are a concern, I'd guess.

True, especially if you are by yourself.

That's why I carry in the woods, but my problem has been people's dogs way more than bear or moose (which I see a lot of anyway). I believe there is a law in Alaska that says every Lesbian must own at least 4 dogs that any one of which are too big for her to control, take them to the hiking trails, and allow them to jump on other hikers.

Here's a link to a page of pictures of the area I hike.
http://www.craptasticvoyage.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=994
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 05:05:54 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 05:26:30 PM »

I've got just the opposite problem:  I'm not armed, but it's Friday and I'm getting loaded.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  America armed, but guns not necessarily loaded ~Historic bullet shortage in U.S. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.