Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:52:56 AM
713396 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Nu Metal, Looking Back « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nu Metal, Looking Back  (Read 7237 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: October 09, 2009, 06:22:36 PM »

From Wikipedia...
Nu metal is an umbrella term coined in the late 1990s to refer to music that blends grunge,[1] alternative metal, funk metal, hip hop, and various other heavy metal influences such as industrial, groove and thrash.[citation needed]

Looking back,  it really was a whiny genre wasn't it?  Looking at the band listed on the list below, all I think of is whiny songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nu_metal_bands

Although I have to admit I really enjoy Korn's first album which proved to be aggressive and twisted at times.  But then the band, much like the scene, got so damn whiny that I couldn't take it anymore.  It seemed every damn band during that time was putting out something about how life sucks.  For me, it was a very dark time in music and by the way...THERES NO DAMN CRYING IN METAL!!!

So I guess my point of bringing this up is, did we get anything good out of this post grunge genre?  Did it lead to anything breakthrough?  Are we out of it yet? Thoughts?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 06:40:31 PM »

It's over, barring a few bands that are slowly changing their style or are going underground again. If there's bands and albums that people really like from that period, then that's great, but I always felt most of it had no musical merit and ended up being corporate rock like almost every scene did. When I was growing up I remember watching all the music channels and hearing the radio and thinking "this is heavy, I like that, but it's missing something?". I'd then switch to VH1 classic later on and be blown away by all the great groups from the 60s, 70s and in particular the 80s. I just noticed the vast difference in musicianship and overall feel-good factor. All my friends at the time were into nu-metal and all the pop-punk bands and I was totally disillusioned by it all. I found it quite easy to get people into stuff I liked rather than what was just popular at the time.

On top of that, I found no inspiration looking at ugly guys in baggy pants and backward caps ranting about being bullied at school over detuned basses and guitars (They suck, plus they're richer than me wtf!?). Compare that to seeing KISS on TV, huge stage, make-up, flashy costumes, upbeat music about living life to the fullest and most importantly ballsy, bluesy hard rock played well. I like bands that play well or play catchy, preferably both. Not bands that play badly and aren't catchy. Music is always entertainment to me, not being screamed the harsh realities of life  on every track, unhelpfully mixed by DJ *insert goofy name*.

Give me rock n' roll and give me death.  TeddyR

Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 07:24:23 PM »

On top of that, I found no inspiration looking at ugly guys in baggy pants and backward caps ranting about being bullied at school over detuned basses and guitars (They suck, plus they're richer than me wtf!?). Compare that to seeing KISS on TV, huge stage, make-up, flashy costumes, upbeat music about living life to the fullest and most importantly ballsy, bluesy hard rock played well.

My sentiments exactly.  Put some effort into stuff.  

And yes...DJs have little to no place in rock.

Another thing, I think this kind of music helped spawn a generation of moody suburban youths who are mad at their parents.  

DarkSider's Realm

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:00:19 PM »

From Wikipedia...
Nu metal is an umbrella term coined in the late 1990s to refer to music that blends grunge,[1] alternative metal, funk metal, hip hop, and various other heavy metal influences such as industrial, groove and thrash.[citation needed]

Looking back,  it really was a whiny genre wasn't it?  Looking at the band listed on the list below, all I think of is whiny songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nu_metal_bands

Although I have to admit I really enjoy Korn's first album which proved to be aggressive and twisted at times.  But then the band, much like the scene, got so damn whiny that I couldn't take it anymore.  It seemed every damn band during that time was putting out something about how life sucks.  For me, it was a very dark time in music and by the way...THERES NO DAMN CRYING IN METAL!!!

So I guess my point of bringing this up is, did we get anything good out of this post grunge genre?  Did it lead to anything breakthrough?  Are we out of it yet? Thoughts?

Korn was a great group, at least for about 3 albums or so.  By '99 it got kinda, like, eh.  I can't say there's anything 'breakthrough' about it, and fortunately, most of those bands seem to have disappeared. 

I gotta admit though, at the time, I was a big fan of a lot of them, at least some of the ones on that list: Kid Rock, Korn, Disturbed, Kittie, Limp Bizkit.  Kid Rock was great, still is.  Beyond him, I don't really listen to any of their new stuff.

