Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:41:13 AM
712928 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Afghanistan « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Afghanistan  (Read 12869 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »

I was casually discussing global realpolitik with a friend of mine the other day who said (as close to a direct quote as memory serves), "It's time for a Final Solution to the Islamic problem."

The great irony is my friend is a Jew.

Buggedout  sorry, but I have no words...

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »

What was it Nietzche said?  "Whoever fights monsters must take care lest he become a monster."

Still, it seems as if there is an inexorable collision in the offing.  At some point, when the Arab world feels strong enough, they are going to try to take out Israel again.  And if they are close to success, Israel will take out as many of them as it can before going down.  What do you want to bet at least one of Israel's nukes is aimed at Mecca?

However, I believe that the end may well come before things reach that point.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 08:16:24 PM »

the war-

weve all probably had this conversation a million times. sometimes people get a little touchy about it. im not for the war or against it, i just dont understand any of it. i dont think anybody does. i do believe that our leaders dont have our best interest in mind. they are the ones who are profiting off of this war. like every single thing that makes this world go around, this war, like all war is business. im sick of it, it would be nice to go ahead and get on with our lives but everything is being affected now. theres no end in sight, its perpetual. nobody will ever get along over there, they never have. its only a matter of time before somebody gets nuked and WWIII starts. at least we now have a place to test weopons and reason to allow the gov to do whatever the hell it wants to. they have there "great satan" and can get their 72 virgins when they die. i tend to offend people when they get all patriotic on me, even when we agree. i like to ask  "how can somebody fight for my freedom in another country?".  9/11 is a touchy subject too, i like to ask "why should we go to war just because some A-hole crashed a plane into a building?". i think if airport security had done their job, we could have saved thousands of lives and trillions of dollars. please dont be offended, these are just my opinions and i may have gotten off of subject a little.

exterminate all rational thought.....
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 11:52:26 PM »

I'm not offended, but I am somewhat appalled.

Afghanistan sheltered, trained, and sponsored Al Qaeda's training camps, where the 9/11 hijackers prepared for their mission.  Those guys looked into our system, saw where the security flaws were, took advantage of them, and murdered 3000 Americans in a day.  Had we NOT gone into Afghanistan, those same camps would have turned out one terror cell after another, looking for the next weakness - maybe a bucket of Anthrax in the New York Subway's AC system, maybe a suitcase nuke to the Superbowl.  Point is, we went in there and shut them down.  As long as we are there, those camps will never re open.  When we leave, they probably will.  You really think the Taliban will come out and play nice after hiding in caves and losing their soldiers to us for 6 years?  No.  They will talk sweet and diplomatically while plotting to hit us again.  When dealing with people who will willingly die to take out your civilians, the only strategy that works is to keep them on the defensive.  Obama is deliberately abandoning that strategy.  The next 9/11 is the inevitable result.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 10:23:57 AM »

I know that you hate Israel and would just as soon it be gone.  But there is only one historic homeland of the Jewish people in the whole world, and that is in Israel.

what does this have to do with us being in Afghanistan?

We went in there to drive out the taliban and al queda and catch bin laden.

I think indiana smith has inadvertantly pointed out the real reason for all of this:  not America's but Israel's security.

I wish Israel the best.  The israeli people are free, as all nations are too fight for what they feel is theirs.

That is NOT the reason we are SUPPOSED to be in afghanistan.  Other countries security is not the perview of our armed forces as per our constitution.

Afghanistan sheltered, trained, and sponsored Al Qaeda's training camps, where the 9/11 hijackers prepared for their mission.  Those guys looked into our system, saw where the security flaws were, took advantage of them, and murdered 3000 Americans in a day.  Had we NOT gone into Afghanistan, those same camps would have turned out one terror cell after another, looking for the next weakness - maybe a bucket of Anthrax in the New York Subway's AC system, maybe a suitcase nuke to the Superbowl.  Point is, we went in there and shut them down.  As long as we are there, those camps will never re open.

bro,  the planning for 9/11 was sone in Germany and New York , on computers and in hotel rooms as much as in afghanistan.  that's where those cells came together.  YOu know the Hamburg cell?  They weren't called that because they liked eating hamburgers.

more to the point, All those camps are open and bigger and better in pakistan. If we shut those down, somehow,  they will open somplace else.  

