Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:19:09 AM
713348 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  what was the first ever movie sequel? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: what was the first ever movie sequel?  (Read 14384 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: October 04, 2009, 08:24:29 PM »

...and by that I specifically mean a sequel that was *directly related* to the original in some way or another, as opposed to an Abbot + Costello/Laurel + Hardy/Carry On... type sequel which was just another film of a similar nature 'involving' the main players...

was it The Godfather Part 2? - that's the best I can come up with.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:28:25 PM by DCA » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:38:03 PM »

The first official sequel was Fall of a Nation (1916), the sequel to Birth of a Nation (1915).

According to Wikipedia, the first movie sequel to use "2" in it's name was The French Connection 2The Godfather Part 2 was the first to use "Part 2" in it's name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequel
http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-18406.html
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 08:51:30 PM »

The first official sequel was Fall of a Nation (1916), the sequel to Birth of a Nation (1915).

According to Wikipedia, the first movie sequel to use "2" in it's name was The French Connection 2The Godfather Part 2 was the first to use "Part 2" in it's name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequel
http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-18406.html

french connection 2, good call. forgot about that. karma!

as for those other two early 1900's ones, their names make them sound like documentaries. were they actually 'film's in the true sense? - can't be bothered to trog thru all that wikipedia stuff, lol

SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »

Well, the Birth of a Nation can be seen here:  http://www.archive.org/details/dw_griffith_birth_of_a_nation  (Public Domain).

It isn't so much a documentary as it is a docudrama of the American Civil War, with some pretty racist undertones.  Here is the plot summery from IMDb:

The Civil War divides friends and destroys families, but that's nothing compared to the anarchy in the black-ruled South after the war.

And then a still from the movie:

Yeah...  Buggedout  (Don't shoot the messenger, by the way).
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 09:48:43 PM »

And then a still from the movie:

Yeah...  Buggedout  (Don't shoot the messenger, by the way).

lordy...even Tarantino couldn't think up that kind of s**t, lol

Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 09:49:14 PM »

Paul Wegener's DER GOLEM (1921) is actually the third film in a trilogy, and a prequel to the original DER GOLEM.  The original film and the first sequel, THE GOLEM AND THE DANCING GIRL, have since been lost.  

That's the earliest scifi/fantasy/horror sequel I've been able to find.  

SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 09:52:11 PM »

What a good question! I never thought about it.

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »

Paul Wegener's DER GOLEM (1921) is actually the third film in a trilogy, and a prequel to the original DER GOLEM.  The original film and the first sequel, THE GOLEM AND THE DANCING GIRL, have since been lost.  

Do you know what I would give to see Der Golem?  It might not be the first monster rampage set to film but as far as I've been able to determine it's the first one that's a real "movie", as we understand the term.  Earlier ones had been shorts.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 10:34:50 PM »

so I take it 2 of those films in that trilogy had the same title? never heard of them, unsurprisingly enough...very interesting all the same, thanks
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:36:52 PM by DCA » Logged

Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 11:50:58 PM »

so I take it 2 of those films in that trilogy had the same title? never heard of them, unsurprisingly enough...very interesting all the same, thanks

Technically, the one that survived to the present is "The Golem: How He Came Into the World" which I can never remember the full German for, and am too lazy to look it up at the moment.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 10:07:43 AM »

Let's not forget:

* FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950) / FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND (1951)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Raffine

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 12:51:10 PM »

Technically, the one that survived to the present is "The Golem: How He Came Into the World" which I can never remember the full German for, and am too lazy to look it up at the moment.

THE GOLEM AND THE DANCING GIRL sounds like a real hoot. According to what I've read it was a comedy(!) in which a 'dancing girl' (sometimes translated as a prostitute) falls for Wegener's Golem character after seeing the first film. Wegener, playing himself, find out somehow and decides to make a play for the girl - so he puts on his Golem get up to seduce her, or scare her, or something.  

Fritz Lang made a sound sequel THE TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE (1932) to his silent DR. MABUSE: THE GAMBLER (1922). Since Saucerman isn't looking up original German titles neither am I!  TeddyR

Both DRACULA (1931) and FRANKENSTEIN (1931) had sequels (DRACULA'S DAUGHTER and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN) in which the action takes up moments after the ending of the original films.

I can't think of other sequels in which the action picks up immediately from the previous film. Well, I guess HALLOWEEN.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:53:36 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 01:02:26 PM »

...and by that I specifically mean a sequel that was *directly related* to the original in some way or another, as opposed to an Abbot + Costello/Laurel + Hardy/Carry On... type sequel which was just another film of a similar nature 'involving' the main players...

Well, that probably rules out the "Thin Man" sequels (1930s) where William Powell and Myrna Loy kept reprising their characters as not-quite retired detective married to rich girl.

I'm trying to think of any other examples of a similar vintage that I personally know of but failing. The Father of the Bride/Father's Little Dividend example might be the oldest talkie example.

French Connection 2 as the first one with "2" in the title sounds about right. Also in the 70s we have "Oliver's Story", a terrible film nobody liked which was a sequel to the very popular "Love Story". That might be about the last time a sequel DIDN'T have a "2" in it.

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 01:04:10 PM »

Both DRACULA (1931) and FRANKENSTEIN (1931) had sequels (DRACULA'S DAUGHTER and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN) in which the action takes up moments after the ending of the original films.

(Head slap). BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. An obvious one. Can't believe I didn't think of that one.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 08:04:06 AM »

Nice topic.  Smile

In South Africa, it was almost certainly King Solomon's Mines (1918) followed by Allan Quatermaine (1919).

The first is still in existence and the second is unfortunately lost.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  what was the first ever movie sequel? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.