Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:15:53 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Eagle has Landed (1976) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Eagle has Landed (1976)  (Read 3502 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 24, 2009, 05:13:22 PM »

Examine your feelings, you know it's true.

Plot: During a meeting, Adolf Hitler proposes his generals to kidnap Winston Churchill. While at first none of them takes the idea seriously, soon one of them learns there's a good posibility in the following weeks, when Churchill will be resting in a small village. Disgraced Colonel Steiner (Michael Caine) leds the mission, with IRA colaborator Devlin (Donald Sutherland) providing ground support. Based on the novel by Jack Higgins.

Comments: What to say? These had the numbers for becoming a first rate yarn, but the mix somehow fails to ignite. The film has everything going for it, starting from a great novel as basis, a terrific cast which includes Robert Duvall, Treat Williams and Donald Pleasence, an adequate budget and is directed by veteran John Sturges.

While I'm pretty sure some people here will object to Caine's British accent, I'd say the big problem is with the script. It takes way to long before the whole operation gets started, and key characters such as Devlin are underdeveloped. Even worse, the nazi plan to make the German soldiers to pose as Polish fails almost inmediately.

Yet, the film has some of that unique charm of the 60-70s war films, a time were nothing needed to be too serious. The final part of the movie is non-stop action, and very well staged action, and damn, Donald Pleasence makes a very creepy Himmler until the very end.  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 12:48:43 PM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 12:36:38 PM »

This is one of those movies I WANT to like . . . but I've seen it about 3 times and it has always seemed somewhat dull.  The last time I watched it was probably 15 years ago, so maybe it's time for another viewing.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 01:08:15 PM »

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED warranted one of my "Dumb Film" reviews:

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,119507.0.html 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:49:19 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Neville

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 01:23:12 PM »

I'm not surprised.  BounceGiggle

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 04:31:13 PM »

I seem to have liked the film more than most of you, but then, I've read the book.

For me, what makes the film is the cast: Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Robert Duvall, Jenny Agutter, Donald Pleasence, Anthony Quayle, Jean Marsh, Judy Geeson, Treat Williams, and Larry Hagman, among others. You can't beat a cast like that.

The film was good, but the book was better (IMHO.) Not the first thing that Jack Higgins ever wrote, but it is the first thing of his that I ever read, and it's what got me hooked on the writings of Harry Patterson. Now I put him down as one of my favorite authors, and one of the greatest action writers of all time.

He writes under the name Jack Higgins, but he was born as Harry Patterson.
Neville

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »

I agree that the book was much better. Higgins is one of those authors who gets less credit than he often deserves, and this adaptation is easily Exhibit #1. He did manage to introduce the whole "nazis came here to kidnap Churchill" in a very effective way, through a prologue in the present day, and under his hands the character of an IRA renegade helping the nazis did almost sound credible.

The movie ditches the prologue in favour of several scenes depicting nazi meetings to plan the action, and although it is refreshing to adopt the nazi POV for a while they soon become tedious. As for the whole IRA renegade thing, the character and his subplot are underwritten to the point the should have jettisoned the whole thing. I can't blame Donald Sutherland for playing the part in such a campy fashion, it was the only way to keep his dignity intact.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:17:31 PM by Neville » Logged

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 03:54:24 PM »

Since the subject of what a great action writer Jack Higgins was, I'd thought I'd continue that topic.

These are the greatest action writers, or, at least, the greatest ones I've ever come across. And while the action scenes may vary in quality from scene to scene, they all had the ability to grind out one action, scene, which if it was not great, was veyr very good.

I'd also put out that a writer who has had some military background can write a better action scene than most civilians.

Known military background
Len Deighton
British military intelligence

Jack Higgins
British army

Alistair Maclean
Royal Navy. World War II

Dennis McKiernan
U.S. Air Force. Korean War

Douglas Niles
Questionable military background, but since he has a niece who is in the American Army, I presue he also has been in the military.

Owen Parry
American Army. A pseudonym.

Barry Sadler
Green Berets. War in Vietnam

J.R.R. Tolkien
British army. World War I.

These are the only ones I know who have no military background, but can wriite a good action scene.

Terry Brooks
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Robert E. Howard

And these are questionable. I have yet to determine whether they have a military background, but they can write a great action scene.

Dafydd Ab Hugh
Robert Cornett
Cy Endfield
REobert Greenberger
C. Walter Hodges
Damian Hunter
Chris Pearson
Kevin D. Randle
Mark Rascovich
Rosemary Sutcliffe, and who is the only woman I have found who can write a great action scene.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »

BoyScoutKevin:

Don't forget Ian Fleming . . . and, for more recent works, I recommend Stephen Hunter.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 04:12:21 PM »

BoyScoutKevin:

Don't forget Ian Fleming . . . and, for more recent works, I recommend Stephen Hunter.

Thanks Burgomaster. Both authors noted. I like Ian Fleming alot, even if it is not for the action sequences in his novels, but, I don't think I've ever read Stephen Hunter, so I'll have to give him a try, as I'm always on the look out for another great action writer. Thanks again for the recommendations.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 10:58:52 PM »

Did I point out my "dumb film" review...??  TeddyR  Lookingup  BounceGiggle  Drink

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,119507.0.html

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 12:32:39 AM »

IMHO this is a good film if you haven't read the book and a terrible one if you have. The cast is great but a bad script ~ except for the fight between Donald Sutherland and the baddie ~ lets the film down, if you consider the source material.

Someone should remake this as a mini-series using Jack Higgins' book for the script.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Eagle has Landed (1976) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.