Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:57:12 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Gold hitting new highs daily « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gold hitting new highs daily  (Read 3831 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: October 08, 2009, 10:32:30 AM »

http://www.kitco.com/charts/popup/au24hr3day.html

up to $1050 an ounce today.  

Gold was around $300 an ounce in 2000.  It was 20$ an ounce for most of Americas history when we had something called the Gold Standard.  Sinc we officially left the gold standard  in the early 70's it has been rising, and our currency falling.

If youare curious about how or why check out American Advisor  aka the Gold show.

It's a daily show that is about 1/2 hour long.  If you can ignore the sales pitch every few minutes the guy who does the show has been in the gold market since before most of us were born.  

If you want to be so bold as to call in they send you a Kennedy half dollar for free! I got one.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:35:07 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:35:59 AM »

I suspect some speculators are manipulating the market. There was a brief period once (in the 70s as I recall) when silver prices all of a sudden started going through the roof with no explanation. Eventually it came out that two brothers were cornering the market on silver.

Ah, don't you love Wikipedia? It was the Hunt brothers and the spike was in 1979 and 1980.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornering_the_market

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 10:44:32 AM »

the gold market is MUCH bigger than the silver market. it would be very difficult for someone to do what the hunt brothers did with silver, cornering the market as it were.

The gold market is closely correlated to the dollar, which is dropping like crazy. and the money supply which is rising like crazy
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 02:40:48 PM »

And this is when you should not buy gold. If you want to buy gold, as anything, you should buy it at its lows. For if you check the history of gold prices you'll see that as quick as the price of gold rises, it can as quickly fall. The only person who should think of buying gold is a person with enough money to hold on to the gold, if the price does fall, till the price rises  to what they paid for it in the first place. Unless you are looking to take a loss on its purchase.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:46:48 PM »

And this is when you should not buy gold. If you want to buy gold, as anything, you should buy it at its lows. For if you check the history of gold prices you'll see that as quick as the price of gold rises, it can as quickly fall. The only person who should think of buying gold is a person with enough money to hold on to the gold, if the price does fall, till the price rises  to what they paid for it in the first place. Unless you are looking to take a loss on its purchase.

Buy low, sell high?  Way too obvious.  Sure, you'll get rich doing it, but where's the thrill in knowing your in on some secret "system" the general investing public is too stupid and timid to try out?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:27:47 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit 1300
BTM

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 04:22:36 PM »

Ah... I have no extra money to invest in anything (unless of course, "Penny Stocks" really take after their name.) So, personally, I could care less if Gold rises or falls.  Seems to me like, no matter what, the current economy in the area I live is still going to suck.

Did you know though some people invest in wine?  That's pretty funky... never thought that'd be something you could put money in.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:51:46 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 04:47:45 PM »

Oh, yes. You can invest in anything that you think people will buy. Automobiles, baseball cards, housing, etc. Of course, the problem with this, is what goes up, can also go down, sometimes precipitously, as people who invested in both baseball cards and houses found to their dismay. The demand for both going down precipitously, and people who invested in them at their high, losing the money they invested.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 06:04:15 PM »

yeah it's tough.  gold is dialed in to the dollar and the money supply.  so to get out of this recession, they are printing tons of money, which I think is a pretty stupid way of doing it.  also, our general lack of economic health and tendency to need tons of moneys for wars has led to something very bad and that is our currency being volatile. 

other countries are tired of not knowing what their american dollars are going to be worth from day to day.  our currency was chosen as the worlds reserve currency backed when it was constant under the gold standard.   now, it doens't make sense.

if the dollar loses it's reserve status, gold will go up above 2,000 and beyond and we will really be up a creek. 

if you think that is just crazy talk,  think about the fact that gold was 300 dollars an ounce a few years ago in 2000.  now it's 1000+.  that's really a measure of how much money we've printed and how much standing we have lost, basically.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 04:29:58 PM »

getting up near 1100 now.

awesome comment from a poster at the yahoo stock forum (GLD) "the price of gold is like a "s**t Index" for the quality of life here"
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 05:31:54 PM »

Small | Large

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »

Of course, if you sell it to a "cash for gold" store, they'll give you about $40 and ounce for it.  Bastards.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 12:56:51 PM »

Of course, if you sell it to a "cash for gold" store, they'll give you about $40 and ounce for it.  Bastards.
\

But how can you resist those "charming" Arnie impressions?

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 03:51:50 AM »

Cash4Gold and Dollars4Gold - big time scammers there. How they get away with those TV ads I do wonder....

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 06:05:34 PM »

I don't know what you aguys are saying here.  cash 4 gold gives people cash for their gold.  My dad brought his school ring he never wears in and got like 900 or something.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Gold hitting new highs daily « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.