Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:58:11 PM
714229 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I bought my FIRST cell phone (and I can't use it yet)! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I bought my FIRST cell phone (and I can't use it yet)!  (Read 2887 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 14, 2009, 11:37:50 PM »

This is weird...

With the situation of my car breaking down twice in about a year's time, I finally decided I was tired of not having a way to call someone when this happens, so I made up my mind to finally buy a cell phone.  I didn't want anything fancy (or expensive), didn't need a camera, to browse the net, send texts or anything like that, just wanted something that would dial numbers for an emergency.  I went over the electronics section in Wal-Mart, told the sales lady what I wanted and she recommend I get a Tracphone.

Now, here's the funny part (well, the first funny part): turns out these guys who sell phones are smart, they won't let you get away with just "having" a phone and letting your minutes roll over from month to month without you paying anything, even with these so-called "pay as you go" cell phones.  No sir, you have to buy minutes every so often (whether you need them or not) to keep the phone service active.  In this case, it's once every three months.  

I went ahead and got a calling card for 60 minutes of talk time to go with the phone  (crazily enough the card costs the same at the phone itself, around $20.00.)  I could have bought the $15 one, but I guess I wanted the pouch and the few other zany extras that came with it.  According to the sales lady, without the card, I only would have had 10 minutes to start with, and you know, you can be on hold for that length of time with some numbers.

Taking my new toy home, I set about activating the new phone.  I went to the website, put in my basic information, then I entered the activation number, then they wanted me to put in my zip code, and then the "SIM" number (no idea what "SIM" stands for, but it was a number I had to go navigating through the cell phone menu screens to find.)  I punched in the number and I got an error message saying, "There is a problem with your number, please call Customer Service at (800 number)". .  

I hit the Back button and try again, same result.

Well, shoot, I thought.

I call these guys up and, after speaking a bit to a slightly accented fellow, he tells me he's going to mail me a new SIM number.  I ask him why he needs to do this and he tells me the SIM number that came with the phone does NOT work in the zip code I provided.

Say what?

Ooookay.  I have NO idea what that means.  He tells me the new number may take up to "three to five days" to arrive.  Now, here's the funny,  I bought this damn phone for emergencies, and instead of getting it work the day I buy (like I wanted), I have to wait several more days.  I tell you, if something happens between now and then and I gotta walk several more miles along the highway because this company couldn't organize their crap better, I'm going to be p**sED.

But, knock on wood, hopefully that won't happen.

Still, it's a monumental occasion for me, I've bought my FIRST cell phone.  Woo-hoo!  Now, if only I could actually use it...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:46:16 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 06:06:29 AM »

I ask him why he needs to do this and he tells me the SIM number that came with the phone does NOT work in the zip code I provided.

Your phone wants you to move into a nicer area.  TeddyR
It refuses to work under the current conditions.

BounceGiggle

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
3mnkids

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 07:00:22 AM »

congrats on the phone.  Cheers  Sorry it didn't work out like it was supposed to. Hopefully you will get the new sim card quickly. My 2 oldest use tracphones. Its cheap, they can text, and when they run out of time they use their allowance to buy more minutes. works out great.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 07:27:55 AM »

Our kids have cell phones - "In case of emergency" was the reason I was given.  So far, 19 trillion calls, still no emergency.  Our two youngest don't even answer the damned things when my wife or I call (they only answer calls from important people like their friends), so I fail to see what use they would be in an emergency.  So I've just shut it out of my mind;  I pay the bill and don't think about it.  I find that to be the case with about 90% of the stuff in my life.  But I digress...

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
BTM

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »

Your phone wants you to move into a nicer area.  TeddyR
It refuses to work under the current conditions.

BounceGiggle

Hell, I WANT me to move to a nicer area, one with an actual job market, but I can't afford it right now.

BTM

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »

Our kids have cell phones - "In case of emergency" was the reason I was given.  So far, 19 trillion calls, still no emergency.  Our two youngest don't even answer the damned things when my wife or I call (they only answer calls from important people like their friends), so I fail to see what use they would be in an emergency. 

That's the downside of caller ID, they're like "Uh, oh, it's dad! I'll just let voicemail get that..."  I wouldn't be surprised if they even have a special ring tone set up for when you guys call.  (Insert your own joke here, can't think of anything clever)

BTW, how many kids you have, how old are they?  (If you don't mind me asking.)

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 05:41:26 PM »

Three kids, the girls are 19 and 17, and our son is 14.  Our oldest one actually answers the phone when I call - I'm so proud  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I bought my FIRST cell phone (and I can't use it yet)! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.