Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:39:37 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Parents group is angry over title of Shatner's new sitcom « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Parents group is angry over title of Shatner's new sitcom  (Read 7869 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »

I have my dad to thank for my use of colourful terms that fell out of fashion with just about everybody currently under the age of 60, and a repertoire of ethnic nicknames that nobody uses these days, including me. Oddly enough, he never struck me as any kind of a bigot - more that in the time and place he was raised, these were practically the official names. And to be fair, he generally only used the ethnic slurs to get a rise out of my mom during Good Times or The Jeffersons. Mom, on the other hand, is one of those people with prejudices she's not even aware of, under a surface of "Some of my best friends are....." which I will admit is sincere.

It's a great illustration of what George Carlin has said about offensive words. Should we be concerned about the words people are using, or the thoughts behind them? I've known plenty of people who have used offensive language without an ounce of malice, and people who were utterly polite and nasty as all hell under it. I just find there's a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to offensive language. Too many people equate being nice with being good.

I can think of a great story from a few years back. We were visiting my parents. Ro was still too young to understand spoken words, much less repeat them. In a conversation with my dad, I tossed in one F-word for deliberate emphasis. My mom gets indignant, and tells me with no small amount of pride that she was 16 before she heard her father swear. I pretty much just raised an eyebrow at her, and gave a little wave of my hand toward MY father, as if to say "Why didn't you say this 30-odd years ago, when this guy was constantly talking like a sailor?"

As for this Shatner show, it doesn't even sound like the content is an issue. It's all about the title. I must again quote George Carlin, who placed certain people in the categories of "stupid, full of s**t and f**king nuts" with some occupying all three. This Winter guy seems to think there is an actual expletive in the title that has been bleeped out. For that alone, I'd put him in all three.

Carlin is a great example. I don't necessarily agree with his views, but he used to go out of his way to offend people's sensibilities, and he was also a man of strong principles, honest and sincere. And I have to say that the odd time Carlin offended me, mostly in his later years, it was what he was saying - the meaning - and not how he said it. I had a lot of respect for the guy.

Carlin was one of those precious few who were able to be crude and a class act at the same time. How anyone could start off a show immediately talking about p***y farts and garner as much respect as he did is beyond me. He also had an uncanny ability to have very strong views, express them in offensive ways, yet I don't ever recall a single person every really coming out against him on them. The man was a genius.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Parents group is angry over title of Shatner's new sitcom « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.