Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:20:43 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  1/2 Children Born Today May Live To Be 100 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1/2 Children Born Today May Live To Be 100  (Read 2982 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: October 02, 2009, 11:05:56 AM »

Congrats @ the new generation. I once took a three-page questionnaire after a long physical that said I was projected to live to be 87.5, but a hundred life expectancy for so many, wow...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8284574.stm

Half of babies 'will live to 100'

More than half of babies now born in the UK and other wealthy nations will live to 100 years, researchers say.

The study, published in The Lancet journal, also says the extra years are spent with less serious disability.

Data from more than 30 developed countries shows that since 1950 the probability of surviving past 80 years of age has doubled for both sexes.

One expert said healthy behaviours for all ages was the key to enjoying living a long life.

Professor Kaare Christensen, of the Danish Ageing Research Centre at the University of Southern Denmark, who led the study, said life expectancy had been increasing since 1840 and there was no sign of this trend slowing down.

He said: "The linear increase in record life expectancy for more than 165 years does not suggest a looming limit to human lifespan.

"If life expectancy were approaching a limit, some deceleration of progress would probably occur."

In 1950 the probability of surviving for between 80 and 90 years of age was, on average, 15 to 16% for women and 12% for men.

In 2002, these figures had risen to 37% for women and 25% for men.

The study points out that until the 1920s, improvements in infant and childhood survival contributed most to the increase in life expectancies.

Since then the increases have been fuelled by progress in the survival of the elderly, which has been particularly evident since the 1970s.

Four 'ages of man'

The researchers said that man could now be regarded as having four stages of life - child, adult, young old age and old old age.

They said there was no evidence that the old old age group were unhealthier than their younger counterparts, partly because the frailest people died first, leaving the most robust to survive past 85.

Danish research had shown that as many as 30% to 40% of individuals were independent from the ages of 92 to 100.

And a study of US super-centenarians (age 110 to 119 years) showed that, even at these advanced ages, 40% needed little assistance or were independent.

Professor Christensen said that in the UK and other countries there was evidence of a postponement in the limitations and disabilities caused by ill-health, despite an increase in chronic diseases.

This was because of improvements in the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses such as heart disease and cancer.

He said: "Increasing numbers of people at old and very old ages will pose major challenges for health-care systems.

"Present evidence, however, suggests that people are not only living longer than they did previously, but also they are living longer, with less disability and fewer functional limitations."

Some researchers have suggested that growing rates of obesity will limit lifespan - but Professor Christensen said such predictions were too simplistic.

He said: "Life is a lottery and some obese people will live to a 100 and some thin people will die early. "

Professor Alan Maryon-Davis, president of the Faculty of Public Health, said there were still concerns that obesity and unhealthy behaviours would shorten many people's lives.

He said: "It's great that as a nation we're living longer and staying younger - but let's do what we can to help those who find it harder to lead healthy lives."

The Department of Health said rising life expectancy would have an impact on the future funding of care services in England.

A spokesman said it would look at the study's findings.

"We know that the shape of our society is changing... We want to make sure that people who are living longer continue to enjoy a good quality of life. By 2040 we expect 1.7m more adults will have a care need.

"We want to be able to offer really good care to everyone who needs it, so we need to radically change the way the system is funded."

Plans for a National Care Service to provide free at-home support for elderly people in the greatest need were announced by the prime minister at the Labour Party conference.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 06:06:41 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8284574.stm

More than half of babies now born in the UK and other wealthy nations will live to 100 years, researchers say.

One "expert" said healthy behaviours for all ages was the key to enjoying living a long life.

Oh man, the BBC are idiots. Do these "experts" know most kids in this country are smoking, drinking getting ASBOs and are stressed out with kids of their own before they're even 10 years old? We're not all born in Kensington with silver spoons in our mouths, and with the recession and the pension scheme screwed, I just don't see it. I have no idea how most ppl will reach the grand old age of 100 in years to come. I think ppl will start dying younger IMO.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:46:41 AM by Circus_Circus » Logged

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 06:44:24 AM »

Who would want to live to 100 ?

You'd be a sick, feeble, old guy ???
 Bluesad

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 10:15:42 AM »

Bluesad

I would, I'd like to be that 100 year old guy that hangs out at strip clubs.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:52:35 AM »

Bluesad

I would, I'd like to be that 100 year old guy that hangs out at strip clubs.

Only rich old guys do that.

It won't make ya rich, ghouck.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  1/2 Children Born Today May Live To Be 100 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.