Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:00:27 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Surrogates « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Surrogates  (Read 1740 times)
Susan
« on: September 26, 2009, 12:51:49 AM »

If you're thinking of seeing this movie don't waste your time.

Because apparently in the future everyone lives an alternate life through a robot because experiencing life "safely" through a robot where you can literally run like mario does not mean you're going to live an amazing adverturous life.

But you're going to go to work everyday.

Sorry could not get over that completely implausible fact. The whole point of having an alternate reality is to get away from the mundane tasks that are our everyday life which include working.

thats' like buying a ferrari and only parking it in the driveway

So in the future there is no crime because everyone is hooked up to a robot? Um, highly doubt it. So you get to live through a robot and not have to worry about feeling pain, dying or fear. Seriously...

you're going to just go to work everyday?

lol

arghhh!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 07:01:37 AM »

To me it just sounds like a combination of The Matrix and I Robot or something.  A generic mish mash designed by accountants to create a profit margin based on past performance of other products.  Then they hired somebody to write it and gave them a smack over the knuckles with a ruler if they tried to put anything in that hasn't already been in at least 5 other movies.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 07:27:13 AM »

Live life through a robot? Why?
Life-with all it's pain,is still LIVING.
I would rather experiance life-for  real.
The awe of hitchking through the Catskll mountains when I was 16-standing in the middle of nowhere on a mountainside and watching Amish carriages rolling down roads far below me-was breathtaking. I wouldn't trade that for "living" virtually through a robot who could fly or have super powers.
Attending a Black Sabbath performance in upstate NY in '78,me and Tara sitting in a field watching the clouds and laughing,the smile Jed gave at his birth,riding an atv through a brown filed of corn stalk  stubble with my little brother on the back on a cloudy-threatning to snow -November afternoon,staying up late to watch Creature Feature with my brother Mike in the attic room of our old farm house on a summer night,playing kick the can at midnight  in the woods near 3 Mile Lake....that's the real joy of life. That's the stuff that make life bearable for me.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 12:41:36 PM »

If skydiving were safe, it wouldn't be fun (or at least it'd get boring quickly). F#%K SAFE, I want FUN!!!!!!!

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 07:36:39 PM »

That's really the main theme of the movie.

I saw it.  It was OK.  Reasonably entertaining.  That's about as far as I would go with it.

It reminded me of I, Robot a good deal, but I thought I, Robot was a better film in just about every way - particularly the action scenes.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:21:43 AM »

I almost went to see this on saturday, but I read the review in the Boston Globe  and the Globe didn't have anything good to say about it either.  So I stayed home.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »

The awe of hitchking through the Catskll mountains when I was 16-standing in the middle of nowhere on a mountainside and watching Amish carriages rolling down roads far below me-was breathtaking. I wouldn't trade that for "living" virtually through a robot who could fly or have super powers.
Attending a Black Sabbath performance in upstate NY in '78,me and Tara sitting in a field watching the clouds and laughing,the smile Jed gave at his birth,riding an atv through a brown filed of corn stalk  stubble with my little brother on the back on a cloudy-threatning to snow -November afternoon,staying up late to watch Creature Feature with my brother Mike in the attic room of our old farm house on a summer night,playing kick the can at midnight  in the woods near 3 Mile Lake....that's the real joy of life. That's the stuff that make life bearable for me.

Posts like this make me very sorry you disabled your karma, Bela!!

Well said!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 05:52:06 PM »

Well, I was going to post this in the usual place, but, as it has its own thread, I'll post it here.

I found it very "popcornish," but more deep than usual.

Why would anyone want a surrogate? Well, you can dive off a platform thirty feet in the air and land on the dance floor and not break every bone in your body.

That was one of the questions asked. Here are some more?

What does it mean to be human?

Who is our friend?

Who is our enemy?

If we could end crime, homophobia, racism, sexism, but had to give up part of our humanity, would we do it?

And the age old question, is it better to be a slave and fed or hungry and free?

Alot of questions, but not many answers. Maybe they'll come later.

As for the reviews for the film . . . with certain exceptions, which we'll get to later, I seldom read a review for a film.  For a couple of reasons.

Before: I want to see a film completely open minded to it. I don't want to take a chance on being opinionated by someone else's opinion.

After: I usually have better things to do than to read a review for a film.

As I said, there are exceptions to the above. This site, actually, being one of the exceptions. I have found some films I enjoyed, which I had not seen, for example: "Cemetery Man," by reading Andrew's reviews.

I said this about film reviews. It also applies to a review of almost everything else: theater, television, restaurants, music, hotels, cruise ships, books, etc.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Surrogates « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.