Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:50:15 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  This Health Care Reform Thing « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: This Health Care Reform Thing  (Read 5964 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: October 13, 2009, 09:24:40 PM »

If you live in the U.S., this health care reform thing is all over the news.

I'm an avid news watcher and one thing I've noticed is the lack of a solid, laymans explanation of what they're trying to do to our health care system.
I'll read things on news websites and watch clips about it on the news but none of them have offered a simple, easy to understand and comprehensive explanation.

All I hear about it is Democrats this and Republicans that.  So and so senator voted this and so on and so on.

I'm 35 years old and haven't had health insurance since I was 18.
That's a long time to go without it so I'm very interested in what's going on with all of this because it could affect me.

Can someone please lay out a simple explanation of what they hope to accomplish with this whole health care reform thing?
Jim H

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:17:15 AM »

I must admit I find a lot of the explanations pretty damn poor myself.  Don't even bother trying to read any of the bills themselves.  They're long and incomprehensible.

As a start, I think it is important to state that they're arguing over exactly what they're doing, so it is in flux right now a bit.

I'll try to give my own understanding.  The basic thing they are trying to do (or at least say they're trying to do): make health care better and more available and more affordable.  The way they're trying to do this is variant.  Basic things are attempting to eliminate layers of bureaucracy and interference that inflate costs, increase efficiency across the board, and introduce something to promote competition between private insurers. 

The current bill looks like it will *require* everyone to have at least basic health insurance.  The lowest income people will be subsidized to meet costs.  Private insurers will be forced to take people with pre-existing conditions, health problems, and will be limited in how high premiums can go.  There will be a sort of marketplace where you can easily shop between different insurance programs, POSSIBLY including one run by the government.

The bill isn't finalized yet, so...  We don't know any of this for sure.  It looks like no matter what happens, people who can't afford insurance now will be at least a little better off.
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:59:43 AM »

I don't really want any arguments (*cough* *cough* fail photo thread *cough*) but I just wanted to say this:  I live in Canada where health care is free.  I, nor anyone I know personally, has had any trouble because of: wait times, medical denies, high taxes, or any other problems about free health care that I have heard about.

I REALLY want to stay neutral on this site, but I just had to say that.  Sorry guys.  Bluesad
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 01:22:16 AM »

I don't really want any arguments (*cough* *cough* fail photo thread *cough*) but I just wanted to say this:  I live in Canada where health care is free.  I, nor anyone I know personally, has had any trouble because of: wait times, medical denies, high taxes, or any other problems about free health care that I have heard about.

I REALLY want to stay neutral on this site, but I just had to say that.  Sorry guys.  Bluesad

For what it's worth, I think the US would be far better off under a Candian style system.  Or one like Germany, for example, where the insurance companies are forced to be non-profit and have pretty strict government regulation.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 06:35:06 AM »

Wow...

I'm pretty grateful for the NHS right now.  TeddyR

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 09:02:18 AM »

Wow...

Yeah, even though they suck....BAD!  BounceGiggle

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 09:22:34 AM »

I think it wil be another disaster a la the iraq war, farm subsidies and every other intervention into the world / economy our government has ever done.

unlike Iraq at least hopefully some ordinary american people might be able to derive some actual benfit from it, if the whole thing isn't scrapped right away due to the latest crisis:  the crashing of the Us dollar.

and then after that I think it's frogs, then locusts, ...and I can't remember what's after that
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 09:27:17 AM »

Wow...

Hey, I've had no problems with it.

Unless what you said was a joke involving that nurse.....

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 09:28:39 AM »

Wow...

Hey, I've had no problems with it.

Unless what you said was a joke involving that nurse.....

I meant hospitals really not clinics. I like my little 'ol clinic.  TeddyR

BTM

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 12:27:28 AM »

Ever had to go in for a MRI or CT scan?  Maybe it's not true, but I've heard the waiting lists on both is at least a month.

I'm curious, what are the malpractice lawsuits like up there?  Do they have a lot greedy trial lawyers in Canada?  Just curious...

That's a major part of the problem in the US, doctor's are so worried about being sued they order a lot of unnecessary tests (also why malpractice insurance rates are so high and why so damn much paperwork needs to be filled out.) 

And yes Rev, I'm blaming lawyers again :)

Also, why is private health care practices flourishing over in Canada?  And did you ever notice there are never any NEW drugs developed in Canada?

Again, I could be totally wrong here, but I'm hearing too much from too many sources on the downside of government run health care (Canada and Europe in particular) for me to just dismiss as untrue.  Maybe it's different in the particular area of Canada you live in, or maybe you're in relatively good health so you haven't needed too much in that area.  Or maybe I'm just cynical, who knows?

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 12:34:26 AM »

Again, I could be totally wrong here, but I'm hearing too much from too many sources on the downside of government run health care (Canada and Europe in particular) for me to just dismiss as untrue.  Maybe it's different in the particular area of Canada you live in, or maybe you're in relatively good health so you haven't needed too much in that area.  Or maybe I'm just cynical, who knows?

All capitalist propaganda. Privatization is the worst thing ever. Well maybe not.... It is good to have a choice of public or private health care, I guess. But having to have to pay for health care seems inhuman to me.

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
BTM

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 12:37:10 AM »

Going back to the Obama Health Plan, on the surface, I'm all for the idea of cutting back bureaucracy and fraud, but here's the thing: when have you EVER known the government to do that?  

What we need to do IMHO is cap the attorneys so they've not going around suing everyone for any and no reason (John Edwards), and be able to buy insurance across state lines, increasing competition.  But, sadly, NO ONE In Congress is willing to take on tort reform.

Call me cynical, I don't believe the whole "let the government take care of everything" is the way to go.  

Another note, ever notice that when a lot celebrity Europeans need an operation done, they usually come HERE to America to get it?  Why is that, I wonder?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:58:07 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
3mnkids

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 07:26:13 AM »

Going back to the Obama Health Plan, on the surface, I'm all for the idea of cutting back bureaucracy and fraud, but here's the thing: when have you EVER known the government to do that?  

What we need to do IMHO is cap the attorneys so they've no going around suing everyone for any and no reason (John Edwards), be able to buy insurance across state lines, increasing competition.  But, sadly, NO ONE In Congress is willing to take on tort reform.

Call my cynical, I don't believe the whole "let the government take care of everything" is the way to go.  

Another note, ever notice that when a lot celebrity Europeans need an operation done, they usually come HERE to America to get it?  Why is that, I wonder?
I wouldnt say that I think "let the government take care of everything" but... I believe there should be a public option for people who can not afford heath insurance on their own. We have become a nation of me first and I hate that. Republicans and conservatives love to say I want my country back.. yeah, me too. You know, back when people actually cared about what happened to their neighbor. When people went out of their way to help those less fortunate than themselves. 

Those screaming the loudest about reform are the elderly, those on medicare.. that is a government run program and while it has its problems, it helps more than it hurts.

No one should die in this country because they couldn't afford to go to the doctor, no one should die because some pencil pusher sitting at a desk decides he can save the company money by denying a dying person a procedure that could save their life. The insurance company CEOs have gotten rich off killing people. Its been too long in coming that people have another option, other than paying their premiums every month and praying that they dont get sick.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »

I'm curious, what are the malpractice lawsuits like up there?  Do they have a lot greedy trial lawyers in Canada?  Just curious...

That's a major part of the problem in the US, doctor's are so worried about being sued they order a lot of unnecessary tests (also why malpractice insurance rates are so high and why so damn much paperwork needs to be filled out.) 

And yes Rev, I'm blaming lawyers again :)

That's a part of the problem of health care costs, and I fully support tort reform.  Don't quote me on the figures, but I believe the Congressional Budget Office estimates that tort reform could save $41 billion in health care costs. 

We have a saying in this profession: it's 90% of lawyers that give the other 10% a bad name.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »

Ever had to go in for a MRI or CT scan?  Maybe it's not true, but I've heard the waiting lists on both is at least a month.

Maybe, as far as I know the MRI or CT scan waiting lists aren't that long.  I haven't had to go for one so I wouldn't know, but I'll ask someone who would.

There was some condition that, recently, was having a long waiting list.  I think it was some sort of surgery.  (Any other Canadians want to help me out here?)  But what I DO remember was that it wasn't a surgery for a life threatening condition.

I honestly haven't heard too much on the news about Malpractice suits.  Maybe I'm just reading the wrong parts of the newspaper.

Let me just say one thing: I'm 16!  I'm not supposed to care about this stuff.  At least none of my friends don't.  I was actually born in the states and I moved to Canada several years ago.  The reason was free health care!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  This Health Care Reform Thing « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.