By the way, a dj here in Philly named KiddChris interviewed Aaron Lewis, lead singer of Staind, one of those 'nu-metal' groups.  He asked him, "You know, the record company gave you $15 million to record three crappy albums.  Why are you still 'angry' when you should be living it up in a house in Mexico?"

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 04:40:03 PM »

Hey, know what's really funny? I just happened to read that Puddle Of Mudd's last album was called "Famous" and their last single was "Livin' On Borrowed Time". That was almost 3 years ago....

Oh the irony! BounceGiggle

Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 06:04:12 PM »

I'd like to say this lead to the popularity of EMO but it was an already established scene.  Seems one in the same to me.

DarkSider's Realm

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 06:07:16 PM »

I'd like to say this lead to the popularity of EMO but it was an already established scene.  Seems one in the same to me.

Emo is probably worse. The bands can't play a lick, can't sing a note and are even wussier. <Is that even a word?

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 06:40:44 PM »

Emo is probably worse. The bands can't play a lick, can't sing a note and are even wussier. <Is that even a word?
I dunno if it's a word, but I can't STAND emo bands. 

voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »

I absolutedly HATED pretty much all of the numetal bands. I was always into underground metal, electronic music, and 80s music and seeing a band like Limp Bizkit get so huge was a f**king insult to me. I remember seeing their first video "Counterfeit" on MuchMusic's Loud and the opening line "Hey man wake up and smell the concrete" was the lamest thing I'd ever heard. This was before they got huge, and the song itself was about fake people, kinda ironic coming from Fred Durst really. Korn always sucked. Disturbed sucked. Puddle Of Mudd sucked. I'm glad that it's pretty much gone these days, but now we have to contend with lame kiddie pop (ie: Jonas Brothers), emo, and crappy metalcore. Popular music sucks and it always will.  Hatred

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 08:11:34 PM »

I absolutedly HATED pretty much all of the numetal bands. I was always into underground metal, electronic music, and 80s music and seeing a band like Limp Bizkit get so huge was a f**king insult to me. I remember seeing their first video "Counterfeit" on MuchMusic's Loud and the opening line "Hey man wake up and smell the concrete" was the lamest thing I'd ever heard. This was before they got huge, and the song itself was about fake people, kinda ironic coming from Fred Durst really. Korn always sucked. Disturbed sucked. Puddle Of Mudd sucked. I'm glad that it's pretty much gone these days, but now we have to contend with lame kiddie pop (ie: Jonas Brothers), emo, and crappy metalcore. Popular music sucks and it always will.  Hatred
Limp Bizkit always was a terrible band.  Apparently, they're working on a 'comeback' album.  Of those bands, Disturbed really seems to be the one that's really out there now, but their first album was the best one they put out.  After that, downhill.

Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 08:48:45 PM »

Disturbed...I saw them live on some show.  One of the most boring things I've ever witnessed.  Though my wife said she saw them when they were relatively unknown and they were great showmen.  The lead singer totally irritates me.  If they do one thing right though its cover songs. 

DarkSider's Realm

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »

Disturbed...I saw them live on some show.  One of the most boring things I've ever witnessed.  Though my wife said she saw them when they were relatively unknown and they were great showmen.  The lead singer totally irritates me.  If they do one thing right though its cover songs. 
Their live show sucks.  Again, I only believe their first album was worth buying.  I have the second and third, but don't listen to em.

voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 10:32:41 PM »

WAKAKAKAKA! I mean, what the hell is up with thatTeddyR

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 10:49:54 PM »

WAKAKAKAKA! I mean, what the hell is up with thatTeddyR

I dunno.
I love this version better, it's by Richard Cheese.  So unfitting.  Ha.
Small | Large

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 07:22:59 AM »

I never listened to nu metal at all.  Quit listening to nu anything around the early '90s.  Some of the rhythm guitar work was nice (emphasis on some), but the "singing" was horrible - they were either rapping or else the vocals were so heavily processed that it sounded like a Dalek.  Overall it left me feeling as if I was listening to a bunch of beginner level band members trying as hard as possible to sound exactly like everyone else.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Nu Metal, Looking Back « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.