Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:15:52 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fritz the Cat (1972) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fritz the Cat (1972)  (Read 3651 times)
SPazzo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My kinda toy...

« on: October 12, 2009, 06:27:49 PM »

Just watched this, and I have to say it's the funniest cartoon ever!  It was the first X-rated cartoon ever made.  I'm sure most of you have seen it so I'll skip the plot summery, and I couldn't find a clip/trailer that was SFW. 

7/10

Anyone ever watched it?
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »

This is one that I haven't seen since sometime in the 80s, the only scene I really remember was when the cops/pigs were banging on the door. I'll have to watch it again. I think that I saw The 9 Lives of Fritz the Cat once too. R. Crumb hated Bakshi's film so much that he killed the character off  Buggedout 

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:46:37 PM »

"They've killed Fritz!" "They've killed Fritz!"

The man responsible for this film was also responsible for "Wizards," which is reviewed at this website.  Which leads me to wonder if there is some connection with the name Fritz in both "Fritz the Cat" and "Wizards."

Looking at everything that Ralph Bakshi has done, both in films and for TV, he's one of the most underrated filmmakers out there, especially for his TV work, which would include "Mighty Heroes" with such heroes as Cuckoo Man, Diaper Man, Rope Man, etc.
BUREINPARESU
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:35:35 PM »

I frigging love Bakshi, though I've only seen Coonskin and Hey Good Lookin', I'm eager to see other things he's done.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »

I frigging love Bakshi, though I've only seen Coonskin and Hey Good Lookin', I'm eager to see other things he's done.

For a long time Ralph Bakshi was my favorite animator, I even got to meet the guy at a convention back in 1986 when I was 13. Over three nights they played Wizards, Lord Of The Rings, and Fire and Ice in a theater there which was awesome. I am a huge Wizards fan, I remember saving up $80 for when it was first released on VHS in 1987 back when video tapes cost an arm and a leg.

His earlier films are obviously more controversial in nature, and I like those too Fritz the Cat, Heavy Traffic, Coonskin, but his fantasy films are my favorites. Fire and Ice while it has a pretty straightforward story has some of the best barbarian action in any film live action or animated. The Peter Jackson LOTR owes a huge debt to Bakshi's version flaws and all.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 12:42:34 PM »

I saw FRITZ THE CAT on a VHS tape . . . must have been about 25 years ago . . . but I don't remember much about it. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 02:27:49 PM »

I can't recommend it enough to any and all animation fans.

It might seem revolting, or outright stupid, but it is also a time machine. Watching it is almost an act of archeology.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Javakoala
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 05:33:08 PM »

I saw FRITZ THE CAT on a VHS tape . . . must have been about 25 years ago . . . but I don't remember much about it. 

Hmmmmm...were we partaking of anything substance that might cause memory loss at the time?   BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 08:46:42 PM »

That's pretty much exactly my experience with the movie. I do remember that I'd heard a lot of good things about it, finally borrowed a tape somebody had made of his parents' ginormous satellite dish, and really found it kind of disappointing. Maybe I'd appreciate it more as a window on its time if I saw it today.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 11:03:39 PM »

Hee hee.. Skip Hinnant, the voice of Fritz The Cat, was a regular cast member of the childrens program "The Electric Company"!  TeddyR

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 06:03:31 PM »

American Pop is enough to turn anyone off to animation altogether. I have yet to see anything Bakshi has made that I remotely liked. Have never seen Fritz though, so maybe that one is okay, but I'm definately gunshy to watch it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fritz the Cat (1972) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.