We have to address WHY they want to attack us and it's not because of our freedoms.  They don't look at our right to a speedy trial and say that must end.  They want us out of their countries.  that's the reason they have given time and time again.  resentment of americas foreign policy is the gift that keeps on giving for dictators and terrorists alike.  it allows them public support because Muslims really don't like our support of dictators.  can you believe that?  people in egypt, saudi ararbia, Jordan and elsewhere really don't like how we give billions of dollars and weapons to their unelected tyrants!  

When we leave, they probably will.  You really think the Taliban will come out and play nice after hiding in caves and losing their soldiers to us for 6 years?  No.  They will talk sweet and diplomatically while plotting to hit us again.  When dealing with people who will willingly die to take out your civilians, the only strategy that works is to keep them on the defensive.  Obama is deliberately abandoning that strategy.  The next 9/11 is the inevitable result.

???  you seem to have no understanding of the equation here.  there isn't a finite number of terrorists.  terrorism is a  PHENOMENON.   If you kill a thousand terrorist without addressing the underelying problems there will be a thousand more the next day.  People in places like syria and yemen have 10-12 kids.  You can kill a thousand terrorists a day for the next hunddred years and you won't make a dent.  there are a billion muslims,  virtually all of whom want us to butt out in their side of the world.

Bro,  you need to stop reading that neocon stuff, it's got you thinking really batty stuff about the world and you're role as an american in promoting liberty not war.

I 'd recommend you check out michael scheuer or Steven walt.  they have right of center views like yours but a clearer, less dramatic understanding of this issue.

as you may know I very nearly lost two memebers of my family on 911.  My Stepmother was in twoer two in the stairwell when the 2nd plane hit, My father was on the ground outside. i'm not prone to believeing a bunch of nonsense about this, I consider it my duty to prevent another 9/11.  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:41:46 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »

"We have to address WHY they want to attack us and it's not because of our freedoms.  They don't look at our right to a speedy trial and say that must end.  They want us out of their countries.  that's the reason they have given time and time again.  resentment of americas foreign policy is the gift that keeps on giving for dictators and terrorists alike.  it allows them public support because Muslims really don't like our support of dictators.  can you believe that?  people in egypt, saudi ararbia, Jordan and elsewhere really don't like how we give billions of dollars and weapons to their unelected tyrants!"

That's where we part ways.  If we leave the Middle East tomorrow, Israel will fall.  The Islamization of Europe will follow.  Then they will come for us - not in an armed invasion, but pouring out of our prisons, our ghettos, and mosques across America, where they have steadily been preaching hate and winning converts under our noses.

You think these people are rational and they are not.  The goal of Islam is and always has been the forcible conversion of the whole world.  Read the Q'uran, for goodness' sake!  The difference between now and the 12th century is they actually HAVE the money to underwrite their efforts.  U.S. policy wil ALWAYS be antagonistic towards people who want to bend the whole world to their way of thinking.
I would recommend YOU read Mark Steyn's AMERICA ALONE - THE END OF THE WORLD WAS WE KNOW IT.  There is a guy who understands the threat.

I hope our foreign policy will always be such that evil people hate us.  That means we are right.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »

all I can say is leave the neoconservative books ON THE SHELF it is turning YOU into an extremist.

you can believe what you want but my tax dollars are not going to go towards you and your like minded bretherens paranoia.   that's where I draw the line

If islam is such a big problem for you go to the middle east and try to convert them to christianity a la ann coulter.  leave me and this country  out of it

better yet come to your senses and stop it with all this hatefull apocolyptic nonsense.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »

See what religion causes?  Lookingup

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 09:45:58 AM »

There's no Heaven or Hell for me

In my world, there's no religion just clowns, doggetts, movies, dandruff and 80's goodness.

