Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:04:50 PM
714157 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Starbucks pushing instant coffee « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Starbucks pushing instant coffee  (Read 2326 times)
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 01, 2009, 12:56:46 PM »

Anybody try Starbucks new "via" coffee? They were pushing it today, offering free samples. When I expressed skepticism about instant coffee, the guy behind the counter said that everybody has the same reaction. "Instant coffee, yuck". But then two of them ganged up and started giving me the whole pitch. Thirty years in development, blah blah, not freeze dried, blah, blah, basically ground up coffee beans, it's real coffee, blah, blah.

I didn't bother pointing out that coffee beans do not dissolve in water. Ground up or not. That's why our coffee pots have grounds in them. That's why Greek coffee has all the mud in the bottom. So whatever it is, it's not "just ground up beans".

So I went ahead and tried one of their free samples. My verdict?

Instant coffee, yuck.

Curious about other people's reactions.
SPazzo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My kinda toy...

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 02:16:01 PM »

I actually never had coffee at Starbucks.  I always go to the Canadian coffee house Tim Horton's.  Starbucks has always been too expensive.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 02:48:43 PM »

Around 1991 or 1992, I had a client called CAFE COFFEE.  It was an upstart company with the idea of selling "gourmet" coffee.  This was before the Starbuck's "expensive coffee" craze and many of us wondered if such a concept could ever become profitable.  Not sure whatever happened to CAFE COFFEE (it may exist in some form . . . maybe under a different name or absorbed by a larger company), but it's amazing to me that the whole "designer coffee" premise seemed fairly unusual 20 years ago and now it's everywhere.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 03:32:09 PM »

I don't drink coffee.
Love the smell, hate the taste.   Thumbdown

SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 10:35:03 PM »

f**k Starbucks!!!!!!!

I actually never had coffee at Starbucks.  I always go to the Canadian coffee house Tim Horton's.  Starbucks has always been too expensive.

They have Tims in the states? ( I'm assuming that's where you're from SPazzo.)

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:32:15 AM »

there are actually people to lazy to load a coffee maker. it takes like two seconds wtf?
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:50:25 PM »

f**k Starbucks!!!!!!!

Nope, I'm in Canada.  I live in Saskatchewan.   Thumbup
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 01:00:23 PM »

f**k Starbucks!!!!!!!

We have a lot of Tims here in Western New York.  I'm actually waiting to hear back from one of my local Tims regarding employment.

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 01:21:08 PM »

f**k Starbucks!!!!!!!

We have a lot of Tims here in Western New York.  I'm actually waiting to hear back from one of my local Tims regarding employment.

I've seen them around Boston too.
3mnkids

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »

Instant coffee sucks.  Thumbdown  Im not a big fan of starbucks anyway, I like Seattle's best coffee better. I usually get a large when im at Borders books. yummy.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 01:42:59 PM »

Yeah, that's where I work. It's alright I guess. The tips are good.

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 04:16:17 PM »

Yeah, I remember seeing a thing on the news about the Tims opening in New York.  It made news all over Canada.   Wink
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 09:39:22 PM »

I love a good cup of coffee, and consider Starbucks to be the best in town here in Vegas.  I'm usually all about supporting the independents, but there was only one independent coffee shop here that had coffee as good as Starbucks, and they closed down a few years back.  I can make really good coffee at home very easily with a $40.00 coffee maker and a 15 dollar grinder, so I don't really understand why restaurants, convenient stores, and even many coffee shops can't seem to ever get it right.  Anyway, before I digress any further.  Someone gave me some of the Starbucks instant coffee to try.  While it is not as good as Starbuck's regular fresh brewed coffee, it's by far the best instant coffee I have ever tried, and better than many of the pre-ground coffees I have tried.  It's also better than AM/PM, 7-11, etc.  I liked it, and plan on getting some to take with me when I go on trips.  It's way better than the pre-ground coffee they provide for people to make in hotel rooms.  As for the question of how it dissolves in water if it is really ground coffee beans, I don't think it does dissolve in the water.  It is micro-ground, which causes the particles to not be noticeable in the coffee.  Of course, as with all coffee, one of the biggest mistakes people make is adding too much water or using too little coffee.  With the Starbucks instant,  I probably wouldn't want to use more than 6 ounces of water to a packet of coffee.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 12:40:17 PM »

I like Starbucks coffee too, stop at one in Alhambra on the way to work, I haven't taken the Via test and probably won't because I don't like instant coffee. There is one person who I hope will like it, a Marine Lance Corporal stationed in Afghanistan. Apparently he told his family in Alhambra that he really missed Starbucks coffee, they told the local Starbucks and now any one who wants can purchase Via instant for this Marine and they will ship it to him. It looks like he's going to get about 30 - 40 pounds of it.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 12:43:15 PM »

Starbucks to me is the equivillant of cocaine in a cup.  Expensive and it gives me the jitters.  No thanks...in any form.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Starbucks pushing instant coffee « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.