Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:34 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Thriller: A Cruel Picture « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thriller: A Cruel Picture  (Read 19626 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: October 04, 2008, 08:20:56 PM »

Frigga was kidnapped, forced to become a heroin-addicted prostitute, and had her eye cut out for scratching a customer.  She is, to say the least, a very angry one-eyed hooker with a sawed-off double-barreled shotgun.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Dr_Malavaqua
Dedicated Viewer

Blind & vengeful

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 05:01:10 AM »

Thumbup Nice review, I might have to track this one down!

About the original title: "Thriller: en grym film".
The Swedish equivalent to "cruel" in this case is an intentional(I think!) play on words as it can also be interpreted as "bad ass"!

So the title could also be.. "Thriller: a bad ass movie"  Smile

"...and there was much rejoicing!"
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 03:55:14 PM »

Good review.   Smile

I read that Frigga's character was Quentin Tarantino's inspiration for the character of Elle Driver in Kill Bill.
By the way, Christina is on the Badmovies.org Myspace friends list.  (she has been for some time) 
http://www.myspace.com/christinalindberg

I think she was smokin' hot back then!   Thumbup  Those eyes...hell, everything about her in those old photos is supremely attractive.

EDIT by Andrew: fixed the link
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:09:24 AM by Andrew » Logged
Sardu
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 02:14:02 AM »

I'm confused!  "Stuff to watch for" doesn't list any random gratuitous breast shots and yet there's breasteses referred in the list of characters and even a picture.  is this because they aren't gratuitous, they aren't random, or (in the case of Slap-happy Lesbian) aren't actually recognized as breasts as defined by the Geneva Convention??
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:08:36 AM »

So the title could also be.. "Thriller: a bad ass movie"  Smile

That is a good play on words; it's unfortunate that it gets lost in the translation.  In the theme of exploitation titling, the American title "They Call Her One-Eye" is my favorite.

I read that Frigga's character was Quentin Tarantino's inspiration for the character of Elle Driver in Kill Bill.
By the way, Christina is on the Badmovies.org Myspace friends list.  (she has been for some time) 
http://www.myspace.com/christinalindberg 

You could argue that he also took away the idea of the main female protagonist being subjected to physical trauma and sexual assault that she was powerless to stop (well, until Uma woke up in "Kill Bill").  Then you add in the element of a lost child.  I watched "The Black Cat" (1934) the other night.  There is a calm antagonism between the opposing players in that, along with the lost child aspect.  "Kill Bill" ends up being a mixture of 70's exploitation, the purposeful battles of wills from really old movies, and then a bunch of modern hyper-action.

I'm confused!  "Stuff to watch for" doesn't list any random gratuitous breast shots and yet there's breasteses referred in the list of characters and even a picture.  is this because they aren't gratuitous, they aren't random, or (in the case of Slap-happy Lesbian) aren't actually recognized as breasts as defined by the Geneva Convention??

Calling them random gratuitous breast shots didn't seem right.  The whole film is mean and depraved, and whenever we see Frigga naked she is being abused.  By the time she starts her revenge spree she is obviously nuts.  Frigga also hurts some innocent bystanders, but you cheer her on in it because you understand how she got to be that way.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Lurple
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 10:24:04 AM »

A rough movie for sure, definitely goes better with some Jack. The nudity is not enjoyable, as you mentioned. There's been debate over which cut is better; I've only seen the uncut version and I doubt you'll get any enjoyment out of the extra footage, but I think it does add to the vile horror of the whole movie.

The vengeance is more enjoyable. The cars that explode on contact are awesome.
Robbie Ryan
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 03:04:44 PM »

Thumbup
This movie is fantastic. I rented it a year or so ago and was amazed at what passed for "R" rated back in the 70s. Another interesting trivia note is that there was a real girl used when Tony sliced her eye open.

You all have to admit, it makes you a bit squeamish when you see it...apparently
at a Stockholm hospital there was a cadaver wheeled in ( a young girl, maybe
a heroin-addicted teen prosty?) and the film crew was able to do the shot in
the hospital.

Very disturbing...even more so than Heartbeeps.
BixDugan
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 01:08:54 PM »

If a good review makes one want to see a movie, then this is a Great Review. I'm not sure what that says about me...Oh, wait.
I'm sure...

VWs are pretty fast off the line, BTW. Light weight makes cornering easier, too.
Mark2
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 04:00:41 PM »

I'm pretty sure the "real corpse used" story has been debunked by now, but either way it's a very unpleasant scene. I didn't like the movie though - too grim to be entertaining and too silly to be anything more than an exploitation movie (albeit one that isn't much fun to watch).
Furious_George
New Visitor

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 07:16:02 AM »

Lol, that review makes this movie sound like a masterpiece. Kudos.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Thriller: A Cruel Picture « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.