I've also never had a war.

Coincidence ? I think not.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 09:58:32 AM »

all I can say is leave the neoconservative books ON THE SHELF it is turning YOU into an extremist.

you can believe what you want but my tax dollars are not going to go towards you and your like minded bretherens paranoia.   that's where I draw the line

If islam is such a big problem for you go to the middle east and try to convert them to christianity a la ann coulter.  leave me and this country  out of it

better yet come to your senses and stop it with all this hatefull apocolyptic nonsense.

The libertarian world is a beautiful place - leave everybody alone and they will leave us alone. 

A shame life isn't like that.

Circus, it isn't about RELIGION in general.  It's about ONE religion that believes violence is an acceptable tool to win converts, backed up by multiple billions of dollars in Saudi Oil money and a clergy that endorses terrorism.

Before someone brings up the Crusades and the Inquisition and all that tired old stuff again, let me just put it this way:

The church could only justify murder by totally ignoring everything Jesus Christ taught, in an age when 95% of the population were illiterate and did not KNOW what He actually said.  A Christtian who kills in the name of his fatih is  disobeying both Christ's words and His example.

A Muslim who kills in the name of his faith is simply obeying the words and emulating the actions of Muhammad himself.

Lester, I hope you are never in a position to find out how wrong you are about these people. To everyone else, thanks for your patience.

Doggett

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 10:06:06 AM »

Lets not have a fallin' out fellas. Bluesad

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 10:28:34 AM »

It's OK, Doggett!

Lester and I have beaten around this particular Bush many times.  He and I have a profound difference of opinions, but I respect his right to his opinion, and (I think) he respects my right to mine.

And I'll be absolutely honest - I HOPE I am wrong.

But I doubt I am.

Doggett

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 10:33:23 AM »

It's OK, Doggett!

Lester and I have beaten around this particular Bush many times.  He and I have a profound difference of opinions, but I respect his right to his opinion, and (I think) he respects my right to mine.

And I'll be absolutely honest - I HOPE I am wrong.

But I doubt I am.

I'm glad.

Cheers
I'm very fond of the both of you, I just don't want there to be any epic falling out.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 10:33:56 AM »

When it comes to topics like this, people need to avoid pressing the issue, because nobody is going to change anybody's views. We do well on here for not having big bust ups and need to remember we're only posting our opinions most of the time, not facts and commandments.  Smile

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 11:24:49 AM »

The libertarian world is a beautiful place - leave everybody alone and they will leave us alone. 

A shame life isn't like that.

sure, we will always have to have a homeland security mechanism of some kind to keep out determined crazies and stop them from doing harm, but our foreign policy has ALOT to do with the size and intensity of the terrorist phenomenon.  banks have to worry about being robbed, but not as much as they would have to if we had,say, 36% unemployment or something.  not the greatest analogy but the point is our foreign policy heightens rather than lessens the threat.  terrorism is essentially a business that makes money off of our interventionism and business/recruiting would be pretty slow without it.

said.  A Christtian who kills in the name of his fatih is  disobeying both Christ's words and His example.

but isn't this what you're advocating? wasn't Christ the prince of peace?

, I hope you are never in a position to find out how wrong you are about these people.

well thank you. disclosure: I know alot of muslims.  this is how I formed many of my opnions about the region, not by libertarian philosophy.  They are generally rather conservative socially and very into their families and community which is where alot of their resentment of American interventions and globalism and so forth comes from.

there are also non religious issues that simply have to do with land and foreigners on that land.  the palestinian israeli conflict was, until like a decade ago, called the arab israeli conflict and was seen as racial in nature.  it's been "islamized" by the media and that element is there but mainly it's ALL about the west stepping on their turf and the resentment of America and rejection of israel stems from this much moreso than fatwas and so forth.

love thine enemy at any rate
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Afghanistan « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.