Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:17:05 AM
714329 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The difference in moderators/webmasters/everyone « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The difference in moderators/webmasters/everyone  (Read 14228 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: October 14, 2009, 11:31:46 AM »

Ash brought up to me that he feels the different colors for the text and slime drops for the profiles of moderators and webmasters could give the impression that there is an elite clique on the board.  That was never my intent, and I understand why Ash views it that way. 

I guess that the different colors has always been there, since the forum by default has settings for different groups - and I just went ahead and used that idea.  The different colors does let me quickly identify if one of the moderators or other b-movie webmasters is around when I am.  To me that is a useful difference that should hopefully not imply  entitlement.

On the other hand, using different graphics (slimes, vice stars) under a poster's name when they are a mod or webmaster definitely feels elitist when I look at it now.  That probably should change, to something based on post count entirely (as most everyone is).

Just opening this up for discussion, so please chime in with what you think.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »

I've always understood that those colors and icons were there to differentiate moderators from regular posters. I have absolutely no problems with it at all. Maybe the moderators could just vote on what particular icon or color they want to use, otherwise I don't see why this would need to be an issue at all.  Smile

3mnkids

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »

I dont think its elitist at all.  Smile   If someone has a question for a mod or admin its easier to spot them when they have something different under their name.  sure you could just put MOD or ADMIN but that's boring.  TeddyR

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 01:19:41 PM »

Not a problem.   I like being able to see the mods/webbies easily.  (Funny thing: the *worst* boards for elitism that I have been on have been those where the mods' identities were kept hidden.  Lots of cliques and nastiness on those ones.)  I think elitism rearing its ugly head has more to do with the actual behaviour of those who do have some official standing: you have a good bunch here so it is not an issue.  If something works: don't fix it!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 02:30:36 PM »

I've been getting that cliquey vibe on this board for awhile now.
For many years it wasn't there.  Then it just seemed to slowly creep up within the last year or so.
I'm not trying to start trouble by bringing it up, but it is how I feel at the moment.

Maybe it's just me.  Maybe it isn't.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 03:11:04 PM »

I don't feel a a vibe.

But....I kinda would like to be a colour. I don't want to be a moderator....just a colour.
Could you make it happen, Andrew ?

Please.
Pretty please with a cherry on top.  Smile
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:14:15 PM by Doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »

I'm a mod and a webmaster.  Regardless of that I feel there aren't any "cliques" here.  Its an open discussion forum and if people want to talk about items, they do.   If they choose not to, they do so as well.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »

I've never even noticed, which shows you how clueless I am!

But it is nice to know who the mods are, and no, I don't feel left out.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 10:55:58 PM »

Even with being a 4-slime drop webmaster, I never got the impression of any sort of "BETTER" groups here like on most other forum boards. 

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 11:10:56 PM »

Hmm. I'm a mod and hadn't really noticed this. I noticed that some people had slimes and others had stars, but I never really thought about why. I guess Indy isn't the only clueless one.  TongueOut

And if I have ever made anyone feel belittled on this board, I apologize.

Now, excuse me--I must get back to the mods-only part of the board. We're streaming Girls Gone Wild - Spring Break tonight.  Buggedout BounceGiggle Twirling TeddyR

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
venomx
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 11:43:19 PM »

Can I please have BLACK text with 4 or 5 cans of soda under my name? jk

I don't feel a a vibe. I think the mods and web masters are all cool.
paula
Bad Movie Lover

Just give me hairspray and I can rule the world!

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 12:04:48 AM »

Can I please have BLACK text with 4 or 5 cans of soda under my name? jk

yes, and i want hairspray icons for mine.

i am new here, but i have had no vibe on any 'cliques'.  there are people that post alot, and over the years have developed friendships, thats the only vibe i see, and it is a good thing.  if i post for a few years, i will def. have other users who i know and trust.  and the newbs a few years from now will say 'paula is in a clique', it is the circle of life.  For example, I have traded posts and karma with Circus and Doggett more-I see connections forming there.  It doesn't mean I don't like Darksider or skullbat...just haven't had a chance to connect with them yet.

dont change the icons.  i have seen the overwhelming number of people say they do not have a prob. with the slime drops.  keep em.

"What about the American Dream?"
"It came true!  You're looking at it!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 12:06:18 AM »

...Its an open discussion forum and if people want to talk about items, they do.   If they choose not to, they do so as well.
Sometimes the decision is made for us.  Drink 

Don't know about "slimes" or "stars". 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 12:16:13 AM »

I never got any elitist cliquey vibes, but I'm socially clueless and inept, virtually and in real life.  Cheers 

I always assume that there are pre-existing relationships on these things so I never pay attention really. Just do my own thing. Twirling

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
paula
Bad Movie Lover

Just give me hairspray and I can rule the world!

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 12:24:59 AM »

i think we all have bigger fish to fry....

"What about the American Dream?"
"It came true!  You're looking at it!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The difference in moderators/webmasters/everyone